Please Suggest Least Expensive Airfare To Usa (any City)

Lopburi99

Anybody know of any way beyond the obvious (checking Orbitz, etc) for getting on U.S. soil for the least cost? Maybe a little known booking agent, or off-brand airline? Book far in advance? (doesn't seem to make any difference these days)? I can get to my home city without difficulty or extra cost thanks to my various friends.

Or to Canada. Maybe a cheap flight from Tokyo to Vancouver or Toronto?

Thank you.

Edited by Lopburi99

China Airlines has the best "monkey class" flights from BKK and CNX to LAX. You have to stop in Taiwan but no more than 2 hours. Book out far ahead and check different days of the week. Good luck!

22,250 THB total (about $700) to LAX on 6/30. One way. Good price I think. Their website shows a seven day window with applicable rates, very nice.

I'll check the other sites and post on those too, so others might benefit.

Edited by Lopburi99

China Airlines has the best "monkey class" flights from BKK and CNX to LAX. You have to stop in Taiwan but no more than 2 hours. Book out far ahead and check different days of the week. Good luck!

22,250 THB (about $700) to LAX on 6/30. One way. Good price I think.

Wow...great price. I booked to Las Vegas 3 months ago and paid $1100. It is usually about $200 more than LAX. I think the airlines are hurting for passengers to Thailand...June is normally high season.

This is a great price. But you can also do some searches. Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Also, here are 2 good articles:

http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2009/04...s-are-the-best/

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-frugal-way/?em

22,250 THB (about $700) to LAX on 6/30. One way. Good price I think.

Wow...great price. I booked to Las Vegas 3 months ago and paid $1100. It is usually about $200 more than LAX. I think the airlines are hurting for passengers to Thailand...June is normally high season.

This is a great price. But you can also do some searches. Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Also, here are 2 good articles:

http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2009/04...s-are-the-best/

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-frugal-way/?em

$700 one way doesn't sound like such a great price to me. I think you can do better.

22,250 THB total (about $700) to LAX on 6/30. One way. Good price I think. Their website shows a seven day window with applicable rates, very nice.

Interesting: to JFK only 24,335.

EVA Airlines

BKK to LAX

17,750 baht (approx $568)

I've flown them before, and LOVE their "Emerald Class".

China Air had about the same but it didn't include taxes.....checking to see if the EVA 17,750 is all inclusive also. (having problems with their website)

Something you might want to consider. EVA's "Emerald Class" is basically the same as other airlines "Business Class", but a WHOLE lot cheaper than B.C. of others, and only a little more than "Coach" or "Economy" of others. Trust me, the little extra it cost is more than worth it. More room, more comfort, and as far as I'm concerned, some of the best service in the industry. I've made the flight from BKK to LA half a dozen times over the past 4 years, and I've used EVA Emerald Class the last 3 times, and will always use it in the future.

Something you might want to consider. EVA's "Emerald Class" is basically the same as other airlines "Business Class", but a WHOLE lot cheaper than B.C. of others, and only a little more than "Coach" or "Economy" of others. Trust me, the little extra it cost is more than worth it. More room, more comfort, and as far as I'm concerned, some of the best service in the industry. I've made the flight from BKK to LA half a dozen times over the past 4 years, and I've used EVA Emerald Class the last 3 times, and will always use it in the future.

How have you booked EVA in the past JV? I am having trouble with the sites and my dialup is <groan> sooo slow.

How have you booked EVA in the past JV? I am having trouble with the sites and my dialup is <groan> sooo slow.

You will get a better price on EVA by using one of the local travel agents. Usually several thousand baht less than the EVA website price.

700 usd for a single journey from bkk to usa.... is expensive

you should not have to pay more than 900 usd for a roundtrip.... depending on the month....

during the most heavily travelled summer months.... round turn fare should be around 1,200 usd....

again it depends on which airline you choose to indulge yourself in....

and how much sufferings--long haul flight with up to 40 hrs getting from usa to bkk.... you are willing to endure....

if i remembered correctly, it took only about 12 hrs to fly from sfo to bkk.... with tailwind.... :)

Edited by nakachalet

You will get a better price on EVA by using one of the local travel agents. Usually several thousand baht less than the EVA website price.

AGREED! I use the web site to check availability,then go to a reputable travel agent I know to do my booking, and yes, the price usually comes out much less than the price on the web site.

As far as their different "classes", you won't find First Class. For EVA the call that "Business Class". And what is usually referred to as "Business Class" in other airlines is called "Emerald Class" for EVA. This is what I use, as it's only slight more than coach or economy of other airlines, and well worth the extra cost.

I don't know where you are, but just about any decent travel agent can get you a good deal right now with the way the situation is, so I'd be making tracks to them and forget the web site.

you should not have to pay more than 900 usd for a roundtrip.... depending on the month....

during the most heavily travelled summer months.... round turn fare should be around 1,200 usd....

and how much sufferings--long haul flight with up to 40 hrs getting from usa to bkk.... you are willing to endure....

if i remembered correctly, it took only about 12 hrs to fly from sfo to bkk.... with tailwind.... :)

Suffering no problem Naka, nor airlines. I just want to be able to afford the trip back in June, not waiting another month for another payday in July. 40 hrs? I've done 36 getting back to Detroit before with 3 stops. Grueling, but pain is soon forgotten. Took a full week for me to recover - I am not in the best of shape.

Are you suggesting I go to a travel agent or can a fare lower than the $700 be located online somewhere? Thanks Dr.

Edited by Lopburi99

Suffering no problem Naka, nor airlines. I just want to be able to afford the trip back in June, not waiting another month for another payday in July. 40 hrs? I've done 36 getting back to Detroit before with 3 stops. Grueling, but pain is soon forgotten. Took a full week for me to recover - I am not in the best of shape.

Are you suggesting I go to a travel agent or can a fare lower than the $700 be located online somewhere? Thanks Dr.

Go to your nearest agent. They will get you a better deal than the web site.

Ok, this might sound crazy, but I have done it a few times when flying to LAX..Do the amazing race and fly from another airport (out of Thailand) and it's much cheaper. Last year I flew out of Hong Kong, RT to LAX was 550 USD, and and bought an AirAsia flight to HK from BKK for 120USD..Total $670...I was looking the other day and you can fly out of Siagon to LAX RT for 610 USD ( includes tax) and again AirAsia for 90 RT in Sept 2010..Just an idea..

Today same China Air flight 21,750 total so it varies a little daily. Yes, stops at Taipei. About $680, best price so far. Trying sneary7's approach now HKK to LAX booked separately...

Today same China Air flight 21,750 total so it varies a little daily. Yes, stops at Taipei. About $680, best price so far. Trying sneary7's approach now HKK to LAX booked separately...

Are you looking for roundtrip or one way?

Some folks here are mixing up the prices between roundtrip and one-way....

I priced a BKK-LAX roundtrip trip on EVA economy earlier this week using their Hot Deals section of their website... Best price I could find direct from EVA for a mid June trip was about $1200 U.S. RT, taxes included....

Usually a one-way ticket tends to be about 60% of the price of a RT ticket... So $700 for a one-way ticket is about what you'd expect.... assuming that pricing reference above was really for a one-way trip.

Re the idea suggested above about trying to save money on a flight to the U.S.by combining a cheap Air Asia flight to another Asia city, and then an international flight onto the U.S.

I think it can work, but there are at least a couple things to be careful about...

1. the risk of a delay on the Air Asia segment making you miss your international connection. And if that were to happen, I think the passenger would get no help/recompense from either Air Asia or their international carrier.

2. the difference in luggage allocations. Air Asia pretty much has no free luggage anymore, though you can pay for check-in luggage up to a certain weight. However, on EVA for example, I get a free allocation of three check-in bags weighing 50-60 pounds each... But I'm not sure you can even pay Air Asia to cover that amount of check-luggage.

Of course, if you're traveling light, then that would not be an issue. But when I take my periodic trips back to the U.S., I tend to do a lot of catchup shopping, which definitely would cause problems for me if I was having to then connect to an Air Asia flight coming back into BKK.

I ran into a similar problem once on a U.S. flight to BKK in which I then was traveling directly on to Chiang Mai on a different carrier... I had my international luggage weight, but then faced the much lower domestic luggage allocation, and had to pay a hefty fee in two directions to cover it.

3. Visa issues... this of course can vary by country...and Americans usually have pretty good privileges for this. But I believe, for example, you need as an American to get a visa for travel to Vietnam. So depending on what country you use for the connecting flight, there may be another layer/level of visa complication.

Here's the latest on USA fares from the EVA web site...

Frankly, as a long-time customer of theirs, I don't think 31,000 baht RT tickets to the U.S. are any kind of a particularly good deal, and certainly not as low a price as they often have offered in the past.

post-53787-1272897297_thumb.jpg