Exchange Rates

Hmmm ......

Expats and tourists don't move exchange rates, bankers do. Maybe pegging with the US$, the lack of any other comparable investment currency, and the fact that to the invesment community, what is happening now is pretty much the norm for the country? :)

Everyone is puzzled by the strength of the Baht.

I cannot see any good reason for it at all.

Thailand is in positive territory when it comes to all of their accounts including trade, plus they have accumulated substantial foreign currency reserves. Those are the factors that determine currency strength, not tourist numbers and certainly not the current political unrest - add to all of that the fact that USD and GBP have lost value and it makes THB look quite attractive, as another poster once said, there's a lot more money flowing into Thailand than there is money leaving the country.

Thailand is in positive territory when it comes to all of their accounts including trade, plus they have accumulated substantial foreign currency reserves. Those are the factors that determine currency strength, not tourist numbers and certainly not the current political unrest - add to all of that the fact that USD and GBP have lost value and it makes THB look quite attractive, as another poster once said, there's a lot more money flowing into Thailand than there is money leaving the country.

yes like taksins 200 million per day !

Well! That's it then, mystery solved.

Your expanation is essentially true but there are some rather serious Political instability factors which will likely cause a crash in the Baht sooner rather than later. The country is in the black at the moment but for how long? We will never know until it happens, that is absolutely certain!

Your expanation is essentially true but there are some rather serious Political instability factors which will likely cause a crash in the Baht sooner rather than later. The country is in the black at the moment but for how long? We will never know until it happens, that is absolutely certain!

sweet dreams! :)

What is absolutely certain is that political uncertainties may move major currencies that are traded globally, THB is not is that category. If you're waiting, aka hoping, for a THB crash, best pack lots and lots of sandwiches and several years of drinking water!

there will be a thai baht crash. taksin bought thailand out of debt. now he is feeding the reds. probably helping the baht stay strong. taksins seized assets will not last for ever.

difference is when all this war stops. no more taksin. no more red paying. no more priministers paying off thailands debt. basically there is nothing left but a crash. unless The PM has a good back up plan up his sleeve. if so i hope he is like a chess player and thinking 10 moves ahead. he has it hard enough just trying to savive let alone deal with thailands economy after the blood shed

there will be a thai baht crash. taksin bought thailand out of debt. now he is feeding the reds. probably helping the baht stay strong. taksins seized assets will not last for ever.

difference is when all this war stops. no more taksin. no more red paying. no more priministers paying off thailands debt. basically there is nothing left but a crash. unless The PM has a good back up plan up his sleeve. if so i hope he is like a chess player and thinking 10 moves ahead. he has it hard enough just trying to savive let alone deal with thailands economy after the blood shed

Yep I'd be happy to lose a few Baht/£ if there were no more deaths. :)

Edited by smokie36

Wasn't the baht at 37baht to the pound several years ago and stable at that some lengthy period of time before getting to stupid level which everyone remembers as the norm/benchmark, whos to say that the baht is overvaluated at the moment, perhaps were just approaching more realistic rates in regards to trade vs times when western currencies were overvaluated due to non backed leveraging and optimisim.

Edited by mattcodes

Wasn't the baht at 37baht to the pound several years ago and stable at that some lengthy period of time before getting to stupid level which everyone remembers as the norm/benchmark, whos to say that the baht is overvaluated at the moment, perhaps were just approaching more realistic rates in regards to trade vs times when western currencies were overvaluated due to non backed leveraging and optimisim.

Afraid not Mattcodes. 7 years ago it was 70 odd to the pound. 27 years ago it was around 30 but things a quarter of todays prices. i.e. A Singha was approx 10 Baht. As I see it, the present rate will discourage investment even if the troubles do get sorted.

ex ports are probably going up. the price in baht would remane the same yet the popele buying from thailand would have to chage up more pounds t purchase there items. dempends on how badl they want them. ingfact now id sa good time to pay off some of y english debt. if i send back 48 k bat that is 1000 pound as apposed to 70 k

Edited by BigC