Chiangmai To Phrae

MagnumForce

Hi,

I hope some of the more experienced Northern Thai travellers can help me out here please?

I will shortly need to travel to Phrae on a regular basis, in particular Amphur Long. What are the best options?

What I think so far is:

(a) take the bus to Phrae city from CM and get a taxi/sawngtheaw to Long (any details about bus fares and times would be appreciated if anyone has them to hand)

(:) apparently I can take a train which stops in a little station called Ban Pin in Amphur Long even though this is not referenced on the Northern Line Train timetable. It seems to be an unofficial stop between Lampang and Den Chai which is past Phrae City but in provincial Phrae. From Ban Pin is there some sawngtheaw facility catering to the local areas?

© drive my Honda Click. Perhaps this is unfeasible given the distance involved but if anyone has done this on a small bike like mine maybe they could offer some advice.

I don't have a car and I don't want to fly even if that option is still available with SGA (I think).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

MF

It is an easy ride to Amphoe Long on a motorcycle. But it will be a few hours of riding. The majority of the way is divided highway until east of Lampang, and then it is very good road the rest of the way on Hwy 11. Take the left onto RD 1023 to Amphoe Long and then follow to Phrae without having to travel to Den Chai. I do not know the area that well, but I would imagine that the bus to Den Chai would stop at the intersection with 1023 with connections on local taxis to Long. You might want to spend the night at the Thepavong Place guesthouse in Phrae and talk to the owner, Karl, to get his advice on local transportation options.

If you have to do it on a regular basis, then I think motorbike is not your best choice. But like mentioned. It might be a good idea for the first time, and then trying to figure out at your destination what is the best way to get to Chiang Mai, this is often more easy then how to get there.

You don't need to go all the way into the town of Phrae to get to Amphur Long, as you reach the latter long before the former when travelling down route 11 from Chiangmai/Lampang. Turn left on the 1023 long before (sorry!) you get to Den Chai. Two hours by car; four by m/bike? Not sure which way the bus goes, but presume it may go via Den Chai.

CMMCB

Note that likely not all trains stop at that station. You will need to check the timetable for some of the smaller local trains. Typically those timetabels aren't in English. Note that you can take your motorbike on the train, that might work.

Good point about the Ban Pin stop. When you say the smaller local trains, do you mean there are trains that run say from Chiangmai to Den Chai only for example, that are not listed on the Northern Line timetable. Unfortunately, I can't read Thai. :)

I didn't know you could bring the motorbike on board. How does one go about that when one doesn't speak Thai and how much does it cost WTK, if you know please?

Thanks for your input.

MF

You can take a bus, Green Bus, from Chiang Mai and get off at the intersection where you'll see the police stop and box in Long (but not in downtown of Long) and if you have anyone in Long you know, you might need to call them to pick you up from there because I'm not sure if there is any songthaew waiting there. But if this sounds a bit inconvenient then just take the bus all the way from Chiang Mai to Phrae, get off the bus at Phrae bus station then take a songthaew back to Long.