Bo Sang?

Toolz

Can't find anything on here. All I know is it's an 'umbrella village'. I'm pushed for time organizing this and that but I do have to be out by the Super Highway first thing tomorrow so was wondering. Is it picturesque? Or is it tourist-trap central. Opinions from any that have been welcome. Third-hand, hearsay, whatever also welcome.

Its ok, lots to see. Worth a trip. Not really a tourist trap, compared to prices in Chiang Mai proper.

If you are looking for higher quality crafts, go to Baan Tawai. nice coffee shop there also. could spend hours there.

Edited by whiterussian

Thanks! I won't be buying anything at all so prices don't matter. Just wondering if there's a pleasant vibe, good for photos. If it's any guide, I quite liked the 'floating market' at Damnoen Saduak, Ratchaburi - I was suprised - even went a second time!

Thanks! I won't be buying anything at all so prices don't matter. Just wondering if there's a pleasant vibe, good for photos. If it's any guide, I quite liked the 'floating market' at Damnoen Saduak, Ratchaburi - I was suprised - even went a second time!

I would suggest Baan Tawai then... Bo Sang is a bit dusty and dull in comparison.... but has some good stuff for folk who want to export etc.

im sure you will enjoy Baan Tawai

http://www.ban-tawai.com/

Edited by whiterussian

I would suggest Baan Tawai then... Bo Sang is a bit dusty and dull in comparison.... but has some good stuff for folk who want to export etc.

im sure you will enjoy Baan Tawai

http://www.ban-tawai.com/

..but Ban Tawai doesn't have the umbrella factory..that's the whole point in the OP going there to would be to see the whole process from start to finish..plus hand painting for clothing whilst you wait..educational tour with guide and shop fully stocked with huge amount of goods..well worth the visit to Bo San

Edited by rodcourt49

Went to Bo Sang. Got there at 10am which was obviously a bad time - nobody else there. It was very sunny so I didn't have much patience for exploring and I didn't find much. The sellers vastly outnumber the makers from what I saw. Was hoping for more of a concentration of colour. Very concrete - not exactly a 'village'. I shall try again in the cool season - late afternoon/early evening.

Edited by Toolz

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Toolz,

Well, Bosang has been portrayed as being "famous" for its beautiful women, as well as umbrellas.

Friends we've sent there often have not found it particularly interesting: often their taxi driver (unless they used one we recommended) took them to various jewelery and ceramic emporium where they were somewhat pressured to buy stuff (and the driver would get a cut, you can be sure).

Second the opinion that Baan Tawaii is much more interesting.

best, ~o:37;

Went to Bo Sang. Got there at 10am which was obviously a bad time - nobody else there. It was very sunny so I didn't have much patience for exploring and I didn't find much. The sellers vastly outnumber the makers from what I saw. Was hoping for more of a concentration of colour. Very concrete - not exactly a 'village'. I shall try again in the cool season - late afternoon/early evening.

I used to live out that way and the best time to visit if you want a bit more colour is when the "Umbrella Festival" is held. Can't remember the time of the year but Google would probably help out there.

Also, yes, if you have your own transport, continue out to Roong Aroon hotsprings and when done there, rather than retracing your steps, sling a left at the junction and head back via the 118/Doi Saket Rd. Nice little loop there.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I used to live out that way and the best time to visit if you want a bit more colour is when the "Umbrella Festival" is held. Can't remember the time of the year but Google would probably help out there.

Also, yes, if you have your own transport, continue out to Roong Aroon hotsprings and when done there, rather than retracing your steps, sling a left at the junction and head back via the 118/Doi Saket Rd. Nice little loop there.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Good fishing too at Bosang MASSIVE Mekong Catfish 5-6ft long

I went to Bo Sang a little while back and spent the better part of an afternoon shopping around. The umbrella factory was nice but I found a lot of the other little wooden things sold there could be purchased for much less at the little shops along the little shops just outside.