Watching Bbc Iplayer On Normal T.v

mervyn

I am able to download BBC programmes using iplayer desktop and later to watch them on my computer using a VPN.I would like to be able to watch them on my normal T.V.

I wonder whether anyone has experience of this.My first thought was to convert either the HDMI or VGA output of my graphics card to AV and then use a modulator to send the signal to the T.V's in the house.After a search of Tukcom Pattaya the only device I could find was a VGA to video converter and I would also need a break out box for the VGA connector to avoid disconnecting my computer monitor every time.This seemed a bit messy so I considered further methods of handling the problem.The BBC website says a portable media player can be used to play the iplayer programmes and lists the devces that are compatable.Possibly these media players are unavailable locally in Thailand.I discovered a computer programme on the internet which will remove the DRAM protection on the iplayer files and convert them to other formats.

I wonder has anybody been successfull in doing this and can they recomend a suitable portable media player.

I would be grateful for any suggestions

If you have a graphics card in your computer with an SVGA outlet you can connect it to you televison and wathc it.

Or, you can convert the file to mpeg and put on a memory stick, plug it into your DVD player or television if it has aUSB port.

Or, burn the file onto a DVD as a movie and play

Or, if your dvd player is like mine it will read data files and play it without converting to a movie.

If you have a graphics card in your computer with an SVGA outlet you can connect it to you televison and wathc it.

Or, you can convert the file to mpeg and put on a memory stick, plug it into your DVD player or television if it has aUSB port.

Or, burn the file onto a DVD as a movie and play

Or, if your dvd player is like mine it will read data files and play it without converting to a movie.

or if you have the lastest Asus notebooks or desktops, simply run an HDMI/DVi cable to your TV, which is what I do.

or use tversity to stream to your media tank (most models work) and watch it on the TV, the old way I used to do it.

I used to plug a laptop into my TV. iPlayer worked fine through a VPN, but I could never get ITV and Channel 4 to work, so I dumped it all in favour of downloading the torrents. And no DRM. I now have a 5,000 baht media player from Western digital with a remote control and 2 USB ports to plug in hard drives or flash drives. Works brilliantly and it plays HD content perfectly, something my laptop could never do well.

thebox.biz and uknova has it all and very fast downloads. It takes me about 20 minutes to download an hour of video.

I now have a 5,000 baht media player from Western digital with a remote control and 2 USB ports to plug in hard drives or flash drives. .

And this is a media tank (one of many) like I spoke of in the previous post. Add tversity to it and you are back to streaming iplayer to the TV..

I just plug into PC in on my 42"tv. from a port on my laptop which looks like a hdmi socket. Match screen to computer ie what size on my tv matches the laptop..Then for sound run a line from the head phone socket on the laptop to my tv....Sorry I'am not a computer wizard but this works fine for me. I use hide-ipng which works the best that i have found...Good luck

Thanks guys for all yr comments.My DVD players do not have USB slots so I will look and see what is available.The Western Digital portable media player sounds interesting.Is it available in Pattaya?

Many notebooks have s-video output and that is probably supported by your TV

LCD and Plasma TVs have a VGA socket, so just connect the TV as a monitor for your PC.

I'm currently using a Playstation3 to watch my live TV/BBC/Hulu stream etc. Natively it does not support such media, but using a program called TVersity on my PC, i can pull these streams in and transcode them on the fly. PS2Mediaserver also does pretty much the same thing...

failing that, buy a cheapo netbook (something like an asus 1000h) and plug that into the TV - works real well

After reading this thread I downloaded the iplayer but just get a message "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you"

How can I get BBC TV in Thailand?

programs I download from Rapidshare I watch from my computer using a HDMI cable from my graphics card

Edited by wobblyjohn

• 4 months later...

I have just moved to Thailand and I am looking at buying a TV. The new Samsung series 7 & 8 sets are internet wifi enabled. Any ideas if you can stream directly into the TV as I cannot get a sensible/beliveable answer from the shop and the website does not help a lot!

I have got a UK VPN setup already but not sure if it would feed one of the sets directly and save a lot of messing around!

• 4 weeks later...

It's a shame that, even though I am still paying £145 for my TV license in the UK for the month one of the year I spend there, I cannot access BBC's iPlayer abroad or listen to any BBC radio programs, such as live football commentary in English, either.

It would be nice to be able to use iPlayer on my PS3 here in Thailand and just enter my TV license details, wouldn't be difficult at all but it will never ever happen. I know a way to work around with a VPN but it's really not worth the hassle of changing my connection settings each time I want to watch iPlayer, and then back again to get my PS3 online.

I recently bought an LCD TV for the specific purpose of watching downloaded TV programs and it works just fine plugging a 500GB hard drive directly into the TV USB port. They told me in the shop when I bought the TV that this would work on any Samsung TV of Series 5 or above, not sure about other makes as it was Samsung that I was interested in.

It's a shame that, even though I am still paying £145 for my TV license in the UK for the month one of the year I spend there, I cannot access BBC's iPlayer abroad or listen to any BBC radio programs, such as live football commentary in English, either.

It would be nice to be able to use iPlayer on my PS3 here in Thailand and just enter my TV license details, wouldn't be difficult at all but it will never ever happen. I know a way to work around with a VPN but it's really not worth the hassle of changing my connection settings each time I want to watch iPlayer, and then back again to get my PS3 online.

Have you tried TVCatchUp via a Proxy?

Connect a second router to your network with a custom software VPN and route the VPN required devices to that units wireless/wired connection and the rest of the devices to the non vpn router. Google StrongVPN sabai technology.

The new Mac Mini makes a FANTASTIC Media player for your tv.

I went down this route for awhile but VPN speeds are so erratic to europe (Even without the VPN they are erratic.) I resorted to Apple TV, The Box torrents site and Usenet.

Apple TV has most things i want to watch ($0.99 rental tv shows) and run the Box usenet downloads through handbrake and stream / copy to Apple TV.

After reading this thread I downloaded the iplayer but just get a message "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you"

How can I get BBC TV in Thailand?

programs I download from Rapidshare I watch from my computer using a HDMI cable from my graphics card

Google "myp2pforum" - in their LiveTV section, they have a link for something called "BBC Worldwide player". it uses Tor and Privoxy to allow you to watch any BBC iPlayer content (both live and archived) on your pc from anywhere in the world. F1 looks great on it. :)

Turning the VPN on or off, is just a click of an icon on the desktop!!

Turning the VPN on or off, is just a click of an icon on the desktop!!

I would have thought that I would need to change the PS3's network settings to connect to the VPN via the laptop when I wanted to use iPlayer, and then back to my router settings to use PSN like usual.

Anyways, I'm more than happy with my current setup of downloading the TV and movies I want to watch every day and streaming to the PS3, it just would be nice to be able to use iPlayer seeing as I am technically paying for it already.