Thoughts On Fish Massage?

Grawburg

At least 14 states, including Texas and Florida, have outlawed them.

http://bit.ly/diYD9G

Proponents say fish pedicures are safe if the water is kept clean. "It is so out of the ordinary that the first reaction is to say 'no,' " says Kevin Miller, executive director of the Ohio Board of Cosmetology.
I am sure the general standard of cleaning the water here is LOW.

A fish spa opened where I live. There were 1000+ fish in each tank but they seem to die as quick as they were replaced. The shop lasted 2 months and was gone.

I tried it , sure, the fish eat dead skin on the feet but no where near as much as a good session in a beauty salon :) As for the prices, the shop I went to was charging 150 baht for 15 minutes, 200 for half an hour, and 300 for an hour. In my opinion it's a fad that will go away from Thailand as quick as it came.

I like to stick my feet into my pond and have the fish nibble my feet. They don't remove any skin like the ones in the "massage" tanks but it's very relaxing none the less.

It's worth doing once, go with a 'date', you'll laugh a lot.

I wouldn't take the U.S. state bans seriously, the government sticking its feet where they don't belong, as usual :D

Am sure the Japanese have fully immersed a few bikini-clad beauties just to see what happens, still looking for the clip :)

I have to say that I thought it was just a ridiculous fad and laughed when my missus told me she was going. She had quite a bit of hard skin on her feet making them feel quite rough, but came out half an hour later with lovely smooth skin... I was surprised to say the least and thought the effect would maybe just last a day or two (being an eternal cynic!), but in reality it lasted a week or two before getting rough again. She was really pleased and it was much nicer when she kicked me!

Anyway, she doesn't want to go again as rumours through her friends about dirt and diseases are putting her off - fair enough really, I don't fancy putting my feet into water that has been used by lots of people with feet that needed nibbling!

I tried this at the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai purely for the novelty aspect. Baht 150 for 15 minutes. The water was clean, but 2 other people had used the tank just before me, so even though the tank looked very clean I do wonder about the sanitary aspect of "Spa Pla".

At first the dozens of little fish nibbling at my feet tickled alot, but after a few minutes I got used to it and the novelty sensation wore off. Try it for 15 minutes, get your picture taken with the fish all over your feet, then that's it. When the 15 minutes were over, my feet didn't look or feel any different than before the Spa Pla. I won't do it again, mostly due to the cost. But I definitely recommend it once (15 minutes is enough) simply for the novelty aspect of the experience.

I have to say that I thought it was just a ridiculous fad and laughed when my missus told me she was going. She had quite a bit of hard skin on her feet making them feel quite rough, but came out half an hour later with lovely smooth skin... I was surprised to say the least and thought the effect would maybe just last a day or two (being an eternal cynic!), but in reality it lasted a week or two before getting rough again. She was really pleased and it was much nicer when she kicked me!

Anyway, she doesn't want to go again as rumours through her friends about dirt and diseases are putting her off - fair enough really, I don't fancy putting my feet into water that has been used by lots of people with feet that needed nibbling!

Have you considered the results may have just been from soaking her feet and not due to the fish? I'm not being sarcastic but assume unless she goes swimming, or crosses a soi in the rainy season (ok, that a joke), that her body cleaning never includes a bath but only a shower. If she she continues to have the hard skin problem have her check out a beauty supply store (or somewhere) for something she can add to a bucket (or foot bath tub) of water to soak her feet every now and then.

Although it is only feet and lower legs ... would you take a bath in the same water numerous other people have bathed in? Because skin on the feet is often dry, it is not uncommon for cracks (cuts) to develop. So, it might not be the best idea to put your feet in 5th hand bath water with fish poo. Probably no big deal but mentally doesn't sound wise.

It's worth doing once, go with a 'date', you'll laugh a lot.

I wouldn't take the U.S. state bans seriously, the government sticking its feet where they don't belong, as usual :D

Am sure the Japanese have fully immersed a few bikini-clad beauties just to see what happens, still looking for the clip :)

These tanks of fish are a complete con. There are 2 types of fish used, One variety basically sucks at your feet another one nibbles. The fish originally came from Turkey.

It never ceases to amaze me the condition of some "Fallang" feet that I see on display with horrendoues toe nail fungus and the very thought of putting my feet in the same water disgusts me. There could be several reasons why the fish die. Poor maintenance of pumps and filters. Poisonous foot fungus and the owner not giving 1,000 fish per tank enough "proper" food to survive. They cannot survive on dead skin alone !!!

I fail to see what is ammusing about 1,000's of fish dying - "You'll laugh a lot" - I suspect you laugh at itching powder, exploding cigars and telescopes with ink on the eye piece......

Edited by lonewolf99