Is Bangkok Safe?

w11guy

I'm planning to move to BKK in 4 weeks time and already have my flight and apartment booked. UK government is advising against all travel to Thailand, but I'm not that sure that they are a reliable source of info. So what's it really like there? At the moment I am still planning to come, but don't want to arrive in the middle of acivil war. I know the news makes these things seem worse than they actually are, so not sure what to make of it. Over the past 4 weeks I've just been assuming it will sort itself out before I arrive, but it seems like it is getting worse.

What advice do you guys have?

I live on lower Sukhumvit and I go to work every day. The worst thing I have seen is the traffic is worse and there are plenty of soldiers around. Mind you its interesting to see that obviously the people of Bangkok appreciate the "Peace Keepers" as there were many gifts for them on the overpass from Asoke BTS to the Asoke junction. I saw them with Sample bags with Chrisps, Water, Red Bull and one lucky chap had a 4-pack of Yoghurt he was eating his way through.

I think the advice would be to avoid anywhere there is a protest or gathering of large crowds of people, and don't wear red in Bangkok.

The UK Goverment's certainly are not a reliable source of information, that's one of the main reasons why i emigrated... :)

I've just seen the news that the Foreign Office has advised against all but 'essential' travel to Thailand.I think they are right to do so. The situation could easily spiral out of control and while i don't think foreigners will ever be targets for violence it could get back to the point of the airport being shut down again and travel chaos getting out of the country.

I remember in '08 when it happened after a couple of days stranded at the airport many tourist were regretting having come.

I work right in the thick of it, and have only had one hairy moment so far, that was a load of multicoloured shirts running towards our end throwing stuff at the police!!!! That was the same day as the grenades exploded across the road. Apart from that, I still go to work everyday and do not feel worried. Except for when the troops start to panic.

You will be ok just stay away from the red shirt camp.

It seems to me that the British Government are overstating the warnings. I can't believe they are phoning people and asking them not to go, no other country is doing this.

The British Government is phoning people? 'hello, this is the government, please don't go to Thailand it's not safe'

seriously though, where did you hear that they were phoning people? or did they phone you?

It seems to me that the British Government are overstating the warnings. I can't believe they are phoning people and asking them not to go, no other country is doing this.

The British Government is phoning people? 'hello, this is the government, please don't go to Thailand it's not safe'

seriously though, where did you hear that they were phoning people? or did they phone you?

I've read it here on Thai Visa and I think in a UK newspaper, they are phoning people up who are booked onto flights and asking them not to fly. The travel insurance issue is the main one as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe some enterprising company in Thailand should offer full travel insurance to people stranded in the UK so these people can continue their trips with the full cover they need.

It's an odd situation now. In Saladaeng you have thousands of soldiers walking the streets with guns. Sidewalks are blocked with razorwire. There are large barricades set up by protesters. But life goes on. People have adapted and kept on living their lives in the middle of it all. The sidewalks are full of food vendors, offices are open, most businesses continue to operate. Embassies continue to function. You are fooled into thinking maybe it is safe. But at any time grenades could be launched. At anytime the protesters may provoke a clash with police. Yesterday they waged a battle for several hours on one of the busiest roads into the city. On Monday the skytrain shut down for hours due to sabotage. It wouldn't take much for things to unravel.

I've read it here on Thai Visa and I think in a UK newspaper, they are phoning people up who are booked onto flights and asking them not to fly. The travel insurance issue is the main one as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe some enterprising company in Thailand should offer full travel insurance to people stranded in the UK so these people can continue their trips with the full cover they need.

Really? wow, I hadn't heard or read that. Which government department would be doing the calls? The Foreign Office? With regard to travel insurance, my insurance company replied to my question as to the validity of my policy under the current (as of yesterday) FCO warning about avoiding all but essential travel, by telling me that if you travel when the FCO warns against ALL travel then claims would not be met.

I'm still waiting for their answer on what happens under the current warning about all but ESSENTIAL travel. Anyway, I'm still coming, got stuff to sort out, which makes it essential :D I will (try to) make a point of NOT taking the Thai g/f to the protest area as she will most likely want to ask them in person if they have no family or work to do at home and why they feel the need to stop her from going shopping! And if she gets angry, I don't fancy their chances to be honest! :)

LOL i can believe it from the most PC country in the world, only in the UK would they tag a grandmother for selling a goldfish

The UK Goverment's certainly are not a reliable source of information, that's one of the main reasons why i emigrated... :)

I've just seen the news that the Foreign Office has advised against all but 'essential' travel to Thailand.I think they are right to do so. The situation could easily spiral out of control and while i don't think foreigners will ever be targets for violence it could get back to the point of the airport being shut down again and travel chaos getting out of the country.

I remember in '08 when it happened after a couple of days stranded at the airport many tourist were regretting having come.

I moved here on a retirement visa about a year ago. I think your answer is a good one...it's not "what is" that bothers me, as much as "what could happen".

I am concerned enough that I have made some very preliminary inquiries about regaining my monetary assets that are here in the country if I have to leave, how to sell my car, and how to ship out my belongings.

I still don't think that will be necessary, but I think anyone who doesn't even consider things like that is being reckless.

I think I'll stay out of the UK. Didn't they have some bombs go off there targeting innocent people?

When i was growing up there was a campaign of bombing in the UK mainland by the IRA, last bombs we had were in 2005, then there was the car parked outside a club in London that was packed with explosives, diffused by the authorities, the guy who set himself on fire driving into the airport in Glasgow, that was a couple of years ago I think, if you want to go right back in time, you can still see where the Luftwaffe bombing runs changed the architecture, so yeah, we've had a few. Has your government phoned you and told you not to come? (still can't find any news source that says the UK govt. has been phoning people, they can just about manage to empty the bins never mind calling people and asking them not to go on holiday!)

What's this about a civil war in Thailand?

Yes, appears that the UK media is having a field day reporting about Thailand, even though most of their Thailand news reporters' only previous knowledge of Thailand was gained from a three day stop-over 7 years back.

Bangkok's unrest is nothing like as reported abroad. About safety, i would be more afraid of the possible unrest at a local British pub on a Friday night.

Things are definitely unstable here; you can't rely on the transportation services because of various terrorist activities; furthermore they have apparently made the BTS stations a focus of their terrorist activities. I would stay away from any stations within 3 stations of the central hub as much as possible, especially at night. Staying away from any of the recent points of conflict is a no-brainer, though I am aware that some silly foreigners have become 'riot tourists.'

Anyone who is relying on travel insurance should check their policies VERY carefully to see in the fine print if having their country issue certain levels of warnings invalidates the insurance or not.

In general, it's not a time when anyone should be travelling to or within Thailand without a reason much better than tourism- and even if you're coming to Thailand, stay out of Bangkok and Chiang Mai as much as possible.

I think it would be fair - if possible - to ask for a postponement for a few weeks, to see if the situation is resolved or improves.

The longer it goes on, I think the more unpleasant things may turn, as Thais start to battle Thais in response to the government/police/army doing nothing about the situation. Thailand - and Bangkok in particular - in a civil war could be quite dangerous. Instead of enjoying getting "the farang" with the water guns during songkran as it's apparently such a laugh, they will have deadlier weapons, and certain groups will have Thaksin in their ear, who appears not too thrilled that he has been shunned by many western countries. Revenge time? Possible.

If things do happen to improve, and the Red Leader accepts a date for the dissolving of parliament, things would be instantly better (everyone would leave Bangkok and go home). Then everything will get back to normal very, very quickly, judging by how little Thais seem to bear grudges and usually take the path of least resistance - leading to a return to normality in the city and business as usual.

Until the results of the election. Then the Yellows get to start it all up again...

Things are definitely unstable here; you can't rely on the transportation services because of various terrorist activities; furthermore they have apparently made the BTS stations a focus of their terrorist activities. I would stay away from any stations within 3 stations of the central hub as much as possible, especially at night. Staying away from any of the recent points of conflict is a no-brainer, though I am aware that some silly foreigners have become 'riot tourists.'

Anyone who is relying on travel insurance should check their policies VERY carefully to see in the fine print if having their country issue certain levels of warnings invalidates the insurance or not.

In general, it's not a time when anyone should be travelling to or within Thailand without a reason much better than tourism- and even if you're coming to Thailand, stay out of Bangkok and Chiang Mai as much as possible.

The only post you should be taking notice of...

No, it's not.

The sidewalks are full of holes and obstacles that could easily cause you to fall or twist an ankle.

There are electrical cables hanging all over the place that have caused a number of deaths over the years.

Packs of scabbie dogs run loose all over the place, occasionally biting a passing stranger.

Often delicious food from less than hygienic vendors can cause your insides to drop out.

The driving is apocalyptic. Any participation could be dangerous.

You could be lured from your path by one of the many harpies, and find your funds sucked dry.

Oh, or you could be blown up by a grenade whilst waiting for a skytrain. :)

I think I'll stay out of the UK. Didn't they have some bombs go off there targeting innocent people?

When i was growing up there was a campaign of bombing in the UK mainland by the IRA, last bombs we had were in 2005, then there was the car parked outside a club in London that was packed with explosives, diffused by the authorities, the guy who set himself on fire driving into the airport in Glasgow, that was a couple of years ago I think, if you want to go right back in time, you can still see where the Luftwaffe bombing runs changed the architecture, so yeah, we've had a few. Has your government phoned you and told you not to come? (still can't find any news source that says the UK govt. has been phoning people, they can just about manage to empty the bins never mind calling people and asking them not to go on holiday!)

Sorry. I didn't mean to pick on the UK. They did have some recent terrorist bombings in the underground and a bus, I believe. The world is becoming unsafe. The situation here (at least the political one) is localized. Outside of Bangkok, you'd never know what was going on. However, it's not a good situation.

Why would you risk it?

Nothing can be worth it

When you can't go here, can't go there ... why bother?

Watch out for this, watch out for that .... why bother?

My girlfriend is from BKK and her UK visa is about to expire, so we have decided t move to BKK.

There are some very interesting answers here and maybe some misinformation. I don't know if the UK government have phoned anyone asking them not to fly, but have only seen it mentioned on two forums, so I doubt it is ture. They certainly haven't phoned me. I also can't believe they would do this.

Regarding the safetly of BKK, many of you say it's safe but some point out that violence could erupt at any time. That's true, but it's also tru of most places in the world. I live in London and, as someone else pointed out, we have always had terrorists bombing us. It was the IRA through the 70s, 80s and 90s and in 2007 the underground and buses were bombed, resulting in more deaths than there have been in BKK recently. Also the terrorism here is targetted at civilians. At least in BKK it seems to be mostly between red shirts and army/police. Also in London we have people getting killed weekly by guns and knives, even in our clubs. Someone even used a sub-machine gun a club a few weeks ago. I think one person was killed and a few injured. And a 16 year old girl was shot in the head and killed in a chip shop last month. This is the reality of London, but I still feel safe here. I imagine it's the same in BKK.

A question for those who say it is too unsafe to come to BKK. If it is so unsafe, why don't you leave? If it is safe enough for you to stay, surely it is safe enough for me to come. And if it's not safe enough for me to come, then it's not safe enough for you to stay? Can you elaborate on your reasons. Not having a go at anyone, just trying to work out their reasoning.

Regarding government advice. When terrorists bomb London, the government still claim it's safe to visit. When terrorists bomb NYC, the UK and US governments still claim it's safe to visit. When there is violence in another country, it's suddenly deemed to be unsafe. This makes no sense whatsoever.