Buying A New Sound System In Thailand

chrgrims

hi,

I am buying a new system for our porch. the porch will be the center of our daily life from now on, so i need a good system here. i will also add a tv, but dont need advice on that (probably buy another samsung 6 series). 

In the homeland i always had NAD, onkyo, denon, b&w etc. by no means hi end, but decent sounding systems. My question is, what brands are good value for money here? I think not imported european brands, but maybe korean or japanese? looking for general experiences about this. 

Specific elements:

-looking for a dvd player that plays cd's well too (might go with blueray, but its not a must).

-For amp, i am thinking 5.1. unless this hurts the sound of 2 channel sound a lot. i have had a few 5.1 systems but not any good ones, so i am not experienced in this aspect. The porch is huge, so it needs some power (especially when we open and turn the speakers into the garden). What specs are essential? Media will be high quality, cds and wave format files mostly.

-Speakers: first goal is to get 2 good front speakers (maybe with a sub) and then add surround later. not looking for a design speaker like bose. i have space, so they can be big.

price range: not looking for the hi end, over 150k would be a bit much for it all. but i am quite flexible if i find good value for money.

also, experience with buying second hand in thailand: 

one seller wanted to use a shipping company called thaiparcels (thaiparcels.com). he said they will check what is being sent and send a confirmation to the receiver. at that point the buyer must send all the money before the package is sent. anyone used this kind of shipping?

I will give you *my* advice here:

1. Marantz 5003 (I presume you would look into AVR, as you mention 5.1)

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetailPag...de=PWB000166925

For:

- Great audio performance

- Great price and the wattage is "right on"

- Great surround performance and have room EQ (Audyssey MultiEQ).

Against:

- No RoomEQ decoding while TrueDTS

- Not a lot of DSP's

- Limited upscaling (ichips)

2. Speakers:

- Front - Mordaunt Short Aviano 6

http://www.piyanas.com/productdetail.php?c...=en〈=en

More expensive in UK and but still get 5 stars

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-6/

- Rear - Mordaunt Short Aviano 2

- Center - Mordaunt Short Aviano 5

- Subwoofer: (this is probably where I would wait - as the aviano 6 have plenty).

Paradigm DSP3100/3200/3400.

And last but not least:

Oppo BDP83 (Standard) - have impeccable picture ABT 2010 scaler, and great sound (which you can upgrade later if needed be) - BUT!

if using only digital connection - then there will be no difference between regular and special edition.

http://piyanas.com/productdetail.php?cat=1...=en〈=en

Now let's put the prices together:

Marantz SR5003 : 23.900,-

MS Aviano 6 Speakers Front: 16.900,- (Timbre matching important) so you need to keep within the brand/series.

MS Aviano 2 Speakers Rear : 8.900,-

MS Aviano 5 Center : 6.900,-

Oppo BDP83 Bluray SACD: 19.900,-

Total: 76.500,-

So there's plenty of room for adding a great subwoofer or power amplifier if needed.

Mind you though - MOST IMPORTANTLY - As no pair of ears are created equal - you should disregard everything I suggested - and get off your butt and audition many systems - Go to Piyanas and have them demonstrate the whole thing (but they don't have the Marantz SR5003 - they have the 5004, but sound signature is pretty much the same). As long as the money is in your pocket, time is on your side - spend that time wisely and you'll end up happy for a long time.

The reason I avoid the newer Marantz model is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1179621

Edited by JackA

thanks! it doesnt say if the marantz does upscaling to 1080p.i guess that means it doesnt. the samsung 6 series tv is 1080i, so i would need upscaling probably.

i have also been looking at the yamaha rxv765. any advice on that one is appreciated.

yes, i have seen and read about the mordaunt short speakers. If someone could explain why they are so cheap to "comparable" speakers, i would be very happy!

I def need to go and listen, problem is i live far away from bkk. hopefully i will get an opportunity in the not so far future.

Please break down your budget a little better.

Figure out what you want to spend fpr AV receiver. DVD front end, Front speakers, sub etc.

I mostly use only used equip, much more bang for the buck.

My dealer assured me my Yamaha RX-V 3000 sounds great in 2 channel.

Personally I would be looking at Yamaha RX-V 1900 or RX-V 3900 for upscaling & HDMI support. From Piyanas of course.

The Panasonic Blu Ray player is 10,000 baht - so that's easy.

speakers will probably be easier to find second hand, do you think i will be able to find any of those Yamaha receivers second hand? 

yes, i will think more about the budget. but the fact is i am kinda flexible. but if i get an av-receiver for around 30-50k, i will probably need to only buy 2 front speakers and wait with the rest. dont like to travel with too much valuable stuff.

i will look into the differences between the rx-v765 and the 1900 and the 3900. they also have a rx-v1065 model.

Edited by chrgrims

No one is selling their HDMI/upscaler AV Receiver so you're pretty much down to buying new. With your budget RX-V 1900 should be no problem. I know where there is a killer pair of fronts/mains. Infinity.

I would not in any way look at a lower model Yamaha receiver.

I forgot what the prices are for those but they should fit your budget depending on how much you'll allocate for speakers.

Denon

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4171.asp

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4170.asp

Aura design note series (formerly owned by B&W)

http://www.auradesign.co.jp/jp/products/index.html

Both are sold in Thailand, Denon by Mahajak Development and Aura by KS & Sons. Both have showrooms in Paragon. I have an Aura's integrated amplifier from the time when it was still owned by B&W and for how small and cheap it was it sounded great. That said, I never really liked the distributor KS & sons.

http://www.mahajak.com/webm2009/home.php

http://www.kssons.com/

right now i have set my mind on the yamaha rx-v3900 av-receiver. I have always liked yamaha, and i used their keyboards and dsp's a lot when i made music. one thing i wonder about is upscaling to 1080. Does it look good? pretty amazing that the dsp can do that real time.

onkyo also has some nice receivers, but they are known to get hot. so forget about onkyo receivers in thailand IMO. Denon has some nice ones too, so if anyone has some specific advice on those models, i am listening.

those infinity speakers sound interesting, how much?

that denon cd player looks really slick, thanks for the link.

goal is to do both. thats why i am going with the yamaha reciever probably. it should give decent 2 channel sound also. or you think not so?

Not an easy question to answer as we all have our own idea of what defines a good, decent 2 channel sound. I guess it depends a lot on the type of music you listen to but I guess I'm too biased to think of a receiver as a serious listening device regardless of your budget (I haven't had a receiver since my college days). I also think you can't have the best of the both in one set up and I believe with your budget you can still merit from an integrated amplifier + CD player + BR player rather than receiver + universal player package unless you insist on 5.1 channel.

Yes, i understand your perspective (as we have touched on in another thread).

I do listen to all kinds of music, but the majority is not extreme hi-end productions. My plan is to have a tv on the porch. so, then the question is if i want 5.1 there or not. my plan now is yes, i will make it 5.1 there, over time. This will be the center for the family, for movies and sound. its the most comfortable place in the house, both because its close to the pool, but also because the porch is partly in shade in the afternoon, which makes it the place with the best temperature.

I might add a listening room later, with only 2 channels, but this place will be 5.1.

btw, i sent you a PM some time ago, in case you havent seen it.

Edited by chrgrims

I'm sorry, I thought I already replied to your PM. I won't resend it anyway as I really couldn't make any useful comment on the particular product in the link you sent me, let alone not knowing what model speakers the B&W are. I've once auditioned 130K - 150K baht tower type B&W speakers (believe it was 804S) at their showroom in Bangkok. It wasn't my cup of tea but thought it would suit HT application better than pure audio use. I did like their much smaller but more expensive bookshelf speakers Nautilus 805 better but that was 10 years ago I've auditioned it and I might have a different opinion about it now.

I just want to add - that most receivers, might have difficulties with 4 ohm speakers, so I think you need to look into that as well.

Coming from a Yamaha Z7, I can tell you that one of the differences from the rx-v3900 is the ability to adjust the properties of the

ABT2010 scaler which is they both share. But they are in fact very similar and my z7 didn't have any problems running the 4 ohms dynaudio, BUT! I only have 2 speakers, as you increase the the amount of speakers, you'll most certainly look into 8 ohm speakers, because I managed to

make my z7 trip the protection - when I added a 6 ohm center speaker. And the powersupply on the Z7 is supposedly "beefed" up from the rx-v3900.

I'm certain you'll meet a meltdown, if you get 5.1 speakers with 4 ohm - the Yamaha will not do it. And as no impedence is linear, watch out for those dips that usually happens in the lower frequency range.

Edited by JackA

Thanks for great input. yes, power can become a problem. i might get 8 ohm speakers for the front and back and a 4 ohm sub. or 4 ohm for front and sub and 8 ohm for the back. also, i can add a power amp to the pre out if need be. feedback on these ideas are welcome.

Thanks for great input. yes, power can become a problem. i might get 8 ohm speakers for the front and back and a 4 ohm sub. or 4 ohm for front and sub and 8 ohm for the back. also, i can add a power amp to the pre out if need be. feedback on these ideas are welcome.

I would presume that you would want a powered subwoofer - and thus you can disregard the impedance on that - as you'll use LFE / SUB out. - In order for you to get the "best" surround performance - you'll see that most would get the same brand & series for the most important speakers Front L+R and Center, because the "timbre" will match - meaning if a voice pan from L->C->R or vice versa, the voice will sound the same no matter where it focused.

The rear speakers on the other hand - is IHMO much less important. In movie performance the Center RULES.

yes, i agree about your points. We are going to cha-am tomorrow, and then to bkk on saturday. plan is to go to mr balance in pantip. on this trip i am mostly interested in listening to different systems. if i buy something it will be speakers (i have an amp i can use until i buy something better later). an amp or receiver is easy to buy later. i have never been to pantip before. is it close to where the red shirts are now?

also, i will bring my external hd with music (wave format and some flac). if someone wants to swap music, send me a PM (all styles including classical, jazz and electronica). i am not interested in MP3 though. i will probably stay in bkk 1 night, but not completely sure right now.

Edited by chrgrims

just got back from mr balance. he had some nice infinity speakers there, delta 60. i also listened to some rodgers speakers i liked a lot, ls88. making my decision later today or tomorrow. probably get some of them. the only receiver they had was the rx-v2600.

bought rogers ls-66 and ls-88 at mr balance. 88 for the front, 66 for the back speakers. thanks to all who contributed in this thread, without your help i would not have found the store or made the decisions i made on speakers.