Belgian Restaurants, Bars, Beers

PattayaParent

I've got a Belgian mate coming to visit next month and was wondering where he could find some 'home' comforts (he's been away from Belgium for several years).

I know Mata Hari and Patrick's (if it's still there in the arcade by Kiss?)

Are there any bars that Belgians hang out in?

Are there any bars that have Belgian beers?

Thanks.

There is an International Bar owned by a Belgian at Soi LK Metro, off Soi Dianna.

The name is Mai Lu Si Bar.

They have the biggest Belgian Beer collection in Pattaya, about 15 different brands and served in the original glasses.

Beers like: Duvel, Kwak, Hoegaarden, Kriek, Leffe, Trippel Karmeliet.

They have also rooms for rent.

This is a good meeting place to find belgian people

- Pattaya Garden Beer Bar ; Soi X Zyte ; not far from Oasis A-GoGo.

Duvel - Kriek Saint Louis - Maredsous Triple - Blanche de Namur

- Drees Bar ; Soi Bukhaow

- The Reeves Bar ; Soi 7

Stella

- The Look Out Inn ; Center Condo

- Manneken Pis ; Dark Side

Edited by luckyluke

I know Mata Hari and Patrick's (if it's still there in the arcade by Kiss?)

Mata Hari is not Belgian by any means. Dutch owned and menu tilted towards dutch/Indonesian specialties.

Very good though!

Thanks again all, (hope aussiechick is reading this thread!)

I'd forgotten about Mannekin Pis but transport may be a problem for him to get out there.

I met the owner of the old Mata Hari many years ago and thought he was Belgian.

Mata Hari was Belgian wasn't she?

Anyone knows where i can find Mata Hari? Allways in for a "rijsttafel"!!

Thx Mike

I don't think Mati Hari does rijsttafel. Mati Hari does European and Thai food. First I heard of an Indonesian connection with that place.

There is a place off Thepprasit that does though.

http://www.indo-lavillabali-pattaya.com/

Can't vouch for the quality.

Edited by Jingthing

I'd forgotten about Mannekin Pis but transport may be a problem for him to get out there.

Mata hari was Dutch when they were on second road,didn't know that they changed ownership when they moved to the Jomtien area.Mata hari as person was also Dutch.

@luckyluke: didn't know pattaya beergarden was Belgian always thought it was American.

Almost forgot to mention Enjoy Andre on the way to Jomtien more or less opposite Captains corner.

Edited by basjke

@luckyluke: didn't know pattaya beergarden was Belgian always thought it was American.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can be right that the Pattaya Beergarden ( entry Walking Street ) owner is American.

However the Garden Beer Bar ; Soi X Zyte, is administrated by two French-speaking Belgians.

post-39372-1272250518_thumb.jpg

Edited by luckyluke

I have been reading this post - but as I don't know Belgian from Smelgin I left it to the experts :)

I have eaten at Patricks a number of times. I find it serviceable; nothing to write home to Brussels about. For those in the know, is Patricks the best for Belgian here, or is there a better one? Kind of a nit but I recently had their bounteous coq au vin there. It did seem to be done in a Belgian rather than a French style, but the amount of chicken was kind of rude, a small leg and a small thigh and a few sparse vegetables, not really a dinner portion. I couldn't really taste the wine either ...

Edited by Jingthing

As the old adage says...if you want to have good food, go to French restaurant. If you want to have good food AND a full stomach, go to a Belgium place. A small chicken leg hints to non-Belgium standard.... :)

I have eaten at Patricks a number of times. I find it serviceable; nothing to write home to Brussels about. For those in the know, is Patricks the best for Belgian here, or is there a better one? Kind of a nit but I recently had their bounteous coq au vin there. It did seem to be done in a Belgian rather than a French style, but the amount of chicken was kind of rude, a small leg and a small thigh and a few sparse vegetables, not really a dinner portion. I couldn't really taste the wine either ...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Patrick focus predominantly on Belgian tourists, who generally are just happy to find some Belgian food in Pattaya, and are ready to pay a substantial amount for it, even if the quantity leaves much to be desired.

The problem with recommending a restaurant (especially in Pattaya) is its consistency: Patricks is famous for its generous portions, their lovely steaks and good quality. Until now, everybody I heard was enthusiastic.

As with many other restaurants; one day it's perfect, and the other day the food is found to be crappy or at least less then expected.

Dining out in Pattaya is like a ticket in the lottery

I didn't mean to imply that I have always had skimpy portions at Patricks. On the contrary, actually. Just reporting a recent experience. Portion size isn't everything of course. In the case of the coq au vin dish, I would say SKIP IT based on both flavor and portion. I expect to taste wine in a coq au vin.

In the past I have enjoyed decent goulash croquettes there (which I think of more as Dutch), decent Belgian fries, OK pea soup, and decent osso bucco, etc. I found their mussel special overpriced, better places in town to go for that.

Edited by Jingthing