Change Permit To Stay Based On Non O To Visa Waiver

I'm in a bit of a delicate visa situation due to uncertainty of leaving TH for extensive period or not :)

Current arrival stamp from 16APR has only a valid to date of 3May based on 1 year extension.

However there may be no time/need to extend as I may have to leave before the 30 day 'under consideration' & thus another option much more suitable is:

CHANGE (correct?) the current valid to stamp to a regular 30 day visa waiver at immigration which would bump my validity to 16MAY if allowed which would sort me out for now if only IMM may allow such an 'correction' of my last arrival stamp?

Anyone got an idea if they may allow this or already experienced/done exactly that?

Lastly I'm still confused on which immigration office to use in case needing to do new extension - office province of residence OR office in province of last extension (office which hold my extension records which is bkk as I haven't asked for any transfer if needed?)?

Thanks guys :D

This may not work for you because expiery of permit to stay is 03.05.10 but in general you can obtain a re-entry permit and leave while you are "under consideration", just make sure you are back by the date on your "under consideration" stamp.

opalhort

This may not work for you because expiery of permit to stay is 03.05.10 but in general you can obtain a re-entry permit and leave while you are "under consideration", just make sure you are back by the date on your "under consideration" stamp.

opalhort

I was able to do this plus I was allowed a 60 day "under consideratin" period by way of a request letterto immigration division stating an acceptable reason (in my case work commitment)

Hope this helps.

thanks for proposals for possible ways to make use of another 1y extension even if being away from TH shortly (and probably most of the year apart from brief visits).

but what I really am looking for is indications I may be able to change/correct/replace my current 'until 3may stamp' with a 'until 16may' based on the fact I arrived at bkk airport 16apr & thus could have been entitled to a 30 day visa waiver?

a slim 15% chance perhaps at immi HQ (reported residence of wife) or at the airport (stamp issuer) or even nonthaburi (reported & actual residence)???

CHANGE (correct?) the current valid to stamp to a regular 30 day visa waiver at immigration which would bump my validity to 16MAY if allowed which would sort me out for now if only IMM may allow such an 'correction' of my last arrival stamp?

This is certainly not possible!

Since you mention "30 days under consideration" I guess you are on a Thai wife extension of stay.

You may be able to obtain a 60 days extension of stay based on that and then get a re-entry permit.

But Imm is closed May 3 and 5 and since you left this to the last moment you may be out of luck.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

Oh 3May is labour day substitute & 5May coronation day so actually I'm a bit in luck as that means I can wait till 4May to decide how to proceed - at least if it involves an immigration office visit (visa run still possible e.g. 2 or 3rd May) :)

But NO as per original detailed & clear post what I do have now is the last few days of my 1y extension of stay & what I need is a 'temporary' visa for a week or 2 NOT a new 1y extension although it may be a last option preferable to something simpler/cheaper/less inconvenient...

Thus the '30 day under consideration' mentioned was referring to the case IF I were to apply for a new 1y ext. e.g. on 4May, which indeed seem to be my most likely choice by now for better or worse (well come 4may I may no longer have the constraint of not able to collect ext after ~30days or I could simply never collect i.e. use as 30day visa)...

So when you 'absolutely not possible' to correct the mistake of immigration or me in getting 'wrong' stamp on at airport immigration then why not?

All other sorts of mistakes, corrections would be possible why not this one? Is it e.g. because too long has lapsed since the 'mistake' i.e. ~ 2 weeks?

I'd really like to know your reasoning behind your judgement in order to fully rule that option out or not at this point? :D

Thanks appreciate any further info on this matter :D

Edited by worldfun

The way I understand your original post, you have a 1 yr extension of stay and got a re-entry permit based on that one. You used this to re-enter TH and got the correct stamp based on current extension/re-entry permit.

If this is the case Imm did not make any mistake ---> no correction possible.

opalhort

I guess you can say it like that.

So what I'm really asking then is if I can change my mind & discontinue my visa (1y ext) & instead opt for a 30 day visa waiver (backtracking)?

Of course that would be a big favor to ask immigration, but technically & theoretically I don't see why not, but practically well why should they since it's my own 'mistake' not theirs right? :D:)

But for this specific case where all I need is say another 10 days stay in LOS (of a 2y++ stay) & this actually given I arrived at the airport 16Apr should be possible only back then I wasn't sure whether 1y extension was needed or merely ~3 weeks & thus I may have made the wrong/safe choice...

Anyhow regardless what any experts may say here I'll check first hand at Chang Wattana next week, but it's always good to be prepared!

p.s. to spell out the obvious: At bkk airport immigration 16APR I present the officer with my visa number (the wrong one though so she clarify for me I should give the reentry ID not the visa ext!) BUT had I NOT given any visa on my application form I would most likely or on kind request be given the 30 day on arrival (visa waiver) instead & thus a valid to 16may instead of now 3may :D

So can I change my mind now please? :D

Edited by worldfun

"So can I change my mind now please?"

Probably not, but you can try.

A 7 day extension should be available for 1900฿ใ

If married, a 60 day extension might be possible.

A visa run for an additional 15 days, or 30 days (if through an airport).

Umm so what would be advantages in applying for only 7 or 60 day extension as opposed to the full 1 year ext?

I suppose doc req. would be less for starters & no need to bring wife along etc, but the price identical (1900bt)?

amazing thailand :)

For 60 days extension the wife has to come along. Documents almost same as one year but no financial statement required and the extension is issued on the spot whereas the one year will get you a 30 days under consideration period.

opalhort

OK IMM was open today & even banks despite the so called 'bank holiday' (labour day substitute), so I managed to do everything within the day as I got the feeling from my local (Nonthaburi) office that if I waited to tomorrow (1 day overstay) I would be out of options at least with (NON-IMM) extension!

So off to Kbank to get the 400k balance doc cert. + 2 months statement printout (~30min/100bt). Did a transaction (deposit) as well in order to get a latest update on the day :)

Then off to IMM arrived around 16:10 & walked out (finished) ~30min later (no que at all nice!) so apparently applications are accepted all the way to 16:30 office closing :D

In the end they submitted following in 2 copies all signed with blue pen/ink:

*passport pages: ID+departure card, arrival stamp+previous visa (reentry permit+visa apply/approve stamps)

*wife ID front+back

*marriage cert (ks2+3) - that was all original docs since amphur marriage ~5 years ago in bkk - no register update req. as other reported?

*kids birth cert.

-address proof (empty blue house book - no names registered just address!) - actually just look at it - don't keep/submit any copies!

*wife tabian baan (she is registered with parents house NOT above)

*application form (TM7-1 writeable word format!) + 2 older photos!

*money proof (bank balance): bank letter+2 months statement+bank book shown

*handdrawn map of/to residence

*2 photos of family: 1 outside with house number + 1 inside (brough 4, but unlike last year they only kept 2 this time)

cheers!

p.s. IMM HQ indicated 'ash cloud' delayed travelers may still be catered for (overstay not charged) for a while stay, but was asked to check at airport IMM 02-1340261!

p.p.s. the otherwise good service lady at IMM HQ (02-1419889) was not really able to understand my inquiry into 'changing' arrival stamp from 'NON-IMM' to 'visa waiver, so I say if showing up with a 'good reason' is doable!

:D

Edited by worldfun