The Mekong At The Golden Triangle Today

sceadugenga

It looks like there is plenty of water unless it is an optical illusion and the water level has no depth?

How deep is it in the middle?

I expected to see it about 1/2 the size

Big 'C' upstream probably let just enough water come down river so as their freighters could make it to Chaeng Saen/Chaeng Khong to off load..I don't think they were being nice to the millions of river folk and marine animals that are dying.

It looks like there is plenty of water unless it is an optical illusion and the water level has no depth?

How deep is it in the middle?

I expected to see it about 1/2 the size

Big 'C' upstream probably let just enough water come down river so as their freighters could make it to Chaeng Saen/Chaeng Khong to off load..I don't think they were being nice to the millions of river folk and marine animals that are dying.

As I said in another thread on this subject. last month I observed some kids playing in the sand on a rock outcrop/island next to the navigable channel. The rock was approx 2 meters high. Its almost submerged now. This took place over a couple of days, thats a lot of water. As to where it came from , the locals always mention the dams and the chinese but who knows. I'm sure the mekong would like another ten metres or so though. Hopefully its going to get healthier with the upcomming rain season.

Nice photo's, that's at Sob Ruak isn't it? Great big shiny golden buddha, big elephant statues where they want 40 baht for you to climb up and have a photo? Souvenir shops and a pub on the corner of the car park? :) nice to see it again, I'll be back there in a few weeks time. It does seem as though the water levels have risen a bit, are the cargo ships getting through now?