Red-Shirts Must Realise Restraint Has Its Limitations

webfact

EDITORIAL

Reds must realise restraint has its limitations

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public sentiment is running high as it wants to see normalcy restored soon

For nearly two months, the Abhisit government has demonstrated extraordinary tolerance and showed restraint in handling the red-shirt protests in Phan Fah, Rajprasong and Sala Daeng intersections. Daily announcements from the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) indicated the government was working hard to cope with the situation, even though ill-intentioned elements continue to create havoc by firing mortars and throwing bombs at protestors and passers-by, causing unnecessary death and injuries. Public sentiment is running high as it wants to see normalcy restored as soon as possible.

For the average men and women, the non-use of force - the government's hallmark - does not augur well with their present frame of mind. For them, non-use of force is equivalent to ineffective use of force. They have been raised in a society where force can and should be used, especially during a state of Emergency Decree or in times of national crisis.

After all, the authorities have declared - and used tough language - in urging passer-bys not to join the protesters in Rajprasong and Sala Daeng which have been designated dangerous areas. The community has strong views that force should be used to disperse protesters and normalcy should be restored at all cost and by any means necessary.

But Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, continues to insist on the non-use of force. He wants to ensure the confrontation this time will end peacefully depite the deadly clashes on April 10. The political cost for the use of force appeared to be too high for the state sector to take up. Obviously, Abhisit is working against great odds. News reports emerged that the intra-military rivalries and police non-compliance have impeded Abhisit's authority.

One interesting development was the emergence of the deadly armed element that has resulted in the death of protestors, soldiers and a Japanese cameraman. The unnamed armed group, which has been labelled "terrorist" by the CRES, has been a key factor in the continuing demonstration.

A thorough investigation is needed to dig out the truth as to who are behind this use of force. It has been said that this armed group comprises both active and inactive military personnel with experience in fighting unconventional warfare. Taking them down is like fighting an uphill battle as they blend among the reds as they extract maximum damage. In the next few days, the role of the militant group will be decisive as they have already created a "fear factor" among the protesters.

The Abhisit government's strategy is to stay put with its current plan, separating the red-shirts protesters from the passers-by and from the so-called terrorists. At the same time, it has been trying to convince those from the rural areas to return home by providing free transport. But for this strategy to have any chance of success, their grievances and issues raised concerning income disparity and other hordes of complaints must be taken up as top priority.

The Pheu Thai Party has badly damaged its own credibility by trying to convince the Bangkok-based foreign diplomatic community that the government are killers. These diplomats are not stupid and they know full well who are the real culprits behind the ongoing mayhem.

The world community is watching Thailand very closely. International human rights organisations such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have issued statements reflecting the government's constraint in managing the conflict and attempts to restore law and order.

Sooner or later the moment of truth will smack the reds in the face. Don't be surprised if some of these red leaders are banned from entering a number of these foreign countries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is nonsense.

They have not showed restraint.

On April the 10th soldiers with live ammo tried to retake the sites.

25 people died because of it.

The mission FAILED.

Restraint ? Or simply inability to take action ?

All Abhisit needs to do is to say "The coup of 2006 was incorrect, the following events from 2006 were wrong and the parliamentary coup that put me into power was also wrong and so I dissolve the house and put the power back to the people and lets have elections".

But he prefers 26 people now dead and possibly more to come as he and his cohorts "cling to power" through force.

The so called "terrorists" are demanding for an Independent Investigation into April 10th.

PTP party have called on the UN for an Independent Investigation.

The government refuses for an Independent Investigation.

Why not get the UN in to investigate as happened say in the Bhutto murder in Pakistan ? Why does Abhisit and his cohorts refuse ?

Well, I think most people around the world can guess.

The timesonlineuk has a very good editorial calling for elections in Thailand. Abhisit must step down or be removed immediately. Aung San Suu Kyi's recent comments concur.

How would the Timesonline report it it mob rule tried to bring down a British Government?

That is nonsense.

The mission FAILED.

All Abhisit needs to do is to say "The coup of 2006 was incorrect, the following events from 2006 were wrong and the parliamentary coup that put me into power was also wrong and so I dissolve the house and put the power back to the people and lets have elections".

But he prefers 26 people now dead and possibly more to come as he and his cohorts "cling to power" through force.

Abhisit's inablility to say these simple words has resulted in a nation suffering.

Thaksins comments regarding the Tak Bai massare.

“I regret the loss of lives in a way that should not have happened, due to suffocation. I will order a committee to be set up to investigate the situation,”

Thaksin Shinawatra

“There are some who died because they were fasting, and they were crammed in tight,”

It's a matter of their bodies becoming weak.”

Thaksin Shinawatra.

Compared to Thaksin Abihist is a compassionate caring man.

"I regret the loss of lives in a way that should not have happened, due to suffocation. I will order a committee to be set up to investigate the situation,"

Thaksin Shinawatra

"There are some who died because they were fasting, and they were crammed in tight,"

It's a matter of their bodies becoming weak."

Thaksin Shinawatra.

No need to compare, just get rid of Abhisit, NOW!

The timesonlineuk has a very good editorial calling for elections in Thailand. Abhisit must step down or be removed immediately. Aung San Suu Kyi's recent comments concur.

so that's it then, because the Times in the UK says so and an activist in Burma says so, then Abhisit should just turn over the country to anarchists?

neither of them have to live here after do they?

its easy to be a commentator when it does not affect you

look at how these red animals behave now and then imagine how its going to be if they ever get any real power

Abhisit should stay the course, whatever the price......

The so called "terrorists" are demanding for an Independent Investigation into April 10th.

Why not get the UN in to investigate as happened say in the Bhutto murder in Pakistan ? Why does Abhisit and his cohorts refuse ?

Levelhead? more like no brain! Are you for real?

We make the power supply switching for the ADS. I've seen the demos when visiting Raytheon. A few of these at each end 100 yards from the Red protest sites and they will have abandoned camp in 20 minutes guaranteed. At that point the tanks roll and smash the barricades and start the clean-up. This has gone on long enough and now is spreading like a cancer to other cities. If breaking up the fortress inflames things and they have to get it on, so be it. But this "occupation" grinding the country to a halt has to be broken as humanely as possible, but broken it must be.

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/feature/ads_03-08/

Edited by naklang

they had a vote on it in Parliament

the Phua Thai lost the vote by over 100

thats real democrasy in action, not at the end of a gun

what did they do?

typical Reds, they walked out on mass because they lost the vote

ahh diddums....

That is nonsense.

The mission FAILED.

This post ignores reality.

Hyperbole, not much else.

Edited by animatic

What "community" is it that wants to see a bloodbath? What is wrong with those people that are so eager to see the army to move in and start a bloodbath?

Even last midnight there were still more than 20'000 people down at Rajparasong. Maybe there are some few black armed soldiers waiting for battle somewhere but there are still more than 20'000 unarmed peaceful human beings around. How can anyone claiming to have got even a last trace of humanity and common sense left call for an army that is trained and armed for war - armed and trained to kill people - to step in and use force? Everyone knows that these thousands of people down here are just the representatives of a huge number of people in Thailand that is certainly bigger by some orders of magnitudes than the bloodlusting "community". Is this bloodlusting "community" so eager to see a full out civil war igniting in Thailand by sending in the army and start killing people in Bangkok?

I'm really happy to see the international community is starting to take on a more reasonable point of view and is starting to recognize where the problem is.

The "Times Online" from the UK published an interesting article. Extract: "Mr Abhisit must accept the Red Shirts’ proposal of new elections in three months, a wholly reasonable proposal that he rejected out of hand in a nationwide broadcast yesterday. He must acknowledge that he has become part of the problem, and step down immediately — not for exile, as the Red Shirts demand, but for an honest fight at the ballot box."

Red Mist - Times Online

The real title is

Government and elites must realise restraint has its limitations.

The reds had been "has demonstrated extraordinary tolerance and showed restraint".

really, an average of two bombings a day since the rallys started in earnest and non have been directed at the reds

not one single red shirt hurt by a mystery bomb

now does that pose the question, who is doing the bomb throwing?

remarkable restraint?

i do not think so

Edited by timekeeper

"I regret the loss of lives in a way that should not have happened, due to suffocation. I will order a committee to be set up to investigate the situation,"

Thaksin Shinawatra

"There are some who died because they were fasting, and they were crammed in tight,"

Thaksin Shinawatra.

So it is ok for red to compare the siege to that of yellows at airport

but when Taksin gets compared to abhisit it is suddenly not ok to compare?

Sound like "double standard"

You show a true lack of common sense

Your ability to decipher truth from propaganda is slim to none

and slim has left the building

What "community" is it that wants to see a bloodbath? What is wrong with those people that are so eager to see the army to move in and start a bloodbath?

Even last midnight there were still more than 20'000 people down at Rajparasong. Maybe there are some few black armed soldiers waiting for battle somewhere but there are still more than 20'000 unarmed peaceful human beings around. How can anyone claiming to have got even a last trace of humanity and common sense left call for an army that is trained and armed for war - armed and trained to kill people - to step in and use force? Everyone knows that these thousands of people down here are just the representatives of a huge number of people in Thailand that is certainly bigger by some orders of magnitudes than the bloodlusting "community". Is this bloodlusting "community" so eager to see a full out civil war igniting in Thailand by sending in the army and start killing people in Bangkok?

I'm really happy to see the international community is starting to take on a more reasonable point of view and is starting to recognize where the problem is.

The "Times Online" from the UK published an interesting article. Extract: "Mr Abhisit must accept the Red Shirts' proposal of new elections in three months, a wholly reasonable proposal that he rejected out of hand in a nationwide broadcast yesterday. He must acknowledge that he has become part of the problem, and step down immediately — not for exile, as the Red Shirts demand, but for an honest fight at the ballot box."

Red Mist - Times Online

Red shirts are disgusting group of people

They are using women and children as pawns and bait

To put women and children in harms way is abhorant behavior at best

We will miss you when you are gone

Levelhead? more like no brain! Are you for real?

Propaganda sales and servicing.

Thaksin Shinawatra

Thaksin Shinawatra.

So it is ok for red to compare the siege to that of yellows at airport

but when Taksin gets compared to abhisit it is suddenly not ok to compare?

Sound like "double standard"

You show a true lack of common sense

Your ability to decipher truth from propaganda is slim to none

and slim has left the building

I hear your insultory words and judge you accordingly.

I support the six point position of the UDD as do many Thais and international academics and journalists. Many of us do not support Thaksin. We see it as mandatory to peace in Thailand that Abhisit leave office.

The "Times Online" from the UK published an interesting article. Extract: "Mr Abhisit must accept the Red Shirts' proposal of new elections in three months, a wholly reasonable proposal that he rejected out of hand in a nationwide broadcast yesterday. He must acknowledge that he has become part of the problem, and step down immediately — not for exile, as the Red Shirts demand, but for an honest fight at the ballot box."

Red Mist - Times Online

the single fact that the Times says ''an honest fight at the ballot box." tells you that the author knows nothing of the Thai voting culture and therefore calls into doubt the content of the rest of the article, no matter how it dovetails nicely into your support of the reds living on your doorstep.

Edited by timekeeper

Red Mist - Times Online

'... unarmed peaceful people ...'

Go and have a shower, a cup of coffee and wake up man!

Just a question:

Who thinks that elections held right now, under the current constitution, are capable of returning a government that will be seen as legitimate by the side unable to stitch together a majority coalition?

If you answer "no" to that question, then we are in exactly the same situation that we're in now after the next election (regardless of winner) and that situation is incendiary.

What practical actions can be taken to move in the right direction to a situation where a sitting government (whether one voted for it or not) can be seen as legitimate?

That is nonsense.

The mission FAILED.

Nice, LEVELHEAD.... it is true. The administration has NOT shown restraint. They have shown FAILURE TO EXECUTE, and POOR PLANNING. With all their resources, weapontry and planning, they should have solved the problem on April 10th. Instead, they let it get out of hand.

We are painting the Abhisit government as a "nice, compassionate, effective administration." Fact is, it is incompetent when it comes to dealing with conflict.

The real title is

Government and elites must realise restraint has its limitations.

The reds had been "has demonstrated extraordinary tolerance and showed restraint".

Yes, hiring terrorists to shoot at soldiers and throwing grenades at innocent people at Sala Daeng shows extraordinary tolerance and restraint. NOT!!!!

Just a question:

Who thinks that elections held right now, under the current constitution, are capable of returning a government that will be seen as legitimate by the side unable to stitch together a majority coalition?

If you answer "no" to that question, then we are in exactly the same situation that we're in now after the next election (regardless of winner) and that situation is incendiary.

What practical actions can be taken to move in the right direction to a situation where a sitting government (whether one voted for it or not) can be seen as legitimate?

The ultra-right conservative royalist military junta supporters who are the only ones that would vote for Abhisit would indeed be a bit peeved. Someone has to lose in a democracy. Wouldn't it be wonderful for it to be the most corrupt party in Thailand -= 64 years of feeding at the trough!

Abhisit is failing. He is failing to POSITION his government as compassionate, understanding and doing the right things. In my eyes, he is incompetent. He is not solving the problem.

He constantly says, "If I cannot solve the problem then I should not be in office." Well, then get out.

As far as I can see, you do not have forever to solve the problem. You have already passed several deadlines and tests and you have failed them all.

Either sh*t or get off the pot! Disperse those protesters TODAY!

if somebody here asked what would happen in Uk if such a mob would take action

he shows knowing nothing about democracy, zilch, zero

UK is a democracy with elections and human rights respected

that is not 100% true in Thailand and Thailand has a long way to go

to arrive with democracy, human rights, freedom of speech, Tv and press

I do hope Thailand will arrive there some day

duck and smile is no way

a massacre will dammage the image of Thailand

as it did for years in China

the article in The Times is not nonsens go read

One more time.

Why did the redshirts cover the security camera's?????? They could provide prove that the redshirts are innocent, or are they maybe not????????????