True 16mb Line Quality Not Good Enough

negreanu

16mb True Premium. router sync'ing the line at 9400kbps/612kbps. A far cry from 16mb sync with the dslam.

True says the line quality is the best it can support and that I should downgrade to 10mb/8mb premium instead. Have not done this yet. Speedtests from multiple sources show that I am indeed getting max 9400kpbs.

Now the router stats:

SNR Upstream 15db

Attenuation up 2db

SNR Down 8db

Attenuation down 9db

Any ideas....I have heard switching to a Broadcom chipset router can improve results on poor quality lines. However to me the line attenuation on the above line is ok. but the SNR is very low???

Should I invest in a Netgear DG834, Speedtouch 536, TP-Link TD 8840 or Linksys WAG160N - will these broadcom chipset routers make a difference.

replaced router with Broadcom chipset router.

Currently playing with DMT Tools to manipulate the target SNR.

Got stable connection at 13444kbps with the SNRM 12.0. perhaps some more tweaking. But think 13444kbps is probably gonna be my highest sync.

replaced router with Broadcom chipset router.

Currently playing with DMT Tools to manipulate the target SNR.

Got stable connection at 13444kbps with the SNRM 12.0. perhaps some more tweaking. But think 13444kbps is probably gonna be my highest sync.

Assuming True is using ADSL2+ for the 16.384Mb speed versus ADSL, then your attenuation and SNR and attenuation should be good enough for a 16Mb line. And keepking in mind the DSL overhead bits which take around about 15% of your usage/data speed, you would end up with a max IP speed in the 13 to 14Mb range which you are now getting.

Yeh they use adsl2+

Speeds above are not bandwidth tests but router-slam sync rates on the router page and dmt tools so should not include the 15% overhead. The sync rate should be around 15900-16300.

My line attenuation is figures are excellent but let down by the snr. Anyway can't complain 13000 I guess.

looks like the line is picking up some serious noise, as your attenuation indicates distance to the DSLAM is under 1 km, on which ADSL 2+ should easily sync at 20 Mbps or more...

How's the cabling like in your house? Maybe try hooking up your router outside the house where the phone line enters, after disconnecting everything in your house, you might get lucky!

Yeh problem is were in a old condo building on the top floor (33rd). True claim their line is fine and that it's the connection from the building line entry point to the condo on the 33rd floor is really bad apparently.

Whatever speed i manage to sync at it is always stable with no disconnects. Hard bit is getting it to sync at something decent couple of days ago it sync'd at 18422kbps down. But the aircon cleaners turned off the condo power and I have not got my UPS yet...

Not really sure what my choices are? Everything is disconnected from the additional sockets on that line and also i have tried all the sockets as not sure which is the master but all have the same results.

Could i ask the condo engineer to connect my line on a different pair of wires in the condo?

Stats this morining it's a crap shoot when i resync the DSL reference the downstream:

Downstream 12485 kbit/s

attenuation: 10.0db

SNRmargin: 12.4

Upstream: 610kbits

attenuation: 2.1db

SNRmargin: 18.0

Follow immediately by another resync giving the following.

Downstream 13131 kbit/s

attenuation: 10.0db

SNRmargin: 11.9

Upstream: 613kbits

attenuation: 2.1db

SNRmargin: 18.5

Fair play to the quality of the True 16mb Premium package tho as whatever speed I managed to sync to the DSLAM at is the speed I get on bandwidth tests almost to .10mbps to bangkok servers, international servers, Usenet downloads or Torrents. Well pleased with it.

Might ask for a new True line to be installed and order another 16mb service see if its any better if it's similar then load balance them.

Edited by negreanu

I wish you luck in squeaking out another Mb or so, but consider yourself lucky now with the 13Mb speed. Probably 90% plus of Thailand is lucky to get a 2Mb line. Heck, in my little part of western Bangkok 4Mb is pretty much the limit; and a year ago the limit was 2Mb. Give us suburb Bangkok folks another 5-10 years and we might catch up with the internet speeds available in central/high rise Bangkok where the farang need for speed is at a much higher volume. P.S. I'm jealous of the internet speed you are getting. :)

I wish you luck in squeaking out another Mb or so, but consider yourself lucky now with the 13Mb speed. Probably 90% plus of Thailand is lucky to get a 2Mb line. Heck, in my little part of western Bangkok 4Mb is pretty much the limit; and a year ago the limit was 2Mb. Give us suburb Bangkok folks another 5-10 years and we might catch up with the internet speeds available in central/high rise Bangkok where the farang need for speed is at a much higher volume. P.S. I'm jealous of the internet speed you are getting. :)

Strange that here out in Nothaburi i get 10mb too from 3bb

Unfortunately I live in the Land of TOT Captive Audience (well, I do have another choice of JASNET/JINET in my area but they are expensive and limited to 4MB since they use TOT lines/equipment). 4MB is still predominately the upper end of speed in my little area of Bangkok ruled by TOT (just down the road from you in Khet Talingchan), unless you live within 1KM of a phone central office/station then you can get 6 & 8MB packages. Now my phone line attenuation and SNR numbers indicate it should be able to handle 8MB of ADSL or 16MB of ADSL2+, but I expect the DSLAMs that TOT has installed in my area are limited to 4MB. Even on the day the TOT techs were installing my new line and I pointed out the good attenuation/SNR numbers on the line, they repeatedly said "no can do any speed higher than 4Mb unless I live within 1KM of the telephone office/station." I live a little over 2KM from the station. I do get the 4Mb speed for "in-Thailand" web sites which is more than fine for browsing and the service has been stable, but speeds to international web sites probably average around 1Mb but it does get up to around 2Mb on good days/nights. Going to a higher TOT speed/package probably wouldn't help my international speed. But their 4Mb package so far is getting the job done; I'm OK with it at 590 Baht per month.

Just a small distance in where a person lives can make all the difference in internet speed choices and speeds...and in some cases one side of a street has good internet access/choices while the other side of the street has poor internet access/choices. P.S. I'm jealous of the internet speed you are getting :)

Edited by Pib

Yeh they use adsl2+

Speeds above are not bandwidth tests but router-slam sync rates on the router page and dmt tools so should not include the 15% overhead. The sync rate should be around 15900-16300.

My line attenuation is figures are excellent but let down by the snr. Anyway can't complain 13000 I guess.

Mine are and it works well in the house (not a condo) in mid Sukhumvit. This is via my wifi LAN and it is faster again on the local cat6 LAN.

Bangkok

801599538.png

London

801602263.png

Austin, Texas

801604357.png

They use ADSL2+M here.