International Schools In Chiang Mai

Daisychain

Hi, we are hoping to move next April to Chiang Mai. We have 2 children aged 5 & 7 years that only speak English and are in English education system.

Can anyone recommend the best international schools in Chiang Mai, we do not want them to board, for English speaking children.

Thank you

You can get some info and contact details here:-

http://www.isat.or.th/home.asp.htm

'Best' is a subjective term and needs to be balanced against other key variables, not least cost... The widely acknowledged 'best' school, in my circle at least, is Prem, however with a strong Baht it is getting very expensive and I know of a couple of parents pulling their kids out to go to one of the more affordable schools.

Give the web site a try and then contact the schools directly (not all will have places available anyway).

I'm hoping to send my son who is now 2 1/2 to Lanna International School. The fees are quite reasonable and they follow the British National Curriculum. The medium of instruction is English (though of course there are Thai language and culture lessons).

My kids are at Lanna and this month we have been asked to pay a 10,000 Baht deposit per child in order to secure their places for next term (starts August). As the least expensive international school in town it is getting heavily subscribed (and is the destination of choice for those parents I know pulling out of Prem).

I'm hoping to send my son who is now 2 1/2 to Lanna International School. The fees are quite reasonable and they follow the British National Curriculum. The medium of instruction is English (though of course there are Thai language and culture lessons).

christ man, what have you got against your son?

I did smile, but in fairness the OP explicitly stated that their children are presently in the English system, and thus the reference was pertinent.

Welcome to the forum Daisy

1. As someone has stated, there are a lot of personal variables which determine which school might be best for you ... perhaps if you described in detail what you are seeking then folks can give a more targetted response

2. There are many previous discussion threads in the chiangmai forum on this topic so it would be worth learning how to use the forum search facility to find and study of some of these ... see top right this page ... and be sure to specify chiangmai sub forum only & search topic titles only (using key words like chiang mai international school)

Welcome to the forum Daisy

1. As someone has stated, there are a lot of personal variables which determine which school might be best for you ... perhaps if you described in detail what you are seeking then folks can give a more targetted response

2. There are many previous discussion threads in the chiangmai forum on this topic so it would be worth learning how to use the forum search facility to find and study of some of these ... see top right this page ... and be sure to specify chiangmai sub forum only & search topic titles only (using key words like chiang mai international school)

The OP (Daisychain) made it quite clear that the two children have to date, only been educated in an English school environment. Why don't the FM's who have responded read the OP's posting the way in which it was written and then respond accordingly. :)

The OP (Daisychain) made it quite clear that the two children have to date, only been educated in an English school environment. Why don't the FM's who have responded read the OP's posting the way in which it was written and then respond accordingly. :)

I'm not sure why the responses on this thread should cause you to frown?

My kids also have been educated under the English system only, but there are many variables one must consider and previous experience is just one of them. I, for instance, would happily move my children under the US system rather than move my family to BKK, Pattaya or Phuket (due to other variables such as availability, price or quality of teaching).

The ops question is in regard to English speaking international schools. I can think of Lanna, Prem, APIS, CMI, Grace and Nakorn Payap. Given the minimal information we have to go on from the OP, I think it would be remiss of us with local knowledge to disregard any of the English language schools at this juncture.

Thanks for the information. we are open to American schools and British teaching schools.

Both girls are currently in the 'best' state school of the town we live in, which is not brilliant by any means, therefore I did not use the correct terms.

I am basically interested in views of parents, how the children feel and the standard of education.

From websites I think that the Lanna and American Pacific is it, look the best. We are travelling nearer to the end of the year to view schools.

It is always helpful it get an insiders view.

Thank you for your comments

I did smile, but in fairness the OP explicitly stated that their children are presently in the English system, and thus the reference was pertinent.

Additionally, I am a former UK Primary School teacher who taught the National curriculum for 15 years. There's nothing wrong wiht the curriculum per se, just the manner in which it was implented, the way OFSTED chose to inspect it and the ridiculous testing regime (SATS) that went along with it.

Additionally, I am a former UK Primary School teacher who taught the National curriculum for 15 years. There's nothing wrong wiht the curriculum per se, just the manner in which it was implented, the way OFSTED chose to inspect it and the ridiculous testing regime (SATS) that went along with it.

Tried to find your establishment the other day on a rare trip into town (to buy some shirts) but couldn't spot it...

I did finally find out where the 'red lion' was.. but what I thought was the 'UN Irish' was in fact O'Malleys.. oh well..

where are you please?

The OP (Daisychain) made it quite clear that the two children have to date, only been educated in an English school environment. Why don't the FM's who have responded read the OP's posting the way in which it was written and then respond accordingly. :D

Think before you type, turkey. Whether the school has a british or US curriculum is only one variable. Budget is another important variable. The location of the school within Chiang Mai is another. Religous affiliation and degree to which it is imposed another. If your read some of the earlier threads I mentioned, you would have some appreciation of these and other concerns that parents have re: the choice of school. :)

Just on the left after the tarty area. :)

If I had the dosh it'd be Prem all the way... out in the country, good curriculum, superior facilities. CMIS, while supposedly really good, is unfortunately right in town along with Dara and Prince, meaning there's horrendous traffic getting in and out. Lanna's supposed to be okay and is out of town, but lacks on the sporting and music front so I hear. Nakorn Payap is in a good spot on the inner ring road - between the Mae Rim and Mae Jo roads but don't think all classes are taught in English.

My 6 yr old came from USA (kindergarten) into CMIS, first grade. As others mention, there are several variables that contribute to one's choice. Budget definitely ruled out Prem....I have 2 local expat friends whose kids had gone thru CMIS and then at HS level transferred back to USA, seamlessly and this impressed me. It is a Christian school, and we are a buddhist family (wife is thai), but the christian factor is not heavily expressed, but is most definitely present - my kid told me that at school she believes in god and at home, she believes in buddha.... smart kid!

We have met (only been here a year) at least 2 families that transferrred from Prem into CMIS for various reasons, and another couple that came into CMIS from Grace.... maybe one can find kids/families that went the other way, out of CMIS into other schools and find out their reasons.

IF time allows, come into town, visit campuses and talk to school faculty, hang out and watch how kids are on playground etc..... it is very telling

as for traffic...yes, it is congested cuz of schools all being in same spot (CMIS and PRC), but we find traffic very manageable...depends on what you are used to i guess. Additionally, CMIS is currently in process of studying feasibility to move over to Payap International University campus in the near future.... which would hopefully eliminate the traffic issues.

Edited by zippydedodah

If I had the dosh it'd be Prem all the way... out in the country, good curriculum, superior facilities. CMIS, while supposedly really good, is unfortunately right in town along with Dara and Prince, meaning there's horrendous traffic getting in and out. Lanna's supposed to be okay and is out of town, but lacks on the sporting and music front so I hear. Nakorn Payap is in a good spot on the inner ring road - between the Mae Rim and Mae Jo roads but don't think all classes are taught in English.

All classes are in English. There is also one Thai class because under Thai Government laws everyone must study Thai (so it's the same at all schools.)

Nakornpayap International School IS the best.

Please see website. NIS

Varee's first intake for its International Annexe is years 7 - 10 and, as someone above posted, they will be teaching the Cambridge International GCSE programme which is similar to (and some maintain better than) the UK National Curriculum. It doesn't suffer from the traffic issues which must be a nightmare near Prince Royal/Dara/CMIS and in addition to discounted rates until the pupil completes year 9, the ratio of children to teachers will be the best in the area for the first few years at least. The facilities are at the forefront of all the schools in Chiang Mai, international or Thai. My son enjoys the English Programme there and I will be considering the International Annexe when his age is right for their intake. IA Website

All classes are in English. There is also one Thai class because under Thai Government laws everyone must study Thai (so it's the same at all schools.)

Please see website. NIS

I now have three attending Nakorn Payap, and am quite happy with their education. NIS seems to have one of the lowest turnover rates for teachers in Chiangmai followed by CMIS. These two schools seem to just swap teachers.......Prem (rumour mill) probably the highest turnover rate, very young staff.

Edited by Diablo Bob

Please see website. NIS

I now have three attending Nakorn Payap, and am quite happy with their education. NIS seems to have one of the lowest turnover rates for teachers in Chiangmai followed by CMIS. These two schools seem to just swap teachers.......Prem (rumour mill) probably the highest turnover rate, very young staff.

Yes, rumor mill.

Selecting a school isn't easy. One thing, however, is clear. Chiang Mai is a very unusual small city in that it has so much choice in schools. To pick an "international school" isn't the only option, either. One poster above favors Varee, which has up to this point been trying to establish its reputation as a "bilingual school." Another one of those is ABS, the Ambassador Bilingual School, in a field of increasing competition. And by the way, Yupparaj (a government school) is starting up an international curriculum!

I suggest OP do some searching on this site for some very thorough discussions about schools. Use search terms like "schools," "international schools," "Varee," and others. Eventually you'll link to a lot of information.

Whatever you choose, what happens at home is still infinitely more important!

My kids are at Lanna and this month we have been asked to pay a 10,000 Baht deposit per child in order to secure their places for next term (starts August). As the least expensive international school in town it is getting heavily subscribed (and is the destination of choice for those parents I know pulling out of Prem).

On first impression it looks as if it could do with a lick of paint and maintenace on the outside,looks way too grubby.

Maybe thats why the Union Jack is flying upside down in the distress position.Should be included in the curriculum

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/ge...unionjack7.html

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I'd try a definitive post as far as Nakorn Payap International School (NIS) is concerned :)

My kids go to NIS and we're very happy with our choice. That's not to say Lanna, CMIS and others aren't equally good or better, just that I don't know enough to comment on them.

Our reasons for choosing NIS were (in no particular order):

• Secular

• Fees met our budget

• High Teacher retention rate. As of today, some teachers have been there over a decade, and they're very good teachers.

• Qualified teachers. Relevent info on individual teachers acessable at the school's website

• No uniforms. School uniforms are a particular pet peeve of mine. You don't want me to get into a rant on this issue.

• Owners showed a credible commitment to a continuous and aggressive improvement of facilities and acadamec standards. Developements over the past few years has vindicated my this initial assesment.

• Very small class sizes (CMIS class sizes are generally larger, though still small. Lanna and others, I don't know).

• Administration and teachers very approachable, not only by parents, but students as well.

Fee increases have been within reason at about 5.5% a year. This is probably true of all the international schools.

It's not all roses. The Thai department could do with some improvements. The library is very well stocked, but not well enough if, like mine, your kids are avid readers.

So far the school has handled its growth fairly well. However as with any fast-growing institution, there is a risk of the school losing sight of its core values. The administration to its credit is well aware of this, but I worry that awareness alone will not suffice. Time will tell.

Many of the students are Korean and a good number of them either live with only one parent, or just a guardian, hence little parantal supervision. A few kids are as much as 3 years older than they should be for their grade. All this leads to my kids having some strange classmates.

Attending an international school populated by non Thai's and prviliged Thai's, your kids will be cloistered and cut off from normal Thai society. We try to ameliorate that effect by having our kids attend some activities outside school on weekends and in the summer to meet other kids outside the International school circuit.

You should know that the school was due for a fee increase last year but did not proceed in view of the worldwide economic downturn. I'm pretty sure they will have to increase fees this year (2010/2011 school year) and expect them to play some catchup so am bracing myself. I just hope that most of the money goes towards paying the teachers well.

Aside from my kids attending NIS, I have no other affiliation with the school.

I concur with Mapguy that the home environment is infinitly more important than any school the kids attend.

<snip for brevity>

......Prem (rumour mill) probably the highest turnover rate, very young staff.

The rumour-mill may possibly be confusing the interns, young and there for one year's hands-on experience as part of their teaching-degrees, with the regular fully-qualified/experienced teachers, who tend to stay 4-5 years IME.

<snip for brevity>

......Prem (rumour mill) probably the highest turnover rate, very young staff.

The rumour-mill may possibly be confusing the interns, young and there for one year's hands-on experience as part of their teaching-degrees, with the regular fully-qualified/experienced teachers, who tend to stay 4-5 years IME.

Well that would explain the "Very Young Staff", thanks for the insight. :)

On first impression it looks as if it could do with a lick of paint and maintenace on the outside,looks way too grubby.

Maybe thats why the Union Jack is flying upside down in the distress position.Should be included in the curriculum

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/ge...unionjack7.html

Interesting.

And thanks Thakkar for the write up.

Just checked Lanna's website. Now I know who they are, I used to cycle past when I was in Koolpunt 8. A curious bunch of really really quiet and well-behaved Farang kids in the middle of nowhere - like Stepford Wives.

Website

http://www.lannaist.ac.th

has a hundred instances of dodgy written English.

When you say you are moving, is it a temporary move or are you emigrating for good (or worse :) ) ?

If the latter, then Thai language skills may be important for you kids and you may want to consider a Bi-Lingual school. There are many in CM. They are basically private Thai schools that run a English Program where most lessons are taught in English (to varying degrees based on the course/school). My girls attend on EP at a good Bi-Lingual here and only lessons taught in Thai are Thai (obviously), Thai Dancing and Thai Customs. At their ages they will learn Thai very quickly. Teachers are properly qualified and the Government caps the fess (to 80k per year). Curriculum is Thai, but for Maths and Science that's pretty good anyway. Class sizes are around 16 children. Rooms have aircon. It is my intention to put them through UK/European exams privately (after some specific tutoring) when they are the right ages in addition to their Thai paperwork.

Thai kids also make contacts at school that can help their careers and lives afterwards; much more so than in the UK. If they plan to live and work here a good Thai Private school may well set them up better in the future too. Of course, in Bangkok more so than elsewhere perhaps, wealthy Thais are sending their kids to IS too, but they also have the option of off-shore boarding too.

Remember it is no longer the case that Thai grades do not get kids into foreign (read Western) universities just as UK/American/etc grades do not bar one from Thai universities.

Just some more fat for you to chew over.