Thai Protesters Brace For Crackdown As Compromise Rejected

webfact

The red shirts are not terrorists, they are peaceful protesters. Governments use the word terrorists as an excuse to kill innocent people. Its very irresponsible of some posters coming on here labeling these ordinary people as terrorists. I think posters on here would prefer Thailand to be ruled more like Burma.

Hmmm

1. Kidnapping of CAT CEO

2. Kidnapping of high ranked police officer

3. Kidnapping or army train with men and weapons

4. Hostile take over of the city.

5. Violent threats to storm shopping malls

6. Grenades causing death

7. Weapons stock piling

8. Destruction of public property

9. Threats of violence and more bombs and grenades.

You are right, this is not terrorism this is would be what? patriotism!

10. Breached the Parliament building, causing MPs to be airlifted out.

11. Physically attacking a Czech interpretor because he objected to redshirts searching him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guerrilla warfare? Threatening to loot CentralWorld?

"When the first blood is spilled here, the entire country will be the scene of bloodshed"

"We are ready to handle the government measures. No matter what shirt we wear, our hearts are red"

Whichever way you see it, this is just awful. If there are true bad intentions from either side then this is it. These idiots seemed intent on causing havoc from day one and recently the only thing they can say is "it wasn't us" (so what was that I saw on youtube then? ) or "civil war". They are a disgrace and I am angry and upset that they are trying to cheat the world into thinking they are the ones calling for democracy.

There are millions of people in Thailand trying to work hard and make a better life for themselves and these idiots want to stage a smash and grab and justify it by saying they are against the elite!!!!! They don't get any more elite than Thaskin jetting around the world in his Lear Jet, meeting his military junta friends in Fiji, and this is the evil personality cult they have bought into. The idea that this is not about Thaksin and about a fairer Thailand is preposterous. Loom at how they treat people who don't agree with them....they bomb them, or kidnap them, or verbally abuse them, or physically assault them. They are already breeding an atmosphere of hate and intolerance, think about what that will be like if they control the whole country and not just Ratchaprasong.

A country run by these violent thugs, who have no tolerance for other people's views and solve all their problems through intimidation, threats and violence is not going to be a fairer Thailand. It will be a Thailand where you will be free to do anything the redshirts say you can do. I suspect elections under redshirt rule will have candidates from only parties that agree with the redshirts and the result will be a 104% vote for Thaksin - something like the level of love the Iraqis used to show for Saddam Hussein.

I take the redshirt's proclaimation of "the whole country will be a scene of bloodshed" to be a direct declaration of war against all decent people, and I also take it that means me. Don't expect me not to shoot at redshirt heads if they do what they say.

I don't like it, but I think you are very right.

A friend of mine told me the following story. A relative of a work collegue is red shirt supporter. He or she is at the rally since about 10 days. The person gets paid for each day there. And, he or she is willing to dye for the cause. If he/she gets killed, they pay the family a certain sum of money. I have no reason to doubt that this is true, because it comes over only two people, the relative of that persond and that friend of mine.

My neighbours are red. They sell food on the daily markets. Every morning they load all their stuff onto their pick-up (very noisy) and in the evning they come back home and unload the same stuff creating the same level of noise. Since the week before Songkran they never loaded anything on the truck. They still leave in the morning and come back in the evening, but always with the empty car with two "dissolve parliament" stickers on the back.

I have no reason to doubt that what that friend of mine told me. This is a paid mob willing to do anything for money.

IF, and it is a big IF, but IF the Reds do resort to guerilla warfare after a crackdown, are you all going to be happy seeing bombs go off in Siam Paragon, in Panthip Plaza, in Emporium, full of shoppers all cut to pieces by bombs.

It's not really a "big IF" is it, if it's clearly being considered...?

It's an "if", and the full sentence most likely goes "if you don't agree with our demands"

I don't need to tell you right now how I feel about you.

Always amazing when the reds try and make the violence the fault of anyone other than the reds ....

The cycle of violence started in 2006 when people with big guns and tanks took over the country.

They might not have used them, but the threat of using them, and by showing them in public was an act of terror, a coup.

Who started the cycle, one which now comes full circle in 2010, four years later, but this time the other way around, its the people who are wanting their democracy back.

"006 coup was a bloodless coup. Thaksin left for the China Olympics and never returned. He ran away from his responsibilities and lied to the courts. Something that he has done ever since.

Cheers, Rick

In hopes of leading more lambs to the slaughter the red army leaders are telling other reds to join them but not to wear red.

With Thaksin rumored to be in ICU at hospital it is no wonder the idiotic half azz'd offer/demands came out today from red leaders. Not to mention they must have looked like complete idiots to the international folks that came to speak to them yesterday since they have refused to discuss the situation with the government except to make crazed and unacceptable demands.

Bottom line is it appears the red mob's terror campaign in BKK are coming to an end very shortly.

No one said change was easy.

I reject the thought that says negotiations have broken down.

I am sure many many sides are talking in good faith to move things forward.

It is the Thai way don't you know.

All sides will hopefully stay calm now.

My points to consider.

1) The problem is not the election but instead the push for a new constitution after the election.

2) There are huge financial interests that would favor a peaceful settlement.

3) The military is made up of people who certainly love their nation and do not want to fight their own brothers.

4) It would be better for all involved if the reds were to become more organized so that the reds could control and stop violent acts.

5) It would be better for all if the current Thai government were to become better organized so that the government could stop rogue elements from acts of violence.

6) Last but not least

Might I suggest a two house parliamentary system protecting the rights of the minority needs to be implemented as has been done in the UK for example. The landowners could have weight in their House of Lords and the people in the Parliament.A bill of rights must be added to the constitution which strongly protects property and voting rights.

LAST but extremely important

Pardons for all involved in past coups and or political actions on all sides must be put into place.

The game must start with a clean scoreboard.

One could see this as a failure of Thai culture but the low level of violence, after all there is no war here, is quite impressive given the strong feelings on all sides.

Long live the King

So they are dropping the red shirts. We all know why, yes? So when the reds without red attack the Thai soldiers and the general public with lethal weapons, and they are filmed doing so, they can more conveniently deny responsibility.

Precisely. This is a very disturbing development.

"When the first blood is spilled here, the entire country will be the scene of bloodshed"

"We are ready to handle the government measures. No matter what shirt we wear, our hearts are red"

These are terrorist threats being made by the red shirt leaders. Some people might object to the word terrorist, but I don't know what else to call it. Insurrection perhaps? Any other suggestions?

At the risk of sounding obvious I would suggest "Freedom Fighters, or Patroits"

LOL. 30 000 something people are holding 10 000 000 plus people hostages and disturbing their life and you calling it Freedom Fighters?

Total of may be 100 000 people are disturbing every day life of 60 000 000 people and you call it Patriots?

Whats next?

The red shirts are not terrorists, they are peaceful protesters. Governments use the word terrorists as an excuse to kill innocent people. Its very irresponsible of some posters coming on here labeling these ordinary people as terrorists. I think posters on here would prefer Thailand to be ruled more like Burma.

Hmmm

1. Kidnapping of CAT CEO

2. Kidnapping of high ranked police officer

3. Kidnapping or army train with men and weapons

4. Hostile take over of the city.

5. Violent threats to storm shopping malls

6. Grenades causing death

7. Weapons stock piling

8. Destruction of public property

9. Threats of violence and more bombs and grenades.

You are right, this is not terrorism this is would be what? patriotism!

10. Breached the Parliament building, causing MPs to be airlifted out.

11. Physically attacking a Czech interpretor because he objected to redshirts searching him.

12: see below video calling on people to join in on the terror campaign

If I was a Redshirt and I read some of the hate posts by certain individuals here, I'd think very lowly of Farangs in Thailand.

And indeed, the majority of Thais that I know would be shocked at the blind support of many posters on this forum for the intimidation and violence that has been meeted out by the reds over the last month and more. Many Thais believe Westerners come from civilised countries where people don't

- lay siege to the heart of the capital

- fire grenades at commuters

- bomb banks in the middle of the night

- lay explosive charges under electricity pylons

- pour their own blood on the private residences of politicians that they disagree with

- kidnap EC officials

- stab soldiers with bamboo poles in order to break into an installation guarded by the security forces

and for those reasons would be shocked and dismayed to see that there are Westerners on this forum that think such uncivilised behaviour is worthe negotiating with in poor old little Thailand but they would never tolerate in their own obviously more-valued nations.

Well let me ask you this; I'm not sure what country you are from but lets use the UK as an example. What would the British do if say, during the Iraq war Tony Blair (democratically elected) was ousted in a coup while he was in America and the conservatives put in their own guy backed by the military? Then another election was held and Gordon Brown was elected. The conservatives take over Heathrow and shut it down and the army does nothing, then finds a loophole and puts their own undemocratically elected guy in?

I would appreciate if you would really consider this, as ridiculous as it sounds, and think about how the British people would react. Are you telling me they wouldn't be rioting in the street? In my opinion if this happened in one of your so called "civilised" countries" the equivilent to the red shirts would be exponentially more violent. Please take this into consideration, there is more at stake here than your expat conveniences and easy life in Thailand. If you have been there long enough you can see how the poor are treated, and as much as a bugger Takki Shinegra is, enough is enough!

You see it wrong.. see it as when Tony Blair was holding on to power even when it was illigal (caretaker who held onto power just read it up its the truth) Also was so corrupt but had all his friends in place so he could not be tried. Then the military did the only thing they could do and stage a coup. To oust someone who was corrupt but could not be punished and held onto power even though it was illigal.

Then with the election Gordon brown was ellected but was found to be guilty of buying votes (on video tape so 100% proof) and his party disbanded and some of an other party sided with the only other party to form a goverment (perfectly legal in countries like Thailand and Holland)

Sounds a lot different then your story doesnt it... The truth hurts.

What would the British do if say, during the Iraq war Tony Blair (democratically elected) was ousted in a coup while he was in America and the conservatives put in their own guy backed by the military? Then another election was held and Gordon Brown was elected. The conservatives take over Heathrow and shut it down and the army does nothing, then finds a loophole and puts their own undemocratically elected guy in?

I would appreciate if you would really consider this, as ridiculous as it sounds, and think about how the British people would react. Are you telling me they wouldn't be rioting in the street? In my opinion if this happened in one of your so called "civilised" countries" the equivilent to the red shirts would be exponentially more violent. Please take this into consideration, there is more at stake here than your expat conveniences and easy life in Thailand. If you have been there long enough you can see how the poor are treated, and as much as a bugger Takki Shinegra is, enough is enough!

This is an excellent post - a very good analogy. I have nothing but admiration for the way the Red shirt protesters have conducted themselves in the face of such blatant oppression.

If I was a Redshirt and I read some of the hate posts by certain individuals here, I'd think very lowly of Farangs in Thailand.

And indeed, the majority of Thais that I know would be shocked at the blind support of many posters on this forum for the intimidation and violence that has been meeted out by the reds over the last month and more. Many Thais believe Westerners come from civilised countries where people don't

- pour their own blood on the private residences of politicians that they disagree with

- kidnap EC officials

- stab soldiers with bamboo poles in order to break into an installation guarded by the security forces

and for those reasons would be shocked and dismayed to see that there are Westerners on this forum that think such uncivilised behaviour is worthe negotiating with in poor old little Thailand but they would never tolerate in their own obviously more-valued nations.

Well let me ask you this; I'm not sure what country you are from but lets use the UK as an example. What would the British do if say, during the Iraq war Tony Blair (democratically elected) was ousted in a coup while he was in America and the conservatives put in their own guy backed by the military? Then another election was held and Gordon Brown was elected. The conservatives take over Heathrow and shut it down and the army does nothing, then finds a loophole and puts their own undemocratically elected guy in?

But that is not what happened!

- kidnap EC officials

let's see now...suppose Tony Blair, prior to his ouster, had changed the laws so that his own private telecoms company benefited in the marketplace while Virgin, Vodaphone and others in the telecoms industry were disadvantaged; suppose he had increaesd the concession on state companies like British Telecom so they could not only compete against his company, but that those concessions directly benefited Blairs own company. Let's also suppose that Blair had bought off half the opposition parties or paid them to join labour, sued the Guardian, The Times, the Independent and other leading broadsheets everytime they ran any story that questioned his actions; let's also suppose a few Tory Mps had fallen out of high-rise condos, apparently commiting suicide, and half an hour later so did their mistresses after being taken to the police station and then back to the condo; let's suppose Blair had ordered the killing of several thousand British citizens without charge, arrest or trial becaue HE said they were drug dealers, meanwhile he cracked down on the Geordies in the North who supported Newcastle United, loaded them in trucks where 70 or more of them suffocated to death; let's also add into the analogy the idea that Blair then gave huge government loans to Iraq so they could by satellite equipment from his private company, bought some prime real estate in London at a beneficial price for his wife Cherry Blair, then sold his mega telecoms company to a foreign owner and avoided paying tax to the British exchequer on the sale by doing it through proxy shares...hmm, I don't know the Brits, they're a funny lot, but my guess they'd be glad to get rid of him. Of course, they'd be a few in Northallerton (Blair's constituency, I believe) who had benefited from his patronage and a lot of people in business and the armed forces who were promoted under his wing that would be willing to finance a private war to bring him back again.

Just a thought, what do you think? No, huh?

They most certainly are NOT patriots as they seem to be intent on dragging their country into the dark ages and everyone with them.

If you mean that they are fighting for the freedom to impose their own views on everyone because the party they voted for was the largest in a hung parliament only because they cheated, then you are right.

If you mean they are fighting for the freedom to deny others the right to disagree, then you are right.

If you mean they are fighting for the freedom to launch grenade attacks on people who protest against them and then deny anything to do with it despite the fact that videos on youtube clearly show the grenade coming from the reds, then you are right.

If you mean they are fighting for the freedom to destroy other people's livings, then you are right.

If you mean they are fighting for the freedom to incite violence, then you are right.

If you mean they are fighting for the freedom to sell their vote to Thaksin, then you are right.

If you mean they are fighting for the freedom to wreck my life and millions of others, then you are right.

Fascists, extremists, fanatics, traitors would be my offering. Terrorist is a term which is far too freely used these days, but the random grenade attack on people in the skytrain the other day was by definition a terrorist attack which DID come from the redshirt side of the skirmish. Or are they fighting for freedom from the opressive dictators that are old lady street vendors and office girls with their "Hello Kitty" bags?

Anyone who thinks they are freedom fighters is being ridiculous.

- kidnap EC officials

Good story, but you haven't finished it. The question is what would that goverment do with thi exponentioaly more violent equivalent to the red shirts?

Freedom Fighters????????

The freedom for more hand-outs? The freedom to have everyone bow to their wishes without regard to the consequences of the country?

You simply need to go back to the initial talks were the PM came out right of the bat and offered to hold elections a year early (end of the year) as well as the fact that the current PM in a year has ensured the poor of Thailand are given FREE health and education as well as handing out cash payments to the poor to stimulate the economy and continue to support subsidies to farmers as well as their exemptions of taxes for almost anything to do with their farming business.

Now look at the reds actions over the past 6-weeks.

They came here claiming this was a military backed government and a puppet PM for the army. Yet, the military and police have not been ordered (yet) to clear out the mob holding the city hostage. Where else would this happen in a democratic nations let alone one ruled by the military or any kind of abusive government?????

Freedom Fighters?????? How about a bunch of ignorant people following the wishes of one man for hopefully a quick profit and no agenda or concern about any future matters of anyone else in the country or their own except for more handouts. These folks have no agenda at all or any suggestions of what would bring more opportunity to the poor or themselves except for handouts.

I take no opinion on if Socialism or Communism would be best for Thailand but everything the reds stand for appear to have these leanings yet they pretend they are about democracy. At the very least they are against capitalism.

Did you all read the latest economic data for Thailand's tourism meltdown?

The house is on fire and instead of putting out the fire, both sides are standing by and watching it burn.

The collateral damage of this event political argument could be lots of poor and middle class citizens losing their jobs.

Who would benefit from an economic meltdown in Thailand?

Perhaps one side or the other but who knows.

While people who yell fire in a room get lots of attention in the news here, the peace makers are working quietly and I do wish for their success.

Change is inevitable but how you get to the change is not inevitable destructive.

A peaceful and compromised and or slow change is possible.

Perhaps the best thing both sides could do now is to agree to a program improving education and health care for all the middle class and poor.

It takes decades to build a strong economy but only months to wreck it.

Why do people on here think its OK to hold the country hostage by taking over the countries international airport, use the army to take over power and shoot anyone who protests this oppression?

With respect to previous posts, using the UK as an analogy, Tony Blair is a war criminal and should be in jail. If he had been arrested (and he should have been) for lying to take the UK into war, would the UK have needed a military coup in order to invoke such an arrest and would the Conservative "blues" have to take over Heathrow because they didn't like the way the people still voted the Labour into power?

The yellow elites are the real terrorists in Thailand, backed by their army. They have stolen the leadership of the country. The red shirt protesters represent the ordinary people who just want a fair election. Why won't the elite give them a fair election? Is the answer to shoot the red protesters? I don't think so!

Edited by Jockey

Why do people on here think its OK to hold the country hostage but taking over the countries international airport, use the army to take over power and shoot anyone who protests this oppression?

With respect to previous posts, using the UK as an analogy, Tony Blair is a war criminal and should be in jail. If he had been arrested (and he should have been) for lying to take the UK into war, would the UK have needed a military coup in order to invoke such an arrest and would the Conservative "blues" have to take over Heathrow because they didn't like the way the people still voted the Labour into power?

The yellow elites are the real terrorists in Thailand, backed by their army. They have stolen the leadership of the country. The red shirt protesters represent the ordinary people who just want a fair election. Why won't the elite give them a fair election? Is the answer to shoot the red protesters? I don't think so!

God this tripe gets so old, over and over again it's always THEM never US.... you can just insert the bogeyman of choice...

Didn't your mamma ever teach you two wrongs do not make a right...

Edited by traderjm

Let me ask you something; do the soldiers and police get paid? Please explain to me how people are supposed to eat and take care of their families with no money. Of course a movement needs to be financed in whatever way it can. Wow, such ignorant comments from ignorant people.

The police are being paid to uphold the law. The army are being paid to protect the country from foreign and domestic threats. Many of the protesters are simply rented to be part of a lawless mob terrorizing a city and country for one man's hopeful gain.

Obviously there is a HUGE difference to find poor people and pay them to .....

forget it, why bother. I have to assume you know in your heart of hearts what is logical regardless of what you write.

May be if the movement spend little more time working rather then "mobbing" they will not be as poor-just a thought!

or may be if the movement invested all that money into infrastructure in Isaan, rather then bombs and weapons then there will be less poverty.-just another thought

Good thoughts !

Although, of course, many are being paid more for "mobbing" than they could earn working.

What I fail to understand, how is the government allowing this protest site to continue. Cut off all power, water, jam all communications. Make it dry up...

Now some might say....what about the residents.....well if you have ever been in a war zone, do not expect to continue with a normal life.

These kinds of measures would quickly disperse all but the rotten core group.

Some will argue...but they will just bring in generators.....gee, a single 50 cal bullet from a sniper ends that generator, (non violently again).

As small groups try to move to other parts of the city, arrest them...

As for the compromise.....I have posted before this question "What is the urgent need for elections NOW, and not waiting until when the constitution mandates elections??"

In the USA the current president and the former president had large groups that really despised them. Yet there was never a call in that seasoned democracy for elections NOW, instead of when the Constitution mandated them.

I am more than a little disappointed the current Thai government is letting this grow.

I disagree for several reasons.

1) As long as this demonstration continues and the focus remains on Rajprasong, there is less liklihood that 50 similar demonstrations don't pop up elsewhere. 2) I believe the government probably has intelligence gatherers in tis organization, probably has communications lines open, and probably is negotiating a more realistic schedule for dissolution, despite press reports3) And lastly, I don't think they could break it up if they wanted to and even if they could there would be a lot of casualties, collateral damage, unintended consequences and they'd probaly have to turn the govt. over to the military soon after (or just before). Waiting doesn't seem so bad in light of all that.

Can any of the red apologists please explain to us how the logic of this red argument works

1. Abhisit is a yellow eliter, backed by the military

2. The military keep delibeartely messing up all their operations cos the military are reds.

Confused.

Edited by dobadoy

Did you all read the latest economic data for Thailand's tourism meltdown?

The house is on fire and instead of putting out the fire, both sides are standing by and watching it burn.

The collateral damage of this event political argument could be lots of poor and middle class citizens losing their jobs.

Who would benefit from an economic meltdown in Thailand?

Perhaps one side or the other but who knows.

While people who yell fire in a room get lots of attention in the news here, the peace makers are working quietly and I do wish for their success.

Change is inevitable but how you get to the change is not inevitable destructive.

A peaceful and compromised and or slow change is possible.

Perhaps the best thing both sides could do now is to agree to a program improving education and health care for all the middle class and poor.

It takes decades to build a strong economy but only months to wreck it.

the economy train has already left - The PM has stated that he will hold a referendum and that all Thais will have a right to take part in the change of the constitution and he has given a fixed time frame for new elections only some month's away - a country on its knees economically would suite Thaksin just fine

It is very much possible that Abhisit has become a coup maker. Anupong does not want to shoot. His successor Prayuth does not mind to kill a few women and children. The only way that the DP wil not be disbanded is when there is a coup by a friendly general. Who knows we hear tomorrow on tV that Prayuth is the new head of the Thai army.

It will work out to be a Pyres victory anyhow. If you cannot win in three provinces how can you control a uprising in 40 plus?

Why do people on here think its OK to hold the country hostage by taking over the countries international airport, use the army to take over power and shoot anyone who protests this oppression?

Man you just do not give up do you?!

100 000 people represent 67 000 000 people?? You call that ratio ordinary people?

Where were you 1-2 years ago when PAD did seize the airport? why were you NOT on Thai Visa fighting it out?

It's looking like Kent State all over again.......1970 riot over a US planned Cambodia invasion when upset students looted, threw rocks and bottles, and otherwise taunted the police and military for a few days.

Result - 4 dead and one paralyzed for life as national guard fired rounds over a few seconds. The riot ended, but marred the country for quite some time.

If this event can be etched in the memory of nearly all Americans after 40 years, imagine what the latest incidents (and incidents yet to come) will do to the small country of Thailand.

There is no need to draw upon American history Thailand has more than enough bloody crackdowns in its recent past to draw upon. And with a population of approximately 63 million, (ranked 21/223) I wouldn't call Thailand a small country.

What I fail to understand, how is the government allowing this protest site to continue. Cut off all power, water, jam all communications. Make it dry up...

Now some might say....what about the residents.....well if you have ever been in a war zone, do not expect to continue with a normal life.

These kinds of measures would quickly disperse all but the rotten core group.

Some will argue...but they will just bring in generators.....gee, a single 50 cal bullet from a sniper ends that generator, (non violently again).

As small groups try to move to other parts of the city, arrest them...

As for the compromise.....I have posted before this question "What is the urgent need for elections NOW, and not waiting until when the constitution mandates elections??"

In the USA the current president and the former president had large groups that really despised them. Yet there was never a call in that seasoned democracy for elections NOW, instead of when the Constitution mandated them.

I am more than a little disappointed the current Thai government is letting this grow.

I disagree for several reasons.

1) As long as this demonstration continues and the focus remains on Rajprasong, there is less liklihood that 50 similar demonstrations don't pop up elsewhere. 2) I believe the government probably has intelligence gatherers in tis organization, probably has communications lines open, and probably is negotiating a more realistic schedule for dissolution, despite press reports3) And lastly, I don't think they could break it up if they wanted to and even if they could there would be a lot of casualties, collateral damage, unintended consequences and they'd probaly have to turn the govt. over to the military soon after (or just before). Waiting doesn't seem so bad in light of all that.

Yep, Ian, I think you're right. My biggest worry about a crackdown is the cackhanded half-hearted nature of it - going by all recent evidence - would almost certainly lead to a huge loss of life. It could only be done if it was done properly, as it would be in the West, and that would involve tanks, helicopters and APCs to clear out the area before infantry and fire-fighting support came in. That's unlikely to happen; I doubt they even have the capability even if they had the will.

And why can't they wait until its time for elections? Why can't they not accept Abhisist's offer of early elections by the end of this year instead of the end of next year? Please explain.

So they are dropping the red shirts. We all know why, yes? So when the reds without red attack the Thai soldiers and the general public with lethal weapons, and they are filmed doing so, they can more conveniently deny responsibility.

Precisely. This is a very disturbing development.

These are terrorist threats being made by the red shirt leaders. Some people might object to the word terrorist, but I don't know what else to call it. Insurrection perhaps? Any other suggestions?

In the same vein as the Khmer Rouge. Pol Pot was a "patriot", too, right?