Buying A Car

daoyai

So I have decided to go for it and have a few questions about car shopping, ! do people bargain on the price here as they do in the west, if so what % can I hope (as a foreigner) to discount. 2. Will I get a better deal in BKK as apposed to Chiang mai? Have heard airbags are not standard equipment here, is that true? Any other tips or links to info.? Thanks in advance.

Discounts are negotiable

Airbags can be standard equipment

Guess no difference between CM en BKK.

Anyway, after sales service might become a little difficult if you buy a car in BKK and go for service ion CM.

I do know that Ford, Isuzu and Nissan have a 50,000-75,000 baht margin to play with, depending on the type.

As a foreigner you will probably become a better customer for service, kindly refer to that.

And of course, sometimes there are "promotions"

If you cant negotiate a discount then try to get the dealer to throw in as many freebies as possible. Things like floor mats, window tint, undercoat, paint seal, insurance, car cover, trunk liner, umbrella, t-shirts/hat etc. I dont think you will get any better deal in Bangkok then Chaing Mai. What type of vehicle are you thinking about getting?

Having had three different cars at different times, I would say that a discount cash wise is rare but like other posters have said, get as many so called 'free' extras as you posssibly can.

As to where you purchase your car...I would say that it does depend on which dealer you buy from...each dealer has their own deals, sales targets etc.

Anyway, best of luck! :)

If you cant negotiate a discount then try to get the dealer to throw in as many freebies as possible. Things like floor mats, window tint, undercoat, paint seal, insurance, car cover, trunk liner, umbrella, t-shirts/hat etc. I dont think you will get any better deal in Bangkok then Chaing Mai. What type of vehicle are you thinking about getting?

I am thinking small, Honda city, jazz or that little toyata that looks like jazz....

If money isn't a big issue buy a Mercedes Benz or Volvo. If it is buy a Mazda or Nissan. :)
Think twice about a Mazda, mate of mine got one 6 month's ago. Two week's after getting it the rear suspension collapsed. The leather seat's have started to crack. Now the engine comp: has gone caput. He's now got it on the market. Any one want a second hand Maxda???

I am thinking small, Honda city, jazz or that little toyata that looks like jazz....

I bought jazz and if u live in the city its all you need, watch hilariously as the Thais try to do u turns in their overblown pick ups that they cant even see out of the windows.

I could be wrong here but, when we bought our new Vigo we got red number plates, which you trade in after 3 months to normal ones. However the mrs told me that during those 3 months we had to stay in Chonburi. Although my mrs says a lot of funny things to me :D

My sister in law bought a new car in Issan, my wife gave me the impression that she got a better deal than us :)

I bought jazz and if u live in the city its all you need, watch hilariously as the Thais try to do u turns in their overblown pick ups that they cant even see out of the windows.

I don't like Jazz. i like Hip Hop, he he

I could be wrong here but, when we bought our new Vigo we got red number plates, which you trade in after 3 months to normal ones. However the mrs told me that during those 3 months we had to stay in Chonburi. Although my mrs says a lot of funny things to me :D

I'm no more of an authority on this than you, but that's not the rules I was told. With the red plates I was told I cannot drive between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. and I had to carry the little booklet where you record where you are going. I specifically asked if I could drive out of Bangkok and was told yes, no problem, anywhere in the country, just not after 6 p.m. to be on the roads. Also, it doesn't necessarily take 3 months, although it can...sometimes ready for the white plates in about a month.

As to some other posts here...bought a Toyota about 2 months ago here in Bangkok. We (and I mean me and my well education Thai partner) went to 4 different dealers. 3 of the 4 there were no discounts. One kept talking about a discount, but basically said he'd tell me what the discount was after we signed the papers :) . All 4 dealers offered various amounts of free options (such as emergency kit, tinting, floor mats, auto signals, etc.). Frankly, with the 3 dealers who were dealing honestly, there was no significant difference...in fact all was spelled out on a Xeroxed sheet where the only thing different was the name at the top of the form. One dealer offered slightly less free options.

I'm no more of an authority on this than you, but that's not the rules I was told. With the red plates I was told I cannot drive between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. and I had to carry the little booklet where you record where you are going. I specifically asked if I could drive out of Bangkok and was told yes, no problem, anywhere in the country, just not after 6 p.m. to be on the roads.

Actually you're not supposed to leave the province the red plates pertain to, ie where you purchased the vehicle. The timing is sunrise to sunset... all in the driving test. :)

I bought my vehicle in Bkk and got a better deal than i would have in Khon Kaen.

Go to a few dealers and play them off on each other with prices, If one gives you 50,000 discount tell the next dealer they are giving you 60,0000 plus free this that or whatever.

I know toyota and Isuzu you can service at any dealer in the country.

Happy Hunting.

Interim plates (red) whilst waiting are to be used in your area and between sunrise and sunset. That said, I toured a lot in the 3 weeks I had to wait for permanent plates and had no problem. I'd imagine 100 baht tea money to the over-worked and under-paid constabulary would overcome a problem if it arises.

Window tinting is a common 'freebie' but don't let them do the driver and pax windows in front. Side mirrors very difficult to use when tinted - esp if you wear sunglasses. I have to wind down windows to reverse. I'll get it removed one day... Not a problem for local drivers as they don't use them.

My vehicle came with turn indicators as standard. Suspect these are usually considered an unnecessary option as I rarely see them used.

Forgive my knocking Thai driving standards. I love Thai people and their beautiful Kingdom. Then there are the expats on 300kph superbikes in Pattaya....

Good luck and drive defensively.

PS Hang a lot of stuff on the centre rear view mirror. Whilst this dramatically reduces your forward vision and you need to steady the stuff with one hand if driving slowly over bumps, this is more than offset by the good luck offered. Used to laugh, but with experience luck is probably as good as anything driving here!! Gotta get that tongue out of my cheek.

If you want a Toyota in CM just ask for kuk at the Toyota dealer inside the moat. I got a good deal on my vigo last year...all the discounts and add ons other dealers gave wit no bargaining. As I said in a previous thread a stress free and pleasant experience ulike buying in the west.

If you want to drive after 6pm on red plates the toll is 100-200 baht. Only had to pay once.

You can get a letter from the police that exempts you from this. If you have enough reasons to state why you want to drive at night or outside the province. We are going to get one as I had a hard time last year with my red plates. Working in Rayong during the week, in the weekends I'm at my house in Nakhon Sawan and we had plates from Uthai Thani as we bought the car there. I got pulled over at each and every road block. Never had to pay though.

The reason behind this rule is that a lot of people with bad intentions use red plates before or after dark to 'engage in illegal activities' (read:drive-by shootings, robberies etc.etc.). Makes it more difficult for the cops to trace them, as chances are bigger to trace stolen normal plates, for whatever reason.

Final option would be to get Bangkok plates. That's more or less a green card and they won't stop you anywhere.