House Mover Wanted; Not House Content Mover

selftaopath

OK, I can hear the chuckles already :-) and yea I've been called "crazy" before :-) but go ahead. Question: Are there any companies in Thailand - preferably in Isaan - that will move a two floor house? Sorry if it seems like a crazy idea, but where I come from it really isn't. :-) My thinking is why go through all the hastle etc of building if we could buy a house and move it close by to a nice, secluded parcel of land. Hope I can find a company or two.

Thanks,

Keoki

p.s. we will also be wanting someone to move the contents of our apt in BKK to Isaan.

I was doing a project in NW Iowa and watched the "House Movers" and their preperations, and these were all wood frame farmhouses. A few problems that I can see:

1) Falang homes tend to be concrete frames with masonry infill, increadibly heavy. I seriously doubt that there is a tractor/trailer rig capable of the load anywhere in Issan.

2) A concrete frame/masonry infill structure is stiff and in Thailand the masonry walls have little to no reinforcement, I would predict that if you actually could find someone to move the structure, ALL the masonry walls would have collapsed upon arrival at the new site.

3) Inasmuch as Thailand has overhead utilities (Power/telephone), the logistics of raising these lines for the passage of the house would be very time consuming.

4) Just as a guess, but when you consider the above, it would probably be cheaper and faster to just build yourself a new house.

Just my thoughts......

Edited by Diablo Bob

Just hire this: http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/cargolifter/

Dimensions:

Length260mDiameter65mTotal height82mEnvelope volume550,000m³Loading platform50 x 8 x 8m

Weights:

Basic weight260tPayloadUp to 160t

Engines:

Type8 x GE CT7-8L turboshaft

Performance:

Cruising speed90km/hRangeUp to 10,000kmPressure heightUp to 2,000mBuoyant gasNon-flammable helium

Fistly I must apologise for not knowing the answer to your question. Secondly, I would not trust a Thai company to move my content, let alone my bl@@dy house.

Ya know, I actually understand and it certainly is a noteworthy idea to think about. GEEZE :-(

I was doing a project in NW Iowa and watched the "House Movers" and their preperations, and these were all wood frame farmhouses. A few problems that I can see:

1) Falang homes tend to be concrete frames with masonry infill, increadibly heavy. I seriously doubt that there is a tractor/trailer rig capable of the load anywhere in Issan.

2) A concrete frame/masonry infill structure is stiff and in Thailand the masonry walls have little to no reinforcement, I would predict that if you actually could find someone to move the structure, ALL the masonry walls would have collapsed upon arrival at the new site.

3) Inasmuch as Thailand has overhead utilities (Power/telephone), the logistics of raising these lines for the passage of the house would be very time consuming.

4) Just as a guess, but when you consider the above, it would probably be cheaper and faster to just build yourself a new house.

Just my thoughts......

Thanks. The house in question is a Thai house mostly of wood. It seems like the Thai way is to take it apart, and rebuild it in another location. Sadly this doesn't always work very well.

Just hire this: http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/cargolifter/

Dimensions:

Length260mDiameter65mTotal height82mEnvelope volume550,000m³Loading platform50 x 8 x 8m

Weights:

Basic weight260tPayloadUp to 160t

Engines:

Type8 x GE CT7-8L turboshaft

Performance:

Cruising speed90km/hRangeUp to 10,000kmPressure heightUp to 2,000mBuoyant gasNon-flammable helium

Great idea but would probably cost more than it would to build a new house :-) But I like the idea. I'm still thinking crane and flatbed truck. :-)

Look around Bangkok and find some of the folks who build traditional Thai houses. They are the experts. Ask them if it is feasible. It it's a teak house .. and you like to tinker .. consider getting a good planer and turn it into a beauty.

Another option, albeit quite expensive, take a drive up to Denchai (Phrae) and see if the guy is still producing knock-down teak buildings. Right on the main road in the "furniture" village.

Great idea but would probably cost more than it would to build a new house :-) But I like the idea. I'm still thinking crane and flatbed truck. :-)

you seem to be talking about a shack, not a house :)

you seem to be talking about a shack, not a house :)

Well depending on one's perspective I guess the two story wood house in Isaan could be "somebody's" shack. Seems big enough though, and has windows and shutters, doors, bathroom, kitchen area, and a roof. Don't know.