Top 5 Phone Makers

I haven't really paid any attention to phones since I have the iPhone, but things have changed rather drastically, even outside the smart phone market.

http://in.reuters.com/article/governmentFi...l=0&sp=true

January - March 2010

Total 295 Million phones sold

1 - Nokia with 109 M (pretty incredible)

2 - Samsung 64 M

3 - LG 27 M

4 - RIM (Blackberry) 10.6 M

5 - SonyEricsson 10.5 M

6 - Apple 8.8 M iPhones (also pretty incredible, a single model...)

7 - Motorola 8.5 M (I bet most of these sold in the USA on the non-GSM networks, otherwise who'd bother)

PS: Err... maybe somebody could change the headline, BB is actually #4 not #5 now...

Edited by nikster

This statistic only discuss smartphones:

1. RIM (Blackberry)

2. Apple Iphone

3. MS Win

4. Google (Android)

5. Palm

Yep,. read it another way...... people with purchasing power typically steer clear of Nokia. Been about 8 to 10 years since i had one. Bet Nokia is saying to them self "this is the future, why isnt anyone listening to us"

This statistic only discuss smartphones:

1. RIM (Blackberry)

2. Apple Iphone

3. MS Win

4. Google (Android)

5. Palm

Yep,. read it another way...... people with purchasing power typically steer clear of Nokia. Been about 8 to 10 years since i had one. Bet Nokia is saying to them self "this is the future, why isnt anyone listening to us"

Nokia totally dropped the ball - but until the iPhone they didn't really know it because nobody else had interesting smart phones either. BB started out as an email machine, caught them by surprise. Then they wanted to copy the iPhone (even said so publicly) and unsurprisingly failed. Nokia simply doesn't "get" software. So now they've been reduced to making the best cheap phones and thats something they still do well.

And if you go by another statistic, namely hits on websites, some 95% of mobile traffic comes from the iPhone (can't be bothered to google it now but this is why AT&T's networks are melting since the iPhone is out, they'd never anticipated that much traffic). Testament to the fact that only Apple managed to make a usable browser on that small a screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest statics show Android now outselling iphones with 28% vs 21%. Rim (Blackberry) still leading with 36%.

"The Android operating system (OS) continued to shake up the U.S. mobile phone market in the first quarter (Q1) of 2010, moving past Apple to take the number-two position among smartphone operating systems, according to The NPD Group, a leading market research company. NPD’s wireless market research reveals that based on unit sales to consumers last quarter the Android operating system moved into second position at 28 percent behind RIM’s OS (36 percent) and ahead of Apple’s OS (21 percent). "

Source http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/ho...amp;newsLang=en