International Schools In Chiang Mai

Daisychain

Just checked Lanna's website. Now I know who they are, I used to cycle past when I was in Koolpunt 8. A curious bunch of really really quiet and well-behaved Farang kids in the middle of nowhere - like Stepford Wives.

Website

http://www.lannaist.ac.th

has a hundred instances of dodgy written English.

Hmm, are you sure you have only just discovered where Lanna International school is? It seems you really have some kind of axe to grind, but are struggling with substance so forced to accuse the school of:

1. Having well behaved kids. Wow... what a terrible thing! In what way are they like Stepford Wifes? Please explain that one! And Farang Kids? Actually a very mixed community. Please don't try to characterise the kids as in anyway strange or unusually quiet - they are a generally very nice bunch of kids - perfectly normal and happy (maybe it's the happy bit that causes you to be confused?)

2. A website with "hundred instances of dodgy written English". Please share these instances. They are certainly not obvious by reading the website.

If you have an axe to grind, try to grind it nicely please! :)

And Khun Surin and Khun Somjed ... sinister! :)

You are going to have to get up very early to get one over on her. I enjoyed doing business with them. The school seems to offer good value for the money. It has a good reputation, and gets a good stock of kids.

Nakornpayap International School IS the best.

Please see website. NIS

I tried the link and clicked Enter the Site and got the following message from Google/Chrome:

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!

The website at www.nis.ac.th appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that hosts malware can infect your computer.

How very professional!

Please see website. NIS

I tried the link and clicked Enter the Site and got the following message from Google/Chrome:

The website at www.nis.ac.th appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that hosts malware can infect your computer.

How very professional!

yes, I got that too.

The malware would be on the server that is hosting the site. As they say, sh1t happens; no reason to discount the school on account of this.

Here is some info most folks don't know.

Yupparat government school is one of 13 schools in Thaialand that was directed by the government to start an international program. They will teach (I can't remember exactly which) either a U.S. based cirriculum or a british based cirriculum totally in English by mostly foreign teachers who are fully qualified to teach by western standards.

The price is about 40,000 baht per semester. If budget is an issue, this place might be worth looking at. At those prices, seats will fill up quickly.

Edited by richard10365

Please see website. NIS

How very professional!

yes, I got that too.

The malware would be on the server that is hosting the site. As they say, sh1t happens; no reason to discount the school on account of this.

It just speaks to overall professionalism. Whoever's in charge and their tech people should be checking their own website at least once a day to see if there are any problems. As well, there a lack of consistency in the formats used for so-called news and 'tinglish' just tossed onto the site.

The devil is in the details, as they say. My guess is Thai management and tech people with qualified foreign teachers actually delivering the product. In Thailand, as long as webpage is a "nice" color, has flash and twinkly bits -- usually that say things like "NEW" or "MUST READ" -- its good enough. Actual content is not important.

Please see website. NIS

How very professional!

yes, I got that too.

It just speaks to overall professionalism. Whoever's in charge and their tech people should be checking their own website at least once a day to see if there are any problems. As well, there a lack of consistency in the formats used for so-called news and 'tinglish' just tossed onto the site.

The devil is in the details, as they say. My guess is Thai management and tech people with qualified foreign teachers actually delivering the product. In Thailand, as long as webpage is a "nice" color, has flash and twinkly bits -- usually that say things like "NEW" or "MUST READ" -- its good enough. Actual content is not important.

Well Ferd, I just opened the site and didn't receive any warnings at all, and I am running 2 anti-malware programs, just updated yesterday. Maybe the problem isn't with the NIS site but with YOUR Malware definitions, ever thought of that?

You might be making a big deal about nothing. :)

Well Ferd, I just opened the site and didn't receive any warnings at all, and I am running 2 anti-malware programs, just updated yesterday. Maybe the problem isn't with the NIS site but with YOUR Malware definitions, ever thought of that?

Well, Bob, I just did too and its still there. I don't know what Google/Chrome is picking up, but I tend to believe that Google is a whole lot smarter than I am (do I need a rolleyes emoticon here?). As well, if you read the previous post, the other fella got it too.

Could be, Bob, that your computer is the one not picking it up.

Well, Bob, I just did too and its still there. I don't know what Google/Chrome is picking up, but I tend to believe that Google is a whole lot smarter than I am (do I need a rolleyes emoticon here?). As well, if you read the previous post, the other fella got it too.

Could be, Bob, that your computer is the one not picking it up.

Must be a Google/Chrome thing then, because I just opened the site with Firefox (Different computer), no malware warning, just like my IE-7.

Where do we go from here?

Must be a Google/Chrome thing then, because I just opened the site with Firefox (Different computer), no malware warning, just like my IE-7.

Where do we go from here?

If you want to be helpful to them, maybe install Chrome from Google -- it's a better browser -- and see for yourself. Then suggest that their tech people do what they should be doing anyway: Checking their website in all browsers. Thais seem to think that IE is the only browser they need to write code for, and its an old hag well on its way to the boneyard.

I have read a few things about Apple and Google being dissatisfied with Flash and pushing for HTML 5; perhaps overuse or abuse of Flash on a website will trigger the Google malware warning. Or perhaps there is some sort of malware on the NIS website.

This is what the Google diagnostics page says:

What is the current listing status for nis.ac.th/nis?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 2 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-04-22, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-04-22.

Malicious software includes 2 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 2 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including socialchat.net/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS24299 (ISSP).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, nis.ac.th/nis did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Using Firefox from a partnerpage (Google), I too get all the warnings.

I must say, however, that it might be misguided to suggest that its website is necessarily the best measure of the quality of a school. The last line of the message above suggests that some ill-wisher could be responsible. That it has occurred but once, and recently, might suggest that.

Of course, far be it from me to suggest that there are hackers who would do anything harmful in the slightest degree to someone else - or could.

I'm out of the country now - maybe someone could call NIS with an alert? Or we could continue to rant?

Edited by CMX

I'm out of the country now - maybe someone could call NIS with an alert? Or we could continue to rant?

I think its great to be helpful, but I also believe in personal responsibility :)

Sometimes if your gonna play, you need to pay.

Any consideration for sending children CMIS should be approached with due diligence. Age of the student, future plans for their education, (what country), support for acceptance to foreign university, financial help for university(scholarship), quality of the teachers who your child will be involved with in the classroom, leadership of the teachers by the management, pertinent info available to parents, management, paren communication, etc are a few areas that warrant investigation as well as feed back from parents who have children attending.

Any consideration for sending children CMIS should be approached with due diligence. Age of the student, future plans for their education, (what country), support for acceptance to foreign university, financial help for university(scholarship), quality of the teachers who your child will be involved with in the classroom, leadership of the teachers by the management, pertinent info available to parents, management, paren communication, etc are a few areas that warrant investigation as well as feed back from parents who have children attending.

You forgot the quality of their Web page, I never realized how important that was in the decision making process. :)

You forgot the quality of their Web page, I never realized how important that was in the decision making process. :)

Well, Bob, because TV is an internet-based community and a website is the one of most public manifestations of an operation, it could be considered germane to the discussion.

Any consideration for sending children *** should be approached with due diligence. Age of the student, future plans for their education, (what country), support for acceptance to foreign university, financial help for university(scholarship), quality of the teachers who your child will be involved with in the classroom, leadership of the teachers by the management, pertinent info available to parents, management, paren communication, etc are a few areas that warrant investigation as well as feed back from parents who have children attending.
That applies to every school in the galaxy, including Prem and Waxahacie public schools.

Well, Bob, because TV is an internet-based community and a website is the one of most public manifestations of an operation, it could be considered germane to the discussion.

Where you seem to be the type to purchase a car based upon a brochure, I prefer to go to the dealership and do a test drive! Simple difference in approach, isn't it? Much ado about nothing.... :D Let's just leave it at that OK?

• 3 months later...

Actually, Prem gets 8 to 10 recent graduates from universities to assist in boarding each year. The interns like this program and they also help in the school gaining work experience. The problem is that the students ( and community members) eventually start thinking they are teachers but they are not. So each year when they leave, the rumour mill starts saying they are teachers leaving when they are just part of the yearly influx of new interns who only came for a year.

<snip for brevity>

......Prem (rumour mill) probably the highest turnover rate, very young staff.

The rumour-mill may possibly be confusing the interns, young and there for one year's hands-on experience as part of their teaching-degrees, with the regular fully-qualified/experienced teachers, who tend to stay 4-5 years IME.