Marrying A Thai With No Job

2) The embassy doesn't deny you permission to marry. All they do is verify that you are not currently married. The purpose of this LEGAL document is for the Thai government (MFA) to allow you to marry. The Thai government (MFA) does not have access to your records in the US so they rely on the US Embassy to do record checks.
I'm sorry but this is just wrong, no checks of any sort are made by anyone, the British Consulate even put a big stamp on the completed form, stating it has not been checked in any way. I am pretty sure that the US Embassy makes no checks either. When you get married in the UK no checks are made so see if you are already married, does that happen in the US?

This is just a way for the Thai authorities to tax foreigners. There is no legal standing for this document in any country in the world.

@sarahsbloke,

Your advice is flat out wrong and IRRESPONSIBLE!! It is acceptable to be wrong but not irresponsible.

If any thing, the one check done by the US Consulate is when the affiant/deponent indicates on the Affidavit that he/she is Single, or not currently legally married, or legally divorced. Hello!

Also, in the United States of America, the Affidavit that you sworn and signed in front of a US Consulate officer is legal and binding. Hello!

PS

Occupation, as far as I know you can claim many legitimate occupations, if you are self-employed and have savings, just employ yourself to do anything you like.

This week I am paying myself to design rockets, so my occupation this week is rocket scientist.

Next week I plan on paying myself to dissect a few animals so my occupation will be animal vivisectionist.

The week after I will pay myself to teach my wife to swim,so I can claim to be a swimming instructor.

Reality and the truth are really very flexible concepts.

"Unemployed" or "not employed" is not an occupation and therefore should never be used on any forms asking for your occupation, "unemployed" is is a state of being where you are seeking employment and unable to find it ........ it doesn't apply to many of us in Thailand.

Again, in the United States of America, occupation and income are legal terms defined by the Internal Revenue Service codes (Tax codes). The fact is that your reality is distorted because you deny yourself to be truthful.

"Unemployment occurs when a person is available and willing to work but currently without work." (Wikipedia)

Not employed occurs when a person is not actively seeking a job and currently has no desire or willingness to work. Many people don't make the distinction between unemployed and not employed.

You may be correct when you stated that "it doesn't apply to many of us in Thailand". However, the affidavit is being filled out and signed in the US Consulate. The US Consulate is considered US soil and so it matters to the United States government. Hello!

Edited by tripplejjj

I had a non immigrant type "b" visa when I first came here and it expired in 2008. Since then we have traveled for about 4 months together on and off through Vietnam, China, Nepal, Singapore and Malaysia. In between the visas received from those countries and returning back to the States twice, I have been staying in Thailand on tourist visas. I am currently on a tourist visa. While we wait for her visa to process to get back to the states, which I understand takes about 8 months, I am going to get an education visa starting next month.

There really are some quite unhelpful people on this thread. May I suggest you logon to one of the other forums. Maybe the one that rhymes with 'Meak bore"

Anyway back to the question. Your future Mother in law has expressed a desire for you to marry her daughter. Why don't you do just that?

Get a nice Thai wedding ceremony organised. I'm quite sure Mum in law will be chuffed to bits to have a nice party in the house/village/whatever for all to see her daughter marrying a young Farang.

With Mum happy you then have time to sort out how you can both get back to the states either officially married or unmarried.

From one source:

"Federal law makes it illegal to intentionally make false statements in any matter “within the jurisdiction” of the government. With the ever far-reaching powers of the federal government, much of what you say or lie about can be construed as a lie within government’s jurisdiction.

For example, you lie about the number of hours you worked on your time sheet and submitted it to your employer. Your employer submitted these documents to the government under some regulatory obligation. Guess what? Your little lies could be a federal crime, which could get you in big trouble with the law, should the government have an interest in something related to you, your employer, or the like. You could find yourself in a mess of trouble even if your lies never particularly influenced anyone, so long as they are under the scope of Uncle Sam’s power.

So, why would the government want to nail you for a little white lie? Doesn’t the government go after the “big fish?” While many federal officials are honest individuals, who do not wish to intentionally abuse Section 1001, there are some who are willing to use this statute to get to what they believe is justice. Additionally, any power, and particularly the enormous power proffered by Section 1001, has the propensity to corrupt. With pressure to crack down on white-collar crime, corporate corruption, and even terrorism, the temptations to abuse Section 1001 can be great."

Thaigift

Sorry if this have been answered before but after the first 10 or so replies I stopped reading because of the noise some posters tend to post instead of answering your questions. My advice is to ignore them and sort through the replies. Some people on this forum think the only Thai girl you can meet is a bar girl, everyone out side of Bangkok or not of Thai-Chinese decent is a bar girl, maybe because they themselves have not been able to meet other than bar girls and then wonder why it not works out between not considering the 20-40 year age gap.

I got married in January and my official income is around 30K baht a month, I needed a piece of paper from the Danish embassy to get married and it basically said:

I were single.

The number of kids I had (0)

My monthly income.

Don't lie on the statement, ask your embassy for advice maybe they know the minimum income you have to have if there is one. As far as I know there isn't one. When we went to the office to get married they only looked quickly at the papers and I don't even think they opened my passport.

From my personal experience the whole living together without being married is not accepted by some people, in the beginning we bought a couple of rings and just told people outside the family we were married. We haven't had the big Buddhist wedding yet but its coming in the next year or so when my whole family can come to Thailand and attend.

My best advice, ignore the haters and follow your heart.

Again, in the United States of America, occupation and income are legal terms defined by the Internal Revenue Service codes (Tax codes).

We aren't in America, thank god. (which I consider to be one of the most oppressive and aggressive countries in the world)

Courtesy Isaan Lawyers translation Police Order 777/2551

2.18 (6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

So if Kuhn Sp.'s income is 30K per month, on what basis is he staying in the Kingdom and for how long can he do so? If he has a teacher's job with a WP, then HE is not answering the OP's query as the OP in the topic title itself states that he does not have a job...

So indeed follow your heart but you maybe have to check it in the 'Left Luggage' once you enter the local Immigration office.

BTW to the bloke: My long-time line is: In any national capital how do you find the American Embassy? You look for the longest line.

Edited by jazzbo

Again, in the United States of America, occupation and income are legal terms defined by the Internal Revenue Service codes (Tax codes).

We aren't in America, thank god. (which I consider to be one of the most oppressive and aggressive countries in the world)

Here we go - American bashing has just started :):D

@sarahsbloke,

The truth escapes you again because you refuse to see it. As I stated:

the affidavit is being filled out and signed in the US Consulate. The US Consulate is considered US soil and so it matters to the United States government.
Double Hello!

Here we go - American bashing has just started :D:D

usa bashing is good :D:D

it shows usa is still the greatest country on the the planet :D:D

though obama is trying hard to make us like britian :) , whatever that is :D

Here is a serious reply: unless you are filthy rich, you have no business hanging out in a foreign country without a job and thinking of getting married, especially if its your potential future mother in law making the suggestion. Wake up, dude.

NONSENSE! if you love this girl, are prepared to honor and treat her well, do the good/right thing good things will happen to you

do not give up

the power of love is the most powerful force on earth

shee dont need a farang loll shee need a Bank for take care Papa Mama what ever its the true thats why i dont wont Married in Thailand you married the girl n the familly 2

only bright side with my ex was one of her sister is a civil servant so the parents are on her social security ; think twice about having father in law in hospital with no or little coverage and your wife is asked over the phone for X thousand dollars for medical bills - which will be a change from car mechanic bills Edited by souvenirdeparis