Taxes And A New Non-b

This is slightly embarrassing, but here it goes: I recently quit my job of 4 years in the South to move up to the Big Smoke, but before I left I did not pay my taxes for last year. I took the paper to the tax office and they told me I owed an additional 4,000B, but I decided not to pay at that time but to wait for my yearly bonus. After paying all my moving expenses, key money and everything else, I didn't have enough to pay my taxes even with that bonus. In fact, I've been just barely scraping along for the last 2 weeks. My new employer here in BKK generously offered to pay half of my April wages even though I don't start work until next month, but I'm afraid I won't have enough money AGAIN if I pay my taxes before I go get my new visa in Laos next week. So I guess the question is:

Will I be able to get a new Non-B if I still haven't paid last years taxes?

I'm not trying to avoid paying my dues, it's just that money has been so very tight. I have virtually stopped drinking beer altogether (and I'm sure you can imagine what a truly amazing feat that was!), and I've been dining on street food for what seems like an eternity. Using the partial wages they give me tomorrow, I could theoretically pay my rent, get my visa and pay off my taxes but that would be the end of it. I'd have to try to borrow against my next paycheck or from a co-worker (which I may well have to do even if I don't pay the taxes!). What should I do?

Feeling stressed and oh-so-very-tired of rice... can you please help?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Daren

I haven't heard of providing tax clearance information to a Thai Embassy of Consulate when applying for a non-immigrant B.

When applying for a work permit or renewing one, the Labour Office might want to see copies of both the tax clearance receipt and the PND91 form. The same applies to extending your permission of stay at Immigration.

Tax records are not required when you apply for a Non-Imm-B abroad, but are needed when renewing a WP or extending your permit of stay in Thailand.

Be aware that your tax-ID will not change with a new WP and you'll be charged 1.5% per month for late payment of the pending taxes. If found out before you voluntarily pay your taxes there may also be a heavy fine for late payment.

opalhort