Chiang Mai Farang Tourist Police

Loaded

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually almost all the farang volunteers at police station were wearing polo shirts with patches, not regular police uniforms. They all seemed very helpful and polite and not at all like power hungry types. They were only talking to trekkers and giving directions to people at station. What is wrong with that? I think the people I met there were giving a good image of farangs. They were polite and well dressed. When I go to immigration I cannot believe at how most of my fellow farangs appear. They wear dirty clothes and are often unwashed and smell terrible. Truthfully I think many of them could not even qualify to work for police and perhaps this is why they are so hostile. In business I have I often have farang customers who are totally rude and obnoxious to the Thai workers and somehow feel superior to the Thais even though they look and smell like pigs. Yesterrday I talked to customer on phone who has been in Thailand only 1 week and was very irate because Thai girl at shop did not speak English well enough, even though this guy seemed basically illiterate. I do not have time to really devote to police volunteer and already am involved in other volunteer activites besides. However I was in law enforcement for 25 years and would not mind volunteering for TPD volunteer job as it is not a law enforcement job, just a way to do something useful. If someone chooses to spen all their time getting drunk and chasing prostitutes that is their business. But I cannot understand why these same people criticize someone who does something productive for soiciety.

Quite a few members of this Forum were real cops in their previous lives (yours truly was too but a long time ago).

I can't understand why anyone would want to be a pretend police person, particularly in a country where they have absolutely no authority.

Some folks just like to wear uniforms and think they are a little more important than what they really are. There will always be some individuals who will abuse what little rank they have over others.

Maybe the RTPD will one day permit these FOTP to carry weapons so they can all get pissed and have a shoot out with each other.

I have seen your post before BB regarding the TPV and you have nothing postive to say so sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut when theres nothing positive coming out of it

Why?

This is an open forum, FC. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have stated mine. Obviously you don't like my opinion and that's your perogative, but I will continue to say what I want whether you like it or not.

Make sure you iron some nice creases on your little blue overalls when/if they let you back in. :)

Took you that long to think something up confirms your not that bright

but I knew that already :D

FC (nice acronym), your "your" should be "you're". Example: "You're not that bright." Right? :D

Edited by Blinky Bill

Actually almost all the farang volunteers at police station were wearing polo shirts with patches, not regular police uniforms. They all seemed very helpful and polite and not at all like power hungry types. They were only talking to trekkers and giving directions to people at station. What is wrong with that? I think the people I met there were giving a good image of farangs. They were polite and well dressed. When I go to immigration I cannot believe at how most of my fellow farangs appear. They wear dirty clothes and are often unwashed and smell terrible. Truthfully I think many of them could not even qualify to work for police and perhaps this is why they are so hostile. In business I have I often have farang customers who are totally rude and obnoxious to the Thai workers and somehow feel superior to the Thais even though they look and smell like pigs. Yesterrday I talked to customer on phone who has been in Thailand only 1 week and was very irate because Thai girl at shop did not speak English well enough, even though this guy seemed basically illiterate. I do not have time to really devote to police volunteer and already am involved in other volunteer activites besides. However I was in law enforcement for 25 years and would not mind volunteering for TPD volunteer job as it is not a law enforcement job, just a way to do something useful. If someone chooses to spen all their time getting drunk and chasing prostitutes that is their business. But I cannot understand why these same people criticize someone who does something productive for soiciety.

BINGO !

BINGO !.

What about the TPDV that is in a bar/pub in uniform drinking a beer and chatting up a BG. I have seen this more than once. Bingo

BINGO !.

What about the TPDV that is in a bar/pub in uniform drinking a beer and chatting up a BG. I have seen this more than once. Bingo

Time and place and name as they all have name tags, otherwise your pi--ing in the wind !

BINGO !.

Time and place and name as they all have name tags, otherwise your pi--ing in the wind !

Only in your mind, reality is totally different.

I have yet to visit a police station so have only seen the folks in the more militia/cop looking uniforms on walking street. Never had any interaction with them, just a visual impression that they were there for security reasons.

I find it odd that you would use this topic as a reason to rant about your feelings toward some other farang and imply that those are the types that may not approve of the current (or past) tourist police volonteer program.

Only in your mind, reality is totally different.

I'm impressed that almost makes sense ! :)

A bit off topic, I think he volunteers should be "tourist information volunteers" in a non police type uni., something like a special t-shirt or polo shirt wjth distinctive logo. They would be able to interface with police but that would be only one part of the job. I think if that were the case everybody would respect them and that would also attract a different sort of person to the "job".

People did respect us with the exception of the usual TPV bashers in general 99% of people respected us and i hardly ever had any problem with the likes of people that bash the TPV online probably because they are spineless and smile and chat niceley when they see us but online they get all rambo.

I did have one guy making faces behind my associate taking the mic but when I called him on it he shrunk and apologised profusely and laughed it off as just joking.

BINGO !

The TPV has both the regular uniform and also we have Polo Shirts that can be used ONLY at the Police station when I was in we were not allowed to wear them when on patrol and were specifically ordered to wear the full uniform.

I actually like the Black polo with a few minor changes it might look ok but they also have a pink one which I absolutely refuse to wear as I am not that ok with my sexuality to wear PINK LOL :)

i presume that was a looong while ago I very much doubt you have seen any TPV in a bar drinking beer I would certainly pass by and patrol the bar areas as a lot are owned by farang and we got on very well with the owners who appreciated us coming by as far as drinking beer in public view sorry you wont see that but a diet coke wont be refused.

A bit off topic, I think he volunteers should be "tourist information volunteers" in a non police type uni., something like a special t-shirt or polo shirt wjth distinctive logo. They would be able to interface with police but that would be only one part of the job. I think if that were the case everybody would respect them and that would also attract a different sort of person to the "job".

People did respect us with the exception of the usual TPV bashers in general 99% of people respected us and i hardly ever had any problem with the likes of people that bash the TPV online probably because they are spineless and smile and chat niceley when they see us but online they get all rambo.

I did have one guy making faces behind my associate taking the mic but when I called him on it he shrunk and apologised profusely and laughed it off as just joking.

I wonder how you assume that 99% respect. Though I am not a "basher" I did not respect or disrespect, I just walked by, wondering why they were there, was there really such a security risk? Do the real police really lack the skills to handle farang? If they are there to provide info, why the police uniform? Why even a police connection? Observing the body language and expressions of some of the guys it did seem as if they were needing to feel some "power".

I wonder how you assume that 99% respect. Though I am not a "basher" I did not respect or disrespect, I just walked by, wondering why they were there, was there really such a security risk? Do the real police really lack the skills to handle farang? If they are there to provide info, why the police uniform? Why even a police connection? Observing the body language and expressions of some of the guys it did seem as if they were needing to feel some "power".

Are you a business owner in Chiang Mai ? I can only say what I felt when I went round all the farang business's 99% were all extremely friendly and happy to have a conversation with us, quickly tell us about any problem they are having I even had business's call me when I was not working asking for advice so I felt we were not only accepted by the farang business community but also useful to them or why would they call me first when they were having a problem.

As for body language its your perception I really had no power trip cause I knew we had none however if there was a problem such as a bar problem they could do something in reality and when the real cops came whos side do you think they would be on if they got there and a TPV was in the middle of handling a bar dispute.

look at the Pattaya TPV they get into it when they in reality should not but they do and have the real police backing in any situation. so you can say they can do nothing but in the real world if you had a problem with one you would surely lose when the real cops showed up whether you like it or not

Are you a business owner in Chiang Mai ? I can only say what I felt when I went round all the farang business's 99% were all extremely friendly and happy to have a conversation with us, quickly tell us about any problem they are having I even had business's call me when I was not working asking for advice so I felt we were not only accepted by the farang business community but also useful to them or why would they call me first when they were having a problem.

A lot of talk of dealing with business owners. Presumably these guys aren't tourists. But the 'T' in TPDV is 'tourist' right? Is there a desire to help tourists - who might be gone tomorrow without a kind word - or a desire to be 'connected' in the community?

Well certainly a good reason for a reprimand but sacking the lot? Anyway, my impression is that they weren't well regarded by the regulars probably for much the same reasons that the part time civilian police support staff in the UK have a tough time - possibly not very fair but they're seen as not paying their dues by going through the full training I guess.

I've never had cause to use their services but I'm sure that many have helped tourists in lots of situations.

Greenside Just reread your post and your comment about not being well regarded by the regulars is so wrong.

Many times we went and had a tour of the main police station and met the big head honcho and all the top cops and the regualrs always were extremely friendly to us and waying us, when on patrol when we saw regular cops they were always friendly and would say hi or aknowledge us nothing but respect and at no time did I feel they thought less of us more that they really respected us for working for free.

The only disdain and disrespect I have ever seen with regards to the TPV is the farangs on the message boards outside of that the reality is that they are appreciated and respected for vountering there time for free and trying to be part of and helping the community.

On another note, both my brothers are real Policemen in the UK one is a Inspector and the other a regular PC the PC one just visited me and we had a chat about the community officers in the uk and he implied that they are becoming more and more an integral part of the Police force and I said oh they are just pretend and he said they serve a real purpose and that mentality is changing as they do a lot of the work that they dont want to do which leaves them more time for more important policing.

Edited by FarangCravings

A lot of talk of dealing with business owners. Presumably these guys aren't tourists. But the 'T' in TPDV is 'tourist' right? Is there a desire to help tourists - who might be gone tomorrow without a kind word - or a desire to be 'connected' in the community?

If you read my previous posts I implied we had helped loads of tourists and farang business owners obviously have tourists in there business's so its all part of the same thing. We patroled night market every sunday Anusarn market Night Market all places where there is a large amount of tourists.

The TPV has both the regular uniform and also we have Polo Shirts that can be used ONLY at the Police station when I was in we were not allowed to wear them when on patrol and were specifically ordered to wear the full uniform.

I don't understand all the bashing on the uniform.

In general Thai people like uniforms, so it's no surprise that TPV are put into uniforms as well.

I actually like the Black polo with a few minor changes it might look ok but they also have a pink one which I absolutely refuse to wear as I am not that ok with my sexuality to wear PINK LOL :D

:)

Hmmm I have my personal opinions about those that choose to "volunteer" with the police but those are my personal opinions and have no bearing on this thread.

If the title of the thread is accurate, then I heartily approve.

Hmmm I have my personal opinions about those that choose to "volunteer" with the police but those are my personal opinions and have no bearing on this thread.

If the title of the thread is accurate, then I heartily approve.

You will be unhappy to know the title is not true

Mr, Cravings, No, not a business owner but if you spoke to me I most likely would be friendly and happy to converse with you. Best of luck.

In general Thai people like uniforms, so it's no surprise that TPV are put into uniforms as well.

I actually like the Black polo with a few minor changes it might look ok but they also have a pink one which I absolutely refuse to wear as I am not that ok with my sexuality to wear PINK LOL :D

As many people realize that the police are a criminal organization, farang that wear the uniform are seen as connected to them.

BINGO !.

As someone said earlier. Show us the evidence. Otherwise you just full of sh*te.

OK lets see how this goes. The TVTP idea was a good idea at the time. The Local Thai authorities thought they needed a better liaison between themselves and the tourist so enter the foreigner/volunteer. Most volunteers give their time as a way of returning their thanks to the community that in itself is appreciated. Unfortunately not all the volunteers have honorable intentions and that is where things go adrift. The police amongst the expat community let along the Thai community has very little respect so anything or anybody associated with the police is looked down on. When it is said business owners one well assume that we are talking about bar owners. It strikes me as interesting that the BIB are normally only seen in these business when they are on official business they normally do not stop by for a friendly talk but yet the TVTP are seen now and then in uniform in these business chatting away. Now this is Thailand but where I'm from NO POLICE/VOLUNTEER in uniform would be allowed in a bar unless they were called upon. That in its self shows the lack of training and supervision from the Thai authorities. Uniforms I don't go to the police stations so I cant say if they are wearing any clothes at all but the uniform that is seen on the street kind of strikes me as being out of the Hitler era. It is not user friendly. As far as seeing abuse of authority yes I have in spades. One of the subjects left town and you can see him in Prasat in his uniform strutting around town while all the locals laugh their arse off at him. Another individual lets just say he is from a country across the English channel from England. Those of you that are trying to do good cheers. Those of you that resent any thing negative, what can I say?

OK lets see how this goes. The TVTP idea was a good idea at the time. The Local Thai authorities thought they needed a better liaison between themselves and the tourist so enter the foreigner/volunteer. Most volunteers give their time as a way of returning their thanks to the community that in itself is appreciated. Unfortunately not all the volunteers have honorable intentions and that is where things go adrift. The police amongst the expat community let along the Thai community has very little respect so anything or anybody associated with the police is looked down on. When it is said business owners one well assume that we are talking about bar owners. It strikes me as interesting that the BIB are normally only seen in these business when they are on official business they normally do not stop by for a friendly talk but yet the TVTP are seen now and then in uniform in these business chatting away. Now this is Thailand but where I'm from NO POLICE/VOLUNTEER in uniform would be allowed in a bar unless they were called upon. That in its self shows the lack of training and supervision from the Thai authorities. Uniforms I don't go to the police stations so I cant say if they are wearing any clothes at all but the uniform that is seen on the street kind of strikes me as being out of the Hitler era. It is not user friendly. As far as seeing abuse of authority yes I have in spades. One of the subjects left town and you can see him in Prasat in his uniform strutting around town while all the locals laugh their arse off at him. Another individual lets just say he is from a country across the English channel from England. Those of you that are trying to do good cheers. Those of you that resent any thing negative, what can I say?

I keep seeing it mentioned TPV in bars but I am sorry I just dont see it and while when I was on patrol i would pass by and say hi to the owners in passing and might go in and say hi there is nothing wrong with that as long as i dont drink beer or whatever but we can certainly are not hanging out in bars as it is being implied its a mere passing by with a quick hello to owners on occasion we might be struck up in conversation as with one bar owner asking about being gangstered with his music and Ipod player that they tried to confiscate and asking advice on how to handle that, another occasion struck up with another Bar ownerr who had been severly bottled by another farang along with a thai girl he also asking for advice, thats what we are there for.

Most of our patrol was on the night market anusarn and walking street and would pass thru the bar areas also

I had a casual friend with one TPV, years ago. Never seen a TPV in uniform. Don't have a dog in this fight exactly. Calling posters 'full of <deleted>' is insulting.

In this thread posters have referred to other people's posts with:

"full of <deleted>"

"idiots"

"absolute BS"

There's one thing they all have in common (drum roll)

They are all Tourist Police Volunteers (albeit one who was sacked)

Is this really the way to communicate with people?

Edited by Loaded

Having seen foreign Tourist Police Volunteers wandering around now in 3 cities in Thailand I can honestly say that IMHO the program should be completely eliminated. It seems to attract volunteers that just should not be in uniform (anywhere -- again imho) in Thailand. Two that I have personally spoken to could not speak Thai at even a marginally conversational level and both seemed to be "all about the image".

I willingly grant that I have not spoken to a great many TPV's and that it may not be a representative sample. There have been plenty of reports about the behavior of others that I have never met that seem to back up my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't be willing to accept ANY help from a TPV given the biases I have seen them openly hold.

As many people realize that the police are a criminal organization, farang that wear the uniform are seen as connected to them.

This is called prejudice profiling it sounds as though you have a very big ax to grind ! :D