Vonage In Thailand

I've read the other posting about VONAGE in Thailand but I'm too much of a novice in computers to understand all the "ports" and specifications that go along with it.

I live in Chiang Mai and have a TOT line and ADSL through them. I want to order Vonage but I have heard that it may not work here. Does anyone have Vonage working with a TOT line? If so, is there any tips that you'd suggest to make it work?

Thanks

Edited by earlofwindermere

I've read the other posting about VONAGE in Thailand but I'm too much of a novice in computers to understand all the "ports" and specifications that go along with it.

I live in Chiang Mai and have a TOT line and ADSL through them.  I want to order Vonage but I have heard that it may not work here.  Does anyone have Vonage working with a TOT line?  If so, is there any tips that you'd suggest to make it work?

Thanks

I am also a computer novice, but I am using Vonage here in BKK and it works great...I am doing it a little differently...I signed up for Vonage during a recent visit to the US and they sent me all the things needed. But instead of hooking up the line to a telephone using their modem, I paid the extra $10 for Softphone and I have a headset attached to a USB port on my computer and I just dial on the computer...Similar to Skype, but the quality is great..and have never had a connect problem... The Softphone add-on is a separate phone number and allows you 500 minutes a month in calls to the US/Canada..

Yes I am going to take the stuff I got to my office and have the IT guy hook it up and have a second line there. This is a separate number and has unlimited calls to the US/Canada..

One of my numbers is a Dallas number and friends in Dallas can dial a local number and it rings here...The Softphone number is an Okla city number and my family there can dial a local number and my SoftPhone rings...

Hope that helps

Stoneman

Thanks for sharing. I had Vonage in the office and it did not work (bandwith problem). Could you share which ISP and DSL connection you use ?

I live in Chiang Mai and have a TOT line and ADSL through them.  I want to order Vonage but I have heard that it may not work here.  Does anyone have Vonage working with a TOT line?  If so, is there any tips that you'd suggest to make it work?

Thanks

I am also a computer novice, but I am using Vonage here in BKK and it works great...I am doing it a little differently...I signed up for Vonage during a recent visit to the US and they sent me all the things needed. But instead of hooking up the line to a telephone using their modem, I paid the extra $10 for Softphone and I have a headset attached to a USB port on my computer and I just dial on the computer...Similar to Skype, but the quality is great..and have never had a connect problem... The Softphone add-on is a separate phone number and allows you 500 minutes a month in calls to the US/Canada..

Yes I am going to take the stuff I got to my office and have the IT guy hook it up and have a second line there. This is a separate number and has unlimited calls to the US/Canada..

One of my numbers is a Dallas number and friends in Dallas can dial a local number and it rings here...The Softphone number is an Okla city number and my family there can dial a local number and my SoftPhone rings...

Hope that helps

Stoneman

If the ISP blocks the needed ports, then I don't think soft phone will work either. If you can change to TT&T without too much fuss, I would order vonage and if it doesn't work, then make the switch.

vonage works great for me. JI-Net on a tt&t line. 512k shared between 10 people I believe. Speed is always 100-200k which is enough for Vonage. Keep in mind that it will not work with TSpeed as this runs through CAT and CAT doesn't want you making these cheap calls.

Thanks for sharing. I had Vonage in the office and it did not work (bandwith problem). Could you share which ISP and DSL connection you use ?

Thanks

Hope that helps

Stoneman

I am in Bangkok and I use True ADSL...No problems

Stoneman