Time To Spoil Myself

Hiya folks.

I have a 2 week holiday coming up soon and I have decided to spoil myself.

I have just started a new job on an 8 and 2 rotation, I spent the last year living village style (not through choice) and now that I have some money under my belt i want to be spoilt.

I guess my budget will be around 70-80,000 baht for a 12 night stay.

What I am after is a room with a private pool, perhaps a jacuzzi, comfort, luxury, something different, beach or special view.

I will be with my girlfriend and our 5 month old daughter. It will be their first time leaving Indo, for the gf luxury means hot water (our house has no hot water, only a tank and a bucket for showering). So I want to spend the 12 days in heaven.

We (read, She) will want to go shopping in the clothes markets or just browsing maybe while I sit and drink a beer or 3, whatever she wants, so not too isolated.

I have checked out Samui Resotel, Sala Samui Resort and the likes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps for the price there are other alternatives? Short stay house with pool etc and we look after ourselves (read, she does all the cooking/cleaning and I drink beer by the pool whilst checking in on our daughter every few minutes).

Also, I have no drivers license anywhere. So how would I get around?

When i lived in Thailand previously (6 years) I had my own car so i didn't need a license, but just for a holiday I would need to hire one, or a motorcy. Can I do this without a license? If I rent a motorcy is it asking for trouble with the Police if my GF and our daughter are on the bike too? Before anyone jumps down my throat for taking my baby on a motorcy, where we actually live in Indo this is our only option and we have learnt how to do it well and safely.

Well, please ask any question if it will help with suggestions from you fine Samuian folk. I hope there are a few out there who may be kind enough to offer suggestions. If so, I will buy you a beer/meal when I arrive.

Cheers

tuky

Hi Tuky.

The Samui Resotel is very close to my place and my home.

They have just finished the construction of the place.

It's on the south of Chaweng beach that is more quiet than the central parts.

Chaweng would be the best option for your wife going shopping.

You have Tesco and BigC on the main ring road for the best shopping.

Motorbikes and cars can be rented without any license, the police never checks.

They might have a helmet control once every half year in Chaweng.

PM me for a good deal on a Honda Click.

Hi Tuky.

The Samui Resotel is very close to my place and my home.

They have just finished the construction of the place.

It's on the south of Chaweng beach that is more quiet than the central parts.

Chaweng would be the best option for your wife going shopping.

You have Tesco and BigC on the main ring road for the best shopping.

Motorbikes and cars can be rented without any license, the police never checks.

They might have a helmet control once every half year in Chaweng.

PM me for a good deal on a Honda Click.

Thanks mate, i will keep the Honda Click thing in mind, i am not too keen on riding with my daughter, but to be honest it has been a long long while since I have driven a car (2004 in Sweden, BTW I am Aussie), so I am probably more competant on a bike now anyway. I have a Yamaha R1 in Indo and my GF has a Mio Fino (Indo style, with many modifications).

What about accom? I have stayed in Samui before ( I used to live in Sriracha for 6 years) and after a few days I found I was bored, but mind you that was with my ex-wife (and her folks) who controlled everything I did anyway, this time it is my deal so I think I may last longer. Especially with a nice place to stay. I have thought about Hua-Hin, but I worry there is even less to do there than on small Samui.

What do you think?

Dusit hotel on koh chang, private pool and outside hot tub. Check it out

Man is talking about Koh Samui, what does Koh Chang have to do with it?

Rooo, he is right. I am open to any suggestion.

Although Koh Chang is a little too Red I think. And too many Mozzies???

I actually looked at buying a place on Koh Chang a few years ago, but kinda decided against it as I didn't find the island too appealing. The Thais like it though right? Burbridge, do you have anything else to say about Koh Chang?

Rooo, you know me (from the forum atleast), what do you think mate? After my ex and i separated i have had <deleted> all to enjoy myself with (she even got my cold weather clothes) so now that I find myself in a position to unwind I want to do it right. Do you have any thoughts?

I actually looked at buying a place on Koh Chang a few years ago, but kinda decided against it as I didn't find the island too appealing. The Thais like it though right? Burbridge, do you have anything else to say about Koh Chang?

Rooo, you know me (from the forum atleast), what do you think mate? After my ex and i separated i have had <deleted> all to enjoy myself with (she even got my cold weather clothes) so now that I find myself in a position to unwind I want to do it right. Do you have any thoughts?

Tuky, i would just get a nice hotel mate, Wolfie might be of help through Agoda. Otherwise have a look at the pinned section for villas. With all honesty, a nice hotel, maybe with facilities for child care will be the shot for you.

As for transport, just get a a car with a driver when you need.Will have to catch up for a drink.

This is now my time and I want to enjoy myself :D

Can't be any help on the accommodation, just wanted to say you deserve this and I hope you have a really great time. :)

Thanks mate, I have given to others for too long.

I have my new job, which in itself is great. The job is nothing special, but it is a break away from the past. Now for my first leave I want to make it known that this is my life and I am going to live it the best I can.

Actually the job is kinda special, North Rankin Redevelopment (NRB)...My father, who is terminally Ill did my job on the initial North Rankin (NRA) 20 plus years ago, so for sentimental reasons this is the biggest job of my life. It is great to carry on the lagacy, so many of the old timers drop in to my office and ask...are you such n such's son?, Yep, I have known your old man for 30 odd years, it is a pleasure to meet you.

What a life it is when you can honour your father by doing a better job then he did :D

Tuky, i would just get a nice hotel mate, Wolfie might be of help through Agoda. Otherwise have a look at the pinned section for villas. With all honesty, a nice hotel, maybe with facilities for child care will be the shot for you.

As for transport, just get a a car with a driver when you need.Will have to catch up for a drink.

Thanks mate. I will definately take you up on the beer. And I will have a chat with Wolfie, we were mods together so I am sure we can work something out. Thanks a lot Pal.

I look forward to meeting in June.

If you ever find yourself in Korea let me know...I will reciprocate.

Hi Tuky,

In my humble opinion, Santiburi Resort is the nicest resort on the Island. Get yourself one of the beach side bungalows there mate and you will love it. They have a Spa there which is good though not the best on the Island by any means. Although it is in Maenam and some distance from the main shopping area in Chaweng, they will drop you off there and you can sit and have your beer or three while the wife shops till she drops etc. If you check them out, some of the rooms have a private jacuzzi type thing. Generally a top place and ideal for feeling pampered.

Hope you enjoy yourself wherever you decide to stay.

PS. For a short stay with your beloved family, do NOT hire yourself a motor bike. That would be your best chance of turning your trip into a nightmare.

In my humble opinion, Santiburi Resort is the nicest resort on the Island

Would probably agree with that.

Sala Samui is also very good .... right on the beach .... a short ride into town.

Melati Beach Resort in the same area is also good although a little off the beaten track.

I would avoid the center of Chaweng - it can get noisy and busy and it sounds like you need a little quiet luxury. Whatever your choice, you MUST come to Samui!!! :)

Hi Tuky,

In my humble opinion, Santiburi Resort is the nicest resort on the Island. Get yourself one of the beach side bungalows there mate and you will love it. They have a Spa there which is good though not the best on the Island by any means. Although it is in Maenam and some distance from the main shopping area in Chaweng, they will drop you off there and you can sit and have your beer or three while the wife shops till she drops etc. If you check them out, some of the rooms have a private jacuzzi type thing. Generally a top place and ideal for feeling pampered.

Hope you enjoy yourself wherever you decide to stay.

PS. For a short stay with your beloved family, do NOT hire yourself a motor bike. That would be your best chance of turning your trip into a nightmare.

Thanks mate. I dont really know what to say.

The problem with choosing a holiday is that there are too many options.

For many years I have just gone home, and when home I have not wanted to go anywhere cos now I am home. I work in the Oil and Gas industry, not offshore but onshore construction and commissioning. So I do a bit of travelling. When I get home I used to like staying home. But now life has changed, so i fugure my lifestyle should change too.

I understand about renting a motorbike, trust me, I have ridden my bike everyday for the last 2 years in Indo, Samui or anywhere in thailand cannot compare to how they ride there. But for the sake of relaxation, as Roo says perhaps better to hire a car and driver so we can just relax. Mind you I do like the freedom of riding.

I just say a thread for a Samui TV party, let me check it out, perhaps it will coincide with my visit. If so I look forward to meeting you.

(If you check out my stats, you will see I am not a breeze in, i have been around a while).

In my humble opinion, Santiburi Resort is the nicest resort on the Island

Would probably agree with that.

Sala Samui is also very good .... right on the beach .... a short ride into town.

Melati Beach Resort in the same area is also good although a little off the beaten track.

I would avoid the center of Chaweng - it can get noisy and busy and it sounds like you need a little quiet luxury. Whatever your choice, you MUST come to Samui!!! :)

I will my brother.

I will let u all know what i end up doing.

Perhaps we can have a small tv get together. If only to show my gf I really do have friends (dont let her know you are actually rent a fren...)

:D

Was just an idea. <deleted> is your problem?

Nice attitude.

And you think HE is the one with a problem ? :)

have fun

use sunblock

and try not to buy anyone a house or father any more children with the natives while ur down there

You sound like we have met before :)

There is not much chance of that happening mate, I will be with my gf of 2 years.

Thanks for all the info folks. I haven't made any decisions yet, but the ideas that have come in have been very interesting. I appreciate it.

Folks, thanks every so much for all the help and advice both in the thread and via PM.

I have to add this update though.

My GF has read about the Reds storming the hospital in BKK yesterday, whilst she was worried initially about going to Thailand I had somewhat calmed her and she agreed, but after the hospital debacle she is refusing to take our daughter to a country so unstable. She says even without a child she would not want to go to Thailand now.

So, it looks like we will be taking our vacation in Bali, where we can get very similar accommodation at perhaps cheaper prices without all the Red/Yellow etc issues.

I apologise to anyone who feels we have wasted their time, but I have to admit my GF is 100% correct, no holiday destination is worth the safety and peace of mind of a family with a young child. Especially when there are alternatives.

Thanks a lot and sorry for the non start.

Can't criticise that choice, the other half is showing caution.

Chances of hitting trouble maybe slight, particularly as you would be moving straight out, why take the chance purely for a holiday?

On an other point, none of my business, but is it safe to be broadcasting dates and places where you might be?

Good Luck and have a good one, you deserve it.

Moss

On an other point, none of my business, but is it safe to be broadcasting dates and places where you might be?

Moss

I never really thought about it Moss.

I dont know why anyone would be bothered with little old me, but there are some weirdos out there I guess.

Anyway the dates have now changed and we have decided to go to on the Haj...

(Did that help?) :)

imho the centara in chewang would do fine, they offer suites with small pools. safe for the child, they have a kids play room that offers activities for the child, a very nice lage garden, food is good, the beach is white powder, they have a gym and it is located within walking distance to town centre.