Daytrip To Angkor Vat From Pattaya

tgw

I wonder if a day trip to Angkor Vat / Siem Reap in Cambodia can easily be arranged from Pattaya.

I imagine departure in the morning from U-Tapao, Visa an arrival in Cambodia, some touristy stuff in the middle and then a flight back in the evening.

Is that possible?

Has anyone done it?

Is it possible to leave a car at U-Tapao for the day?

While it may be possible, I think it would be a shame.

I visited Angkor twice, on a one day trip the first time (from Phnom Penh), om a three days trip the second time. Even three days was too short to get a good visit of the most important places: take Angkor Wat alone, a nine hundred by nine hundred meters square, any single surface of any single wall is engraved; it takes time to see it all.

No flight from U-tapao to Cambodia - by land (car/van/bus) from Pattaya to Siem Reap you will need a minimum of 3 days: 1 day to get there, 1 day to explore (not enough), and 1 day to return.

Plan to spend a minimum of 2 days - or a maximum of 4 exploring Angkor and the surrounding area. We spent 3 days there and paid the (at the time) $40.00 free 3 days pass.

Day 1: Wow.... amazing!! Beautiful!!

Day 2: Oh that's nice!!

Day 3: Do we have to climb that?? Please not another temple.... :-)

We hired a full time guide.... so we visited almost every temple and tourist attractions... but by day 3 we were ready to see something different.

We'll be traveling with children, so 1 day will be enough, and we'll not need to see every carving.

The 2 main temples, a museum and some driving around will be more than enough to get a taste.

I did some research on flights.

Air Asia flies from BKK to Pnomh Phen and back for 2500 baht, while for Siem Reap Bangkok Airways wants 14000 baht per person ??

And, believe it or not, the Bangkok Airways flight from Pnomh Phen to Siem Reap costs about 185.000 USD per person.

We'll be traveling with children, so 1 day will be enough, and we'll not need to see every carving.

The 2 main temples, a museum and some driving around will be more than enough to get a taste.

I did some research on flights.

Air Asia flies from BKK to Pnomh Phen and back for 2500 baht, while for Siem Reap Bangkok Airways wants 14000 baht per person ??

And, believe it or not, the Bangkok Airways flight from Pnomh Phen to Siem Reap costs about 185.000 USD per person.

I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that it would be a mistake to limit your visit to a single day, especially given the high cost of travel. You're travelling from Pattaya so you have to pay the cost of travel to the airport in Bangkok, pay for air tickets and visa's on arrival, tour guides and a return trip - the additional cost of a one or two nights in a hotel will not be that great. Those points notwithstanding, you'll be lucky to get a five second view of Ankor before it's time to turn around and head back, I would suggest you rethink it all but most important, go and see it anyway.

Get a bus to Poi Pet from Pattaya bus station,luxury bus 300 bt 5 hours(yellow one)Pattaya-Mukdahan the bus is.

Go over the border and hire a vehicle with driver to get you up to Siem Reap,same for the return by the time you have travelled to Bangkok and waited and flown you will be probably in Cambodia.

You should stay for 3 days to take everything in at a nice pace with younger ones,are you on a time restricted schedule?

Not commenting on costs but if you go that route you can get a bus from Phnom Penh to Sien Reap, takes about seven hours. So a day trip is not possible.

No you would be daft to waste your time and money on such a breakneck trip.

But UP2U

Definitely NOT going to spend 2 days in cars/buses/vans, be they VIP or anything else just to see Angkor Wat.

Would maybe stretch to spending one night there.

What's with private charter airplanes from Patts?

Does anyone know providers (dual engine only please).

Cambodia has a lot to offer than just siam reap.

Toured the country last year, I went initially for 4 days, ended up staying for 2 weeks!

Got the bus from Patters to koh kong, Cambodia, stayed 1 night, got the bus from koh kong to shianookville, stayed at the magical beaches for 6 days, got the bus from shianookville to pnon phenn, stayed for 2 days, saw killing fileds, S21 torture chambers, very chilling, but worth a visit. Got a private taxi from pnon phenn to siam reap, stayed 4 days, It is quite amazing just how big the area is, got a private taxi to a city about an hour from the border (forget the name now, as there was not much there), then private taxi to poi pet. Across the border, private taxi back to Patters

u-tapao only runs 2 flights per day. i think the last flight back is 4pm??? and... i don't remember any museum :)

which company? couldn't find any flights.

Thank you for your advice to stay longer.

I know the people I will travel with, and I know that after the first oohs and aaahs the third temple will not impress them so much.

For example, in Ayutthaya, 2 temples were enough.

If everyone in the group agrees that would like to see more, we'll either stay longer or schedule another trip.

The guys get 25 days of holidays in a year (they are not retired) and they wouldn't like spending 2 days (or nearly 10% of their total annual holiday) traveling in a VIP minibus, just after spending another 10% in the airplane to come to the LOS. How much more travel overhead should they take?

And no, unpaid leave is not an option. In my country it is shunned, I don't know why. Modern slavery.

Anyway, regardless of how much days we finally spend at Angkor Wat, I'm interested in fast & convenient ways to travel there from BKK or Patts.

Edited by tgw

Try here

http://www.asiatravel.com/index.html

you can type in your dates, and see exactly what you can get flights and hotels

Bangkok airways departs at 8.00 am, and returns at 20.30, (Flights are only 1 hour) possible I suppose, at least you will get to see the main temple, and possibly get the balloon trip as well, then you can see just how vast it is. Good luck

Edited by Forkinhades