Visas To Uk To Be Outsourced-advert In Post

In the classified section of the Bangkok Post about three days ago was an advert by the British embassy asking for tenders to run the visa service.

Not sure i would fancy some Thai outfit running the show for 48000 applications per annum. :o

Nice little earner though as the outsource firm keeps the visa fee.

The reason i stuck the thread up was that the handover is scheduled for the end of the year and so those taking a wife or girlfriend to the UK might want to amend plans and get in early while the embassy is still running the show.

The reason i stuck the thread up was that the handover is scheduled for the end of the year and so those taking a wife or girlfriend to the UK might want to amend plans and get in early while the embassy is still running the show.

That is by far the best way to go if the Oz experience is anything to go by.

Australia has been doing it like that since early this year, and it is a complete stuffup.

And the word on the street has it that there's no point tendering as the same outfit is lined up for the Brit embassy job.

Scouse.

ps Doc, I've just found the muscle button. There's no stopping me now........

What it means is that the Embassy can't be bothered dealing with all those Johnny(Joanna?) foreigners who want to come to the UK.

Now they will have a much easier life just having to cope with the Brits who lose their passport, get into fights with cops etc.....

Even more bureacracy to cope with come the end of the year I guess.

How long before the first 'tea money' visa scandal?

The embassy visa section is still going to determine all applications. It's just that they don't want the hoi (no pun intended) polloi hanging round outside the embassy. As a result, the taking-in of applications is being outsourced and an application will have to be made to the office of the contractor, rather than the embassy. The advantage with this is they may well have regional offices, so it will no longer be necessary to trudge to BKK to just lodge an application. The contractor will then pass the papers to the embassy for consideration as well as return passports, advise of interview dates etc. Basically, it puts a fence between the embassy and the public.

Scouse.

I don't quite get it - what does this mean?  Is it like an outside organisation dealing with the visa's instead of the embassy themselves?  And if so, how will that change things?

The embassy will still be the one issuing the visas. All that this is doing is adding a layer of additional bureaucracy. (Typical government dept response...)

The changes:

It will be more expensive as there will be an additional visa handling fee for the new company, in addition to the visa fee (which isn't exactly cheap).

It will take longer, as there will be probably a day either end for transferring the forms and passports from the handling centre to the embassy and vice versa. i.e. The simplest visa being granted to someone who's been to the UK previously will now take an extra 2 days.

It will be a nightmare for people outside of Bangkok, as it can no longer be a one day process. (Currently, you can join the queue at the embassy FIRST thing in the morning, apply, wait, and get a mini-interview at the counter from the ECO all in one day. And if the ECO is happy, you can get told then and there that you have your visa. If you're from outside of Bangkok, you now have to apply, maybe come into Bangkok for an interview (maybe not). If, as they say, they open regional application centres, it might be better, but only if the embassy has taken a decision to talk to far fewer applicants, as those would still be at the embassy in Bangkok.

To do this, they are either going to cause people lots of hassle, or they are going to start granting visas based solely on the paperwork, with no interview. i.e. That will either result in easier visas, or people getting rejected without even an interview because they got told they didn't need to hand in some piece of documentation. (as has happened at the Oz one where at least one person got told the documentation they had taken with them didn't need to be sent with the application, only to get a refusal because there was no supporting documentation with the application.) - Remember also, the UK embassy, like the Australian embassy, doesn't refund application fees, so if the application centre screws up, you're the one who's out of pocket.

Finally, if the Oz embassy is anything to go by, nobody will know where your passport is if you need it in a hurry. i.e. The application centre will say it's at the embassy. The embassy won't answer the phone, or if they do, won't know where your passport is, or how your application is doing, or whether they've sent it back to the application centre.

All in all, it's a bad thing..., and what's worst about it is - the UK government won't pay for this extra layer of bureaucracy, they'll charge you extra so that Thais effectively have more expensive visas than other countries.

I wish i had kept the advert safe but the wife's mother used it to clean the windows. :o Maybe someone has a copy lying around.It was in the classified paper under the tenders and contracts section.

Yes,the embassy will still be doing the actual interview,BUT it said the agency will be in charge of arranging interview dates.Way too much room for a cosy chat and a little tea money to jump up the queue.

Loads of time though to get in first and that's if they hand over on time.Hopefully delayed for ages and everyone can get away.

Edited by aletta

But surely if an independant outfit takes over, it will open the door to large scale under the table bribes ?and become easier ...

Embassy staff have to be carefull or they lose their pensions ,but this is not a worry for independant workers .