Thailand Extends Tourist Visa Fee Exemption Scheme Until 31 March 2011

george

This is not news - it has been announced twice before, the first time was several months back, and the second time a few weeks back. The scheme started on 1 April and was already scheduled to end on 30 March 2011. Why repeat stale news?

Gee whiz! Why did they charge me 2000 baht for my 2-month Tourist Visa at Viantiene on April 5, 2010? Could scheme and implementation be not one and the same?

I don't think it applies to visas granted in SE Asia. :D

I think people should read the announcement: it doesn't start until may 11th. :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Honey, what about Thailand for our holidays this year?"

"Isn't that a bit dangerous, I mean, aren't they on the brink of civil war?"

"Whatever darling, they are giving out free tourist visas, that we don't need anyway as we get 30 days on arrival, but are you aware how much that takes off the value of a holiday for a family of 4?"

"No darling, how much?"

"Think about it, 4 flights @ £600 each (£2,400), hotels for 3 weeks @ £40 a night (2 rooms at £40 * 21 = £1,680), food and drinks at £30 a day (£630) and then internal transport for only £700 more, so our holiday will cost £5,500 roughly. So don't you see how a visa fee waiver that we don't need COULD save us £120....that's 2% of our holiday value....sod the danger, that's a bargain!!"

"OK, I'll tell the kids"

---Yeah, right---

Maybe they could encourage some of us living here by making Visas easier.

We spend a lot of money here, although not as much as a tourist.

I get chucked out on the 10th if they don't approve my married person visa extension.

(I'm told chances are 50/50)

Edited by sarahsbloke

Luckely living in Krabi province, near the beach of Ao Nang.

Here is it still quit, the touists loving the area and hotels, restaurants are doing business as usual.

Ok, it is getting low season so we have less customers, but no army, no riot police.

To make it clear guys, Thailand is bigger than Bangkok, much bigger.

Tourist can easily make their way to lovely spots around the country where there is no political battle going on.

Let's stay positive, I agree a 2 month tourist visa for free will not bring many big spending tourist to Thailand.

But it is a start. Hopefully the TAT and the Thai Government are going to promote Thailand in a better way than free visa

and reduced costs for airliners.

Government I wish you succes in ending the political battles without any more bloodshed and wishdom to all to protect Thailand as

the well know country of smiles.

Anyone now coming to Thailand had better check their insurance policies.

Now that the governments of the UK, Australia, Canada, NZ, UAE and others have

all (officially) warned against travel to Thailand (unless absolutely essential)

it appears than many insurance policies are now VOID

and insurance companies will not payout in the event of a claim.

"Compensation will not apply if a significant change is made for reasons beyond our control. These include: war, threat of war, riots, civil disturbances, terrorist activity, industrial disputes, natural and nuclear disasters, fire, epidemics, health risks, changes due to rescheduling or cancellation of flights by an airline or alteration of the airline or aircraft type; closed or

congested airports or ports, hurricanes and other actual or potential severe weather conditions, and any other similar event."

http://www.statravel.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/uk...-conditions.htm

"We regret we cannot pay any compensation in the event of a force majeure. Force majeure includes war, threat of war, riots, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, fire or adverse weather conditions or other similar events beyond our control and that of our suppliers."

http://www.emerald.travel/terms.asp

Luckely living in Krabi province, near the beach of Ao Nang.

Here is it still quit, the touists loving the area and hotels, restaurants are doing business as usual.

Ok, it is getting low season so we have less customers, but no army, no riot police.

To make it clear guys, Thailand is bigger than Bangkok, much bigger.

Tourist can easily make their way to lovely spots around the country where there is no political battle going on.

Let's stay positive, I agree a 2 month tourist visa for free will not bring many big spending tourist to Thailand.

But it is a start. Hopefully the TAT and the Thai Government are going to promote Thailand in a better way than free visa

and reduced costs for airliners.

Government I wish you succes in ending the political battles without any more bloodshed and wishdom to all to protect Thailand as

the well know country of smiles.

Just to make sure you know. Many countries around the world have explicitly told their people NOT to come to Thailand unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I would agree that some people might make the journey out of foolhardiness, ignorance or stupidity, however the vast majority simply won't come. British Airways and Quantas have diverted their flights to either KL or Singapore for the time being. This will get to a few of the people that missed their governments warnings, newspaper headlines and the rest. Though I live in Bangkok I do understand that there is a lot more, geographically and culturally, to Thailand. If a tourist knows Thailand then this MIGHT not dissuade them, but if this is their first trip to Thailand (don't know percentages, at a guess around 60-70% first time visitors) they won't come.

The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office presently states that you should avoid ALL but ESSENTIAL travel to the following countries.

Burundi

Guinea

Haiti

Kyrgyzstan

Mauritania

Thailand

Yemen

Anybody planning on a nice beach holiday to Yemen this year?

"Honey, what about Thailand for our holidays this year?"

"Isn't that a bit dangerous, I mean, aren't they on the brink of civil war?"

"Whatever darling, they are giving out free tourist visas, that we don't need anyway as we get 30 days on arrival, but are you aware how much that takes off the value of a holiday for a family of 4?"

"No darling, how much?"

"Think about it, 4 flights @ £600 each (£2,400), hotels for 3 weeks @ £40 a night (2 rooms at £40 * 21 = £1,680), food and drinks at £30 a day (£630) and then internal transport for only £700 more, so our holiday will cost £5,500 roughly. So don't you see how a visa fee waiver that we don't need COULD save us £120....that's 2% of our holiday value....sod the danger, that's a bargain!!"

"OK, I'll tell the kids"

---Yeah, right---

Harsh but fair...

But it does hit on the obvious point that a holiday in Thailand ain't so cheap anymore - oh the goods old days are long gone! :)

This is not news - it has been announced twice before, the first time was several months back, and the second time a few weeks back. The scheme started on 1 April and was already scheduled to end on 30 March 2011. Why repeat stale news?

Gee whiz! Why did they charge me 2000 baht for my 2-month Tourist Visa at Viantiene on April 5, 2010? Could scheme and implementation be not one and the same?

Read the announcement. It doesn't start until May 11th.

So what about the two previous announcements and press releases quoting a 1 April and 30 March 2011 timespan?

Sorry, but a free visa is NOT going to encourage people to come and spend their hard-earned money in Thailand.

The only thing that will encourage them is when this country is a peaceful, true democracy.

And that will only happen when Appyshit gets his finger out of his (or someone else's) ass and decides to dissolve parliament.

A freely elected government according to the wishes of the people (all 64,000,000+ of them - not just the amart) will make this country a better place.

That's if the amart and the army can stop interfering in politics.

Sorry, but a free visa is NOT going to encourage people to come and spend their hard-earned money in Thailand.

The only thing that will encourage them is when this country is a peaceful, true democracy.

And that will only happen when Appyshit gets his finger out of his (or someone else's) ass and decides to dissolve parliament.

A freely elected government according to the wishes of the people (all 64,000,000+ of them - not just the amart) will make this country a better place.

"Freely elected" means allowing all candidates to campaign in all areas without threats to life and limb (as happened to non-red candidates in red areas) and no vote buying (which the PPP were disbanded for).

Edited by whybother

So what about the two previous announcements and press releases quoting a 1 April and 30 March 2011 timespan?

That was the wrong ministry (tourism), it is the ministry of foreign affairs that has to implement it (and interior for visa on arrival). Might be that there ws some discussion first about how to pay for it, as it means a loss of income for these ministries.

Quite correct, though posters who side with the government, being free to say whatever they want, will disagree with you. I can only voice my agreement with you, as anything more specific would be deleted. (Can't blame the mods for that though -- it's just the way speech is censored in Thailand.)

But there are plenty of other threads for that discussion.

What about the exchange rate? i cant see Thailand being popular for that reason . so many people I come across tell me they are so disappointed, because they they were expecting great value but when they get here they find similar European prices. Relate that to a potential coup that you'd only find in a third world country and there not much left to sell about the place.

other than

"come to Thailand our hoers are prettier than yours"

actually that has a great ring to it .. I must apply for a job in TAT

Edited by epicstuff

I know this has been discussed before and maybe I'm being stupid but can some expert out there please explain to me in words of one syllable. If a tourist comes here for a 2 or 3 week holiday there is no visa fee. Is that correct ? If so then the vast majority of visitors are not effected. Only the back packers who will often stay longer than a month will benefit. Almost by definition thes folk are normally on a shoestring budget so don't contribute much to the economy. Nothing wrong with that, good luck to them, but how is this action going to benefit Thai tourism

Hm,m .as a back packer on a so called 'shoe string budget' I beg to differ that I don't much contribute to the economy for the following reasons.

a. I may not spend as much on accomodation. A room full of stuff I don't really need to be content other than prehaps a/c. But I say here much, much longer than the two weeks I had to bed the boss to give me off of work, stay in many different places, and contribute to the economy of the mom and pop business, people just trying to get their kids through college

b. I don't eat every meal in the resort, but go out and eat off people selling pad thai on the street, as well as the occasional meal in a nicer place. Please see end of point a

I could go on, but I don't speak for every back packer just myself.

The economy of thailand is NOT underpinned purely by flashpackers, wheeling their LV suitcases around with sweat dripping down their faces, but by everyone, who converts their(insert your currency), into baht, and spends it amongst the thai people, not just the big "luxury tax" adding corportations/hotels/tour companys, Mcdonalds, etc.

Tuesday the British FCO have advised all Brits to avoid Thailand, (not just Bangkok) while the troubles persist.

That means travel insurances will be null and void, one thing for sure free 90 day visas are not going to bring back tourists, I think they are going to have to provide more like free insurance, emergency medical care, flack jackets and tin helmets on arrival.

These problems have been going on far to long while Abhisit and his cronies have just been pussy footing around, I see another coup soon...

Quite correct, though posters who side with the government, being free to say whatever they want, will disagree with you. I can only voice my agreement with you, as anything more specific would be deleted. (Can't blame the mods for that though -- it's just the way speech is censored in Thailand.)

But there are plenty of other threads for that discussion.

I thought the only thing that couldn't be discussed related to the monarchy.

So you are suggesting .............

I know this has been discussed before and maybe I'm being stupid but can some expert out there please explain to me in words of one syllable. If a tourist comes here for a 2 or 3 week holiday there is no visa fee. Is that correct ? If so then the vast majority of visitors are not effected. Only the back packers who will often stay longer than a month will benefit. Almost by definition thes folk are normally on a shoestring budget so don't contribute much to the economy. Nothing wrong with that, good luck to them, but how is this action going to benefit Thai tourism

Hm,m .as a back packer on a so called 'shoe string budget' I beg to differ that I don't much contribute to the economy for the following reasons.

a. I may not spend as much on accomodation. A room full of stuff I don't really need to be content other than prehaps a/c. But I say here much, much longer than the two weeks I had to bed the boss to give me off of work, stay in many different places, and contribute to the economy of the mom and pop business, people just trying to get their kids through college

b. I don't eat every meal in the resort, but go out and eat off people selling pad thai on the street, as well as the occasional meal in a nicer place. Please see end of point a

I could go on, but I don't speak for every back packer just myself.

The economy of thailand is NOT underpinned purely by flashpackers, wheeling their LV suitcases around with sweat dripping down their faces, but by everyone, who converts their(insert your currency), into baht, and spends it amongst the thai people, not just the big "luxury tax" adding corportations/hotels/tour companys, Mcdonalds, etc.

Hey Staceyjamie, I have nothing against packers and intended no criticism. Maybe I made some assumptions that I shouldn't have done. I was simply trying to evaluate the level of incentive this action will have. It has absolutely no effect on the resident expats in Thailand who will carry on spending our converted baht. From what you say you and others like you will benefit and I'm pleased for you. My point is that in terms of overall Thai tourism you are in a small minority and I can't see how Thai immigration think that it will make any difference at all.

As an expat for 15 years I'm happy to see we are more appreciated and welcomed with a free visa fee.

I remember the good old days about 10 years ago,or maybe 8 when I got 3 months "welcome" tourist stamp when entered the kingdom Of Thailand. It went from 100 baht overstay, to 200 overstay, then 500 baht, and then to make it sure it was only 15 days tourist visa crossing the border to Malaysia, where they still give you 3 months visa.

Now Thailand is close to a civil war,,,and do understand that pats and tourist are do needed to make he wheels to go around.

Thailand have always been a country where to find peace, friendly people and smiles,,,,,now this might look like to be a history,,what happens now? Why this stupid violence in this great kingdom??? What is going on??

My kids are born in the motherland Thailand,,is it now time to pull them out from their own country...

I'm confused and do not know the real situation, who does it effect who ever is the prime minister??? It is always the same story,,,very corrupt and not so corrupt.

From a person who loves Thailand.

Stone: I have been living in Thailand for 23 years and am the sole guardian (on paper by the Amphor) of a 15 year old Thai daughter. We have been looking at boarding schools as well as both of us leaving. Many problems and many coups during the years but nothing like Taksin's corruptness and nothing like this violence. I favor no side and am not politically motivated. I would like to see peace in Thailand. I think (no proof, don't know for sure) about 60 million Thai's feel the same.

Sawasdee Khrup,

Yes, why did Vientiane charge me 2k baht on the 20th. of April for a double-entry ?

The day I was there, the consul himself was down among the mob with a bunch of angry farangs, most British (judging from their accents), demanding to know why they had to pay.

The consul kept saying : "The cabinet has not notified me."

I was amazed the consul even put in an appearance. Needless to say, I did not join in the conversation, wanting not to ruin my already bedraggled "jai yen."

best, ~o:37

Do they seriously believe that will restore confidence and bring tourism (tourists) back to Thailand?

You can't extinguish a large fire with a cup of water.

What a 'brilliant' idea

TiT.

They will bring back the "cheap charlie '....

Free visa is a good thing.

Probably thousands of people will enjoy the

free visa benefits, we should not

complain about it.

The Visa fee income loss, must hurt for the Thai goverment.

Thais giving up money is a rare thing.

What about the extra Farang alcohol tax?

All drinks was supposed to be more expensive for the farangs.

I hope they will enforce that law, so we can have something

to laugh about.

:)

Wow, that might work out just right for me!

I will be retiring in the first week of October. Have to take a quick trip back to U.S. to apply for my retirement pension, and take care of some financial stuff at my bank.

Get myself a 60 day tourist visa, then off to Thailand, and later a 30 day extension in Bangkok.

Quick trip after 90 days to Cambodia (I want to check out Sihanoukville, as a possible hidey-hole if Thailand goes sour)

Another 60 day tourist visa in Cambodia, and back to Thailand. By that time my 800,000 Baht should be well "seasoned" in a Thai bank and I can apply for the retirement extension.

It might actually work out well (and no cost for either tourist visa).

I was planning on a multiple entry non O in U.K. at Hull, but maybe I won't need it.

:D

Do they seriously believe that will restore confidence and bring tourism (tourists) back to Thailand?

What a 'brilliant' idea

TiT.

Don't worry about it, at least us permanents get a free visa, thank you very much.

What a 'brilliant' idea

TiT.

A free visa is easy to implement and a positive move. As to the "fire and cup of water" rhetoric its about as stale as last Saturday-nite's skivvies. :)
I am always amazed at the number of ignorant people who are members of this site!

They have no ability to read a thread and follow it in any sensible manner....

Many of you also think it is a mark of your intelligence to bad mouth USA without having any idea of what the USA does to help people around the world.

As far as USA's effort in Africa just google the amount of money that the Bush administration initiated with efforts still continuing to provide medical care to literally MILLIONS of people living living in Africa.

And as far as Thailand is concerned not only does USA support the military financially, but also provides MILLIONS of dollars for the education, prevention and treatment of AIDS.

Is USA perfect? NO not by any means but it certainly doesnt deserve to be dragged in the mud by a bunch of uneducated farangs!

It should also be remembered that for as long as Governments advise against travel to Thailand, insurance companies will not cover them either. It is a situation similar to Colombia. That country is very beautiful, probably South America's prettiest, but it is perceived as dangerous and no insurance company will cover anybody that goes there, not that this will stop determined travellers. It is those that will still go to Thailand. However, I don't think Malaysia will benefit much since Malaysia is probably South East Asia's most boring country. I think Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam have much to gain as long as people don't transit via BKK. However, it is always possible to enter Thailand anyway at a point other than BKK. My own opinion is that these Isaan red shirts would do better to cross the Mekong to Laos and try and overturn the Communists there. That is a job that DOES need to be done.