Note Of Caution

doppa

recently i had 5 punctures over 6 days, even with my bad luck this just wasn't right.

eventually hauled the bike down town to the big yamaha garage, simple answer, when i bought the bike [ from a samaller yamaha retailer] i changed the wheels from ordinary spoked to the alloy 5 spoked, what they and myself didnt know was, there is a special tyre that is supposed to be fitted to alloy wheels, one that doesnt have an inner tube, and if you get a nail or whatever in it, leave it in, until you can get back to the main shop, just keep topping the air up.

10 days later no punctures, but knowing my luck as we speak i'll.......

are tubless tires in general less likely to be punctured or does it not matter. i have the original wheels and innertube tires. But very willing to change to tubeless if that reduces the chances of pushing you bike after enjoying an evening in town.

are tubless tires in general less likely to be punctured or does it not matter. i have the original wheels and innertube tires. But very willing to change to tubeless if that reduces the chances of pushing you bike after enjoying an evening in town.

i guess what im saying is that for alloy wheels , the rear tire definitely tubeless, i would imagine it applies to all makes of bikes with alloy wheels.

It is often suggested on the "Bikes in Thailand" forum that alloy wheels with tubeless tires (assuming one is very careful about pressure in both cases) are LESS likely to get a puncture. The tire is stronger. Also, it is said that in the case of an inner tube that heat from friction might lead the thinner tube to rupture quickly, resulting in a greater risk of a blowout. We have in support of this idea that autos use tubeless.

Repair is a different issue. Tube-tires can usually be fixed more easily by anyone, as it is not necessary to dismount the wheel. Tubeless tires must be fixed from inside for the best repair (though there are kits for this with mushroom plugs - for carrying by those who fix their own and are going into sparsely populated areas).

Spokes, of course, cannot be counted upon to retain air - sometimes they even assault the tube from inside the rim. But it is said that they are more strong that some alloy wheels.

Edited by CMX

thanks for the input CMX, can you tell me, can you specifically purchase a tyre to suit tubeless and tubed, I cant imagine the Thais would do such a thing for such a cheap tyre, im saying both tyres are one and the same.