Lonely Planet’s Top Foods? Alai Wah?

WitawatWatawit

Lonely Planet's top 10 foods (from Reuters) – it was making me ravenous until I hit number 10 (see for yourself)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/internationa...od-place-combos

So what the heck happened to somtam on this list (and other great Thai dishes). Dining on the street carts of any city in Thailand is still one of my greatest pleasures, even after 25 years here. Isn’t a plate of somtam with gai yang, kaew nieow, some crispy salad vegetables, maybe some yah muen sen, and a bottle of Mekong one of the great ways to spend a couple of hours? Well, I exaggerate, but only by a pinch of plik. LOL. We’ll talk about the agonizing morning ablutions and the need for Squibb, Eno, 5 bottles of water and another agonizing morning ablution later.

But after reading that story above from Reuters, they popped up another. It left me rolling on the floor:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/3619606/Br...ive-with-haggis

I’ve always believed that haggis was invented by a Scotsman who vomited into his bagpipes after eating moldy Irish stew.

(dam_n, time to duck and hide until someone discovers humour.)

Wit.

Pastrami on rye tower sandwich(never could finish one) in one of the many delis is more of a top food for NYC than a bloody hot dog

NYC pastrami sandwich

NYC all beef dog

NYC pizza

NYC bagels

All are world famous and worth a try. thumbsup.gif

To be fair, the idea of the list is ONE thing.

For us Brits a hotgog is one of the most disgusting things ever put in front of us under the guise of food. But that's based on the utter <deleted> served all over Britain at funfairs, seaside resorts and various other rituals. A proper American hotdog is a completely different thing altogether and it amazed me the variety of dogs you can get.

American hamburger, not the insipid concoction thrown up (almost literally) by the plethora of fast "food" joints, but pure ground beef is another gem.

Rather surprised nasi goreng made the list. Yes it is good but there are many other foods that are better.

As for the 18% of Brits that think the haggis is a mountain dwelling animal I was going to ask "was that the 18% that needed a translator to answer the question?" but then I thought back to the average product of what used to be a great education system and that's probably about right. I wonder what percentage answered "Aw wite m8, wots yor game ven? U wanna a fik eer or wot?".

Carnegie-Deli-Sandwich.jpg

Heaven in NEW YORK CITY :D There is only one place to go.

That, my football forum pal, is like something a cat boffed up! :)

Yes i agree Carmine!!! not the most appetising of pictures but after 10 pints of liquid in NYC this place and its food open till 4am hits the spot like any kebab does,i can assure of that.....the Carnegie Deli is an institution on 7th avenue and 55!

Carnegie-Deli-Sandwich.jpg

Heaven in NEW YORK CITY :D There is only one place to go.

That, my football forum pal, is like something a cat boffed up! :D

Yes i agree Carmine!!! not the most appetising of pictures but after 10 pints of liquid in NYC this place and its food open till 4am hits the spot like any kebab does,i can assure of that.....the Carnegie Deli is an institution on 7th avenue and 55!

Amazing, i have been there, be it a long time ago. Did'nt read through this thread very closely. It is an institution and it's fantastic. Anyone reading this, this is a very good call, going there with pints pints in you optional, but i was'nt far off that as i remember.

Great city is New York :)