The Water In My House Comes Out Hot From The Pipes...

schmutzie

We've moved into a moobaan in Lad Phrao and the water just seems lukewarm/semihot straight out of the pipes.

In some way it's quite nice as I don't have to turn on the water heaters but it does feel a bit weird when you brush your teeth.

My girlfriend isn't a big fan but getting used to it.

Whilst I can't really complain as I was getting cold shocks in our previous house (no water heaters and water tank), does anyone know why the water is like this?

Some part of the pipe system is overground?

Nuclear cooling water being recycled for consumption? (I'm joking!)

Just curious.

You're in BKK. Everything is tar, steel & brick. As a result, everything stays hotter for longer.

The water pipes are in/on the brick walls. The water tanks are probably on the roof & in the sun.

and um, it is 38 degrees out there, if not more.

You're in BKK. Everything is tar, steel & brick. As a result, everything stays hotter for longer.

The water pipes are in/on the brick walls. The water tanks are probably on the roof & in the sun.

I was in BKK before...Just down the road a couple of months ago and the water wasn't like that.

AFAICT the water does not come from a tank. We're pumping it in from the road. It's a house,

not a condo.

I'm guessing you must have a tank somewhere on your property (underground or free standing), otherwise you are taking your water straight from the mains supply, which would leave you with no water ever time the supply is interrupted for maintenance/repairs.

If you do have a tank you can lift the lid and test the temperature - if hot, try and find a way to protect it from direct sunlight. If the tank water is cool, you must have some exposed pipework (somewhere between the tank and the house) that can be lagged with reflective material.

If you don't have a tank, the mains supply pipe must be exposed to sunshine or very near the surface somewhere nearby. Not much you can do about it.

I'm guessing you must have a tank somewhere on your property (underground or free standing), otherwise you are taking your water straight from the mains supply, which would leave you with no water ever time the supply is interrupted for maintenance/repairs.

If you do have a tank you can lift the lid and test the temperature - if hot, try and find a way to protect it from direct sunlight. If the tank water is cool, you must have some exposed pipework (somewhere between the tank and the house) that can be lagged with reflective material.

If you don't have a tank, the mains supply pipe must be exposed to sunshine or very near the surface somewhere nearby. Not much you can do about it.

not saying saying it cant happen, but i i have never seen a house in bangkok fed directly from the mains. perhaps your mooban has its own tower or something of the sort. on property tank and pump are much more likely.

I was in BKK before...Just down the road a couple of months ago and the water wasn't like that.

AFAICT the water does not come from a tank. We're pumping it in from the road. It's a house,

not a condo.

A couple of months ago it was the end of the cool season, it is now the peak of the hot season. I am experiencing to same thing.

Slightly off topic but:

- In the UK, the kitchen cold supply should come direct fromt he mains; other water is normally fed from a tank in the roof space.

Again not relevant, but:

- In dubai, the cold water is normally lukewarm in winter, hot in summer, as it comes straight from the desalination plants, and doesn't lose much heat to the ground on its way to your house, and is normally stored in a tank on the roof, I believe. The hot water, on the other hand, which is stored in a tank indoors, is normally cold, as it is stored within the air-conditioned building. In the winter, it may be worth turning on the hot water heater, to get a choice between lukewarm and hot, instead of cold and lukewarm. Depends on the vagaries of the individual property.

SC

Here in Korat, same deal. Hot day, hot water. Sub 35 day. Normal temp water.

On days when its 44 outside, the water is litterally too hot to put you hand under the tap. Akin to straight from the kettle, but only the kitchen tap and only as much water that is in the pipes near the surface from the Well to the Kitchen. Its comical really.

I have a tank in the garden. Have to be careful this time of year washing after a crap, made a mistake a couple of times already this year - semi-boiling water up your bottom :D:):D

The washing machine comes off the mains in-pipe and gets practically no pressure at all (takes an hour for a quick wash because the water dribbles into the drum and the machine waits for the level to be reached).

I don't know. But I guess the current heat could be part of the answer. Water seems vaguely cooler for the first few seconds.

In my previous house we pumped from the road to a water tank on the first floor (placed in shadow). Pressure was usually poor and water quite cold for me (but perfect for my girlfriend)

Here it's the same setup, bar the water tank. Some houses seem to have them though.

I thought until now that tanks were primarily used where there was poor water pressure from the mains, but I guess that could be wrong (I would always question this when looking at houses and in those without tanks they would usually say "oh, water here is never a problem". One landlord even claimed they never needed to turn on the pump at his particular property).

I guess we'll enjoy the costless hot water and see what happens in some months.

It's clearly a miracle. What else could possibly explain hot water coming out of the taps in Thailand during April? It is a miracle for sure :)

Have you thought of writing to one of those Unexplained Mysteries type TV shows? I'm sure they would be interested in this one...

It's clearly a miracle. What else could possibly explain hot water coming out of the taps in Thailand during April? It is a miracle for sure :)

Have you thought of writing to one of those Unexplained Mysteries type TV shows? I'm sure they would be interested in this one...

Yes.. I do believe Jim is right.. April 2010.. Hey Poo bear.. my water is hot.. do you know why??

BECAUSE THE TEMP. is BOILING dumb dumb.. now who is the stupid one now?? Hey what that I see outside my window?? Is that your bot belly pig or your dog??

post-56298-1272418345_thumb.jpg

Yes.. I do believe Jim is right.. April 2010.. Hey Poo bear.. my water is hot.. do you know why??

BECAUSE THE TEMP. is BOILING dumb dumb.. now who is the stupid one now?? Hey what that I see outside my window?? Is that your bot belly pig or your dog??

Sorry, what necessitated this kind of response? I don't think I called anyone stupid.