Is Bangkok Safe?

w11guy

A question for those who say it is too unsafe to come to BKK. If it is so unsafe, why don't you leave? If it is safe enough for you to stay, surely it is safe enough for me to come. And if it's not safe enough for me to come, then it's not safe enough for you to stay? Can you elaborate on your reasons. Not having a go at anyone, just trying to work out their reasoning.

Regarding government advice. When terrorists bomb London, the government still claim it's safe to visit. When terrorists bomb NYC, the UK and US governments still claim it's safe to visit. When there is violence in another country, it's suddenly deemed to be unsafe. This makes no sense whatsoever.

not safe doesn't mean you will die as soon as you get here. it means be cautious and if you are a very careful person stay away.

thinking for yourself hasn't hurt many people that i know of.

I think I'll stay out of the UK. Didn't they have some bombs go off there targeting innocent people?

When i was growing up there was a campaign of bombing in the UK mainland by the IRA, last bombs we had were in 2005, then there was the car parked outside a club in London that was packed with explosives, diffused by the authorities, the guy who set himself on fire driving into the airport in Glasgow, that was a couple of years ago I think, if you want to go right back in time, you can still see where the Luftwaffe bombing runs changed the architecture, so yeah, we've had a few. Has your government phoned you and told you not to come? (still can't find any news source that says the UK govt. has been phoning people, they can just about manage to empty the bins never mind calling people and asking them not to go on holiday!)

Sorry. I didn't mean to pick on the UK. They did have some recent terrorist bombings in the underground and a bus, I believe. The world is becoming unsafe. The situation here (at least the political one) is localized. Outside of Bangkok, you'd never know what was going on. However, it's not a good situation.

That's ok, didn't feel picked on, I was just saying that, in spite of anything like that, life goes on and adding that I find it unlikely that the UK government (in the middle of an election campaign) would have one of it's departments find the numbers of people who had booked flights to Thailand (no mean feat in itself) and then call them and ask them not to go.

With regard to the travel insurance issue, I received this clarification from my insurance company

Thank you for contacting Insureandgo Insurance Services Ltd. Europ Assistance Holding Ltd (Underwriters) have confirmed that no cover is provided in our travel insurance policies for cancellation or curtailment in relation to the current disturbances in Thailand. In accordance with the current Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice the following exclusions to your travel insurance policy apply:

“Any claim as a result of war, civil war, invasion revolution or similar event”

“Any claim that happens as a result of civil riots, strikes or industrial action “

“Any claim that results from you travelling to a country or an area that the Foreign and Commonwealth office have advised not to go”

However, Europ Assistance Holding Ltd have now confirmed that if you choose to travel to Thailand, despite the advice of the FCO, any claims submitted for instances unrelated to the current civil unrest in Thailand will be considered, but not guaranteed, within your policy terms and conditions.

Which I take to mean, normal stuff would be covered but if you ran towards the barricades in a Norwich City shirt, you may have to pay for your own funeral :)

A question for those who say it is too unsafe to come to BKK. If it is so unsafe, why don't you leave? If it is safe enough for you to stay, surely it is safe enough for me to come. And if it's not safe enough for me to come, then it's not safe enough for you to stay? Can you elaborate on your reasons. Not having a go at anyone, just trying to work out their reasoning.

Regarding government advice. When terrorists bomb London, the government still claim it's safe to visit. When terrorists bomb NYC, the UK and US governments still claim it's safe to visit. When there is violence in another country, it's suddenly deemed to be unsafe. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, 'cause some people live here, work here, etc. It's not always a clear or even possible choice to simply bug out for a few months. The effects aren't so severe that we're frightened out of our wits or racing for the airport, but it certainly isn't normal or nice, and the more touristy sections of town are the ones most affected or likely to be afffected. London and NYC are only a small part of what most tourists see in the UK or in the US, but Bangkok has a pretty big profile for a lot of tourists.

That help out? :)

Well, 'cause some people live here, work here, etc. It's not always a clear or even possible choice to simply bug out for a few months. The effects aren't so severe that we're frightened out of our wits or racing for the airport, but it certainly isn't normal or nice, and the more touristy sections of town are the ones most affected or likely to be affected. London and NYC are only a small part of what most tourists see in the UK or in the US, but Bangkok has a pretty big profile for a lot of tourists.

That help out? :D

I have to say that London is what most tourists see in the UK and the government here did say it was safe to come here the very next day after the bombs on the trains. Personally, I was sh!t scared to go anywhere near a station, and I work on trains, so I had to! But, we don't let people terrorise us into changing our lives, we take as many reasonable precautions as we can and we make a point of getting on with our lives.

I understand what you're saying about living and working somewhere, you don't have the option of leaving till it all calms down.

It's easier for me, as a visitor, I can choose to avoid certain areas, stay in if I feel it necessary, very different if you live/work there. I know the feeling :D

I'm still coming btw :)

Your first argument is not very valid. There's a big difference in coming some place for a holiday...hardly a necessity and usually not that difficult to postpone or cancel...at most an inconvenience in most situations.

On the other hand, if you are living here (as I am), and you decide it's suddenly too unsafe, among the factors you have to consider are:

1. Will I be able to get my monetary deposits back to the US (for example)?

2. How do I get my "stuff" safely shipped to the States...especially since I don't have a state-side address?

3. How do I quickly sell my car and get a fair price?

4. Do I have to pay my rent for the remainder of the year's lease?

5. Emotionally, can I leave my Thai loved ones?

And more...just a few things off the top of my head. None of which affect the guy coming for a short vacation.

I think your second point -- which is essentially saying there's a double standard -- is a valid one. I lived in D.C. at the time of 9/11...6 miles from the Pentagon (which was attacked), 2 miles from the CIA (which was not), etc. We had some sleepless nights...which I have not had here since the Thai trouble began. I was the principal of a school in Virginia...and was given the responsibility of deciding which employee would literally risk his life to shut off the air handlers to the school (which required a long walk outside the building) so that chemical or biological agents used in an attack on the area or the huge Jewish temple next to our school wouldn't be sucked into the air exchange system and kill 1,000 students and 100 staff members. Again, I certainly don't feel that level of stress here...although the current situation in Bangkok is stressful and worrisome.

If I were a tourist, I wouldn't come now. I'd postpone. That's not to say you'll die if you come. It's just very far from the ideal time to visit.

Bangkok is safe, as long as you avoid the areas where the Red's currently are.

Ok, but which are the safe areas in Bankok? or which are the areas where the Red's currently are? and which areas they did more trouble?

thanks

cheers

j

Your first argument is not very valid. There's a big difference in coming some place for a holiday...hardly a necessity and usually not that difficult to postpone or cancel...at most an inconvenience in most situations.

On the other hand, if you are living here (as I am), and you decide it's suddenly too unsafe, among the factors you have to consider are:

2. How do I get my "stuff" safely shipped to the States...especially since I don't have a state-side address?

And more...just a few things off the top of my head. None of which affect the guy coming for a short vacation.

I think your second point -- which is essentially saying there's a double standard -- is a valid one. I lived in D.C. at the time of 9/11...6 miles from the Pentagon (which was attacked), 2 miles from the CIA (which was not), etc. We had some sleepless nights...which I have not had here since the Thai trouble began. I was the principal of a school in Virginia...and was given the responsibility of deciding which employee would literally risk his life to shut off the air handlers to the school (which required a long walk outside the building) so that chemical or biological agents used in an attack on the area or the huge Jewish temple next to our school wouldn't be sucked into the air exchange system and kill 1,000 students and 100 staff members. Again, I certainly don't feel that level of stress here...although the current situation in Bangkok is stressful and worrisome.

If I were a tourist, I wouldn't come now. I'd postpone. That's not to say you'll die if you come. It's just very far from the ideal time to visit.

I also live here and my parents are due to come to visit in the next couple of weeks but I have no hesitation in saying that it is fine for them to come. The panic merchants will always warn people off but my view is that you are no worse off visiting Thailand now than any other country. terrorism is worldwide and could hit anywhere at any time so why worry. The troubles here are localised and unlikely to escalate into full-blown civil war, though it might, then again I might get hit by a Baht Bus tomorrow crossing the road - far more likely!

By the way, I love the way you think Nos 1-4 look after your money, number 5 oh yeah the loved ones! What a sweetheart!

Edited by gmac

It seems to me that the British Government are overstating the warnings. I can't believe they are phoning people and asking them not to go, no other country is doing this.

]the fact that you are saying this makes me belive u have been in thailand too long.

I agree that if you were coming in a holiday it's a different matter, but I'm moving to BKK and have been planning it for months. I don't feel like I can put my life on hold and just wait. I could be waiting for ever. I prefer the idea of getting on with my life. I'm not planning to hang out in the red zone, so I'm sure I'll be quite safe. Well, as safe as in any other city.

A agree that it's difficult to just up and leave, but my comments were directed at some on here who seemed to say it was safe enough for them to stay but too unsafe for me to come. If it was truly unsafe, then things like paying your rent, selling your car would be secondary thoughts. But it's not that easy because I don't suppose any situation is black or white. There are different levels of risk. So maybe what I should have asked originally is How Safe Is BKK? But even that depends on an individual's perception.

Some people have told me not to go to BKK while they sit in front of me smoking. So they are doing something that will almost certainly kill them but don't see it as risky.

Taking all comments into account I have come to the conclusion that it is certainly safe enough for me to move there. Obviously things can change, but I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.

Thanks for all teh comments.

If you are a family planning a trip, my advice is don't come - especially with children. You would be putting your family in harm's way.

Another consideration is the voiding of any insurance you carry if you go to a country in political instability. All policy's specifically exclude insurrection and war. However, if you are a single person and are ready to expect airport delays; traffic jams; occasional grenades and a bit of adventure, come on over.

Bangkok is certainly safer the Detroit, LA, or Washington DC at night.

It seems to me that the British Government are overstating the warnings. I can't believe they are phoning people and asking them not to go, no other country is doing this

30 dead and 1,000 injured....suppose that could be 'overstating the warnings'. Anyone coming to Thailand now unless exceptionally needed must be crazy.....insurance policies will be void thats a certainty.

Pretty safe if you stay away from the protests, some days are scary (esp during attempted crackdowns) which are days you will probably not go to work and stay home. A few weeks ago my advice would be dont wear red, but now so many groups have come out men in black, multicolored, yellows coming soon, and even the reds have abandoned their redness, so im unsure of what i should wear but i would still avoid red just to be safe.

If you wear red however you might get a positive effect out of it. My friend (foreigner-doesnt watch a lot of news) went out of the house wearing red, the reds gave him 500 to hold a flag, once the guy that gave him the money went away he put the flag down and went back to change, he still got 500 baht though lol.

My folks are arriving in just over a week and transiting up to me in KK and to be perfectly honest the only concern I have is if the airport gets closed.

Safe is rather subjective. It depends on the threat level we are willing to live with.

Is Bangkok in general safe?

In my area, kids are playing on the street, the local weekend talat is open and everyone is going about their local routine. I am in the CBD not to far from the PM's residence.

I was just in Pratunam this afternoon, it felt safe but at the back of my mind I was aware that if the army decided to "sweep the streets" at that moment, all hel_l will break loose.

BTW, they found a car bomb in Times Square in NYC. So is NYC safe?

where there is man there will always be a risk of danger

personally and looking at all the facts, as well as coming in and out of this beautiful land of happy, smiling people for over 35 year's .

I think it is one of the safer places on earth .Stats show japan as being number 1 ( interesting as it has the highest amount of mafia per ca pita and biggest intake of certain types of drugs)

The places have their issues. You will always find area's and bunches of people, usually young men, under the influence of something looking for trouble.In desperately poor area's it's the risk of theft associated violence.

The Thai's like many in this region will jump into a fight to support their own race if they see this going as they generally automatically assume their own kind is in the right and the foreigner is in the wrong.

I have almost never seen Thai's overtly going looking for trouble like I have in the UK and other parts of Europe,south America.

The average Thai, and this is extremely subjective and general, and opinionated I find to be amongst the most pleasant people on earth . I found the same in the north of England where I was simply amazed with the hospitality shown to me by total strangers, the same in small town USA.

In both places people would go out of their way to make me feel welcome.

I love saying " good morning " and receiving a nice reply or a friendly smile.

Thailand despite all its issues thanks to not so nice people with ego ridden , self motivated agenda and not people I would call real " thai's" is still one of the nicest places filled with the nicest people.

You will have a great time here

Well i am on my way to Thailand in well about 6 and half hours. I will be staying in Bangkok for a few nights but far away from the protests. Travel insurence is valid as long as it has nothing to do with the protests. I dont feel worried at all. Greece at the moment is out of control and i didnt see any warning not to go there.

Edited by Budinga

hi ...

I have read the replies ,,, it looks like BKK is safe enough ,,, as long as you stay away from demonstrations etc , but how disrupted is "normal life" at this moment in time ?,,, I am arriving on 9th may ... I was planning to stay there 3 days, stay in kao san road (just because sukhumvit area seems to be more affected) ,specific things I want to do include go out in kao san road ( or any other area, where going out for couple of beers would be safe right now ) but also visit the grand palace one of the days ,,, even if possible would it be too much of a pain right now ,, I mean in terms of difficulty to get in and out of the area or other inconveniences ,,,

or would I be better off renting a car in the aiport driving directly to huan hin for that 3 days ,,,

If I were you I'd avoid the Patpong / Silom area, most other places are unaffected. Khan San Road is completely unaffected since they moved their demonstration downtown. I was out drinking around lower Sukhumvit last night until pretty late, everything was normal.

If you didn't already know the protests were less than a mile away you would never have known they were going on.

The advice here is very sound: Stay away from the demonstration areas and you will be fine. And remember there's more to Thailand than just Bangkok. Other areas of the country, even as close at Pattaya, are peaceful and unaffected.

Come to Thailand and enjoy a great holiday.