Where Is The Coolest Place In Thailand In March-april?

GungaDin

Fed up with Songkran & high A/C power bills, (6700bt), I'd like to get away next March for 6 weeks.

Who is getting a cool breeze this month?

Andaman Coast, Cha Am, Khao Lak, East Coast?

No Islands.

GPS Co-ords would be a help.

It's 90F in my b/room at 2200hrs

Time to put the A/c on ....... again. :)

Thanks. :D

Koh Samet by a long shot...! Apparently according to the guide books Koh Samet is supposed to be the driest place in Thailand because of it's micro climate, however it has recently over the past few years seen more rain than any other area in Thailand and also has a wicked cool breeze most nights.

Koh Samet by a long shot...! Apparently according to the guide books Koh Samet is supposed to be the driest place in Thailand because of it's micro climate, however it has recently over the past few years seen more rain than any other area in Thailand and also has a wicked cool breeze most nights.

I've just come back from a week in Koh Samet via Pattaya and can confirm Samet was much cooler!

I'm in Ranong and during the day it's warm. Usually this is the one month when we run the aircon. It's only in the bedroom., my wife is more inclined to sleep with it on than I. However we are in the middle of a rubber growing area, and it can get quite misty on a night with the trees. It's a lot warmer in the city.

I've just come back from a week in Koh Samet via Pattaya and can confirm Samet was much cooler!

Koh Samet was very nice a long time ago, won't go there again.

The best place would be the Himalaya, Mount Everest. Really cool there. No high electricity bill at all.

Our OP is hoping for places in Thailand :D

A few off topic posts regarding the Himalayas (sp), Alaska etc have been removed, let's stay on track :D

I would have thought the north would be coolest, but there's the ever present issue of smog from the burning, can't win :)

I'm in Ranong and during the day it's warm. Usually this is the one month when we run the aircon. It's only in the bedroom., my wife is more inclined to sleep with it on than I. However we are in the middle of a rubber growing area, and it can get quite misty on a night with the trees. It's a lot warmer in the city.

Hi Steve.

Are you anywhere near the coast?

Ranong is supposed to be the wettest place in Thailand. :)

I would go for Pai (19°20'47.86"N, 98°26'23.04"E). I've been there on the way from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Song, beautiful area. At above 1000 meters it should be nice and cool now.

Thanks hk,

I should go and have a look at Pai :)

Note to self: Do not drink with off duty RTP officers in Pai. :D

Ko Samet?! You gotta be kidding. That place gets like an oven in the hot season.

Best/closest place to go? Hong Kong.

Why HK? I asked for the coolest place in Thailand.

Because the question doesn't have an answer. There is no cool place in Thailand in April, except possibly for Songkran when you're wet all day and consequently not hot. :)

Doi Inthanon is neither cool, nor can you stay there. (National park with very limited accommodation). Plus that place gets so dry it just just seems to die in March/April.

But if you insist on Thailand: Tesco Lotus. Or any other big store or shopping mall.

I guess that could be Khao Yai National Park

Khao Yai National Park has three main seasons, with an annual mean temperature of 23 degrees celsius, though this varies greatly with the seasons.

Rainy Season Is from May to October. During this season most days have high rates of precipitation. The atmosphere is humid with average temperatures of 27 degrees celsius during the day dropping to 13 degrees celsius at night. Good waterfalls for travelers.

Cold season Is from November to February. Clear skies, sunny and cool. Average temperatures of 22 degrees celsius during the day and 10 degrees celsius at night. Good time for hiking.

Hot Season Is from March to April. Humid with day temperatures of 20-30 degrees celsius and 17 degrees celsius at night.

I always liked Khao Lak until 2004 when I lost several good Thai friends in the Tsunami. Now it just brings back bad memories. :) Fantastic area until then, though. The Andaman Sea has the best diving in Thailand.

The answer to this question is not difficult, despite what the deep thinkers here would have you believe. The higher you are, the cooler it is. Head to the higher elevation areas in northern Thailand. :)

SomTumTiger seems to prefer shallow thinking but that will get you in trouble.

Even if you can scale moutains to elevations "above" the smog/inversion layers, you may find it unpleasant getting up and down as one must do to get (ah'hem) supplies from time to time.

-NG (Deep Tinker)

The answer to this question is not difficult, despite what the deep thinkers here would have you believe. The higher you are, the cooler it is. Head to the higher elevation areas in northern Thailand. :)

SomTumTiger seems to prefer shallow thinking but that will get you in trouble.

Even if you can scale moutains to elevations "above" the smog/inversion layers, you may find it unpleasant getting up and down as one must do to get (ah'hem) supplies from time to time.

-NG (Deep Tinker)

Do the "Getting up and down" enough times, and you're bound to lose the spare tire you've been lugging around, and then "getting up and down" will be easier.

The north is hot i.e. C.M. - hotter than most anywhere during the day but still cooler at night. So it is a trade off.

However, I'd consider around Phuket as they generally get some rain and it really does cool things down.