Enhanced Truevision

mallyrd

On the 1st May Truevision implemented an upgrade to some of their channels by broadcasting in High Definition.

Has anyone noticed improvements on any of the channels. :)

You'd need an HD TV to be able to see the difference, wouldn't you? I certainly don't have one.

Wow! Seems like you got out of bed on the wrong side morning. :)

You'd need an HD TV to be able to see the difference, wouldn't you? I certainly don't have one.

Hi that is correct you need both a HD TV & an HD Receiver. Had it Europe and it is very good but not cheap!

:)

I would expect the wait for quality programmes to be much longer than the wait for Hi-Def. I personally find most content unwatchable in the current format. A cleaner picture wont improve the content and certainly won't justify the additional cost outlay.

Got that, but you also need a HD box - had asked them early April but nothing in sight yet

Just on top of your head, do you know about how much they will ask for that (I'm sure it won't be free)?

They will take back your old box, you have to pay an extra 2,000 Baht deposit for the HD box, and you have to pay an extra 290 Baht/month (if you currently have a Platinum subscription) or an extra 490 Baht (for Gold subscribers).

You will only get 2 channels in the high quality (1 sports channel and HBO movies), all the other channels will remain just as bad as they are today :)

Got that, but you also need a HD box - had asked them early April but nothing in sight yet

Just on top of your head, do you know about how much they will ask for that (I'm sure it won't be free)?

They will take back your old box, you have to pay an extra 2,000 Baht deposit for the HD box, and you have to pay an extra 290 Baht/month (if you currently have a Platinum subscription) or an extra 490 Baht (for Gold subscribers).

You will only get 2 channels in the high quality (1 sports channel and HBO movies), all the other channels will remain just as bad as they are today :)

Thanks Monty!

I think that I will pass then... Certainly not worth it for sport channel that I never watch and old B movies on another channel that I also never watch. I'd rather spend that money on the occasional Blu-ray disc.

HD in Canada has been around for at least 5 years. When we first got it, it was only on a couple channels as well, Discovery and PBS if I remember. For those of you who have not experienced it, all I can say is WOW!

Every time I switched to an HD channel the WOW factor was always there, especially on nature programs and anything with close ups.

Not saying I will be fronting up at True to shell out those extra baht at this stage, but maybe in the future.......

Anyone here have any experience with True Satellite Tv ? How much is the rain/cloud effecting the signal ? Will there be times that you can watch TV for a long time ?

Anyone tried the HD package and what is your impression ?

Right now I have cable TV and that is of course always available no matter the weather conditions, would it be worth changing since its not possible to get HD through the cable.

Edited by mads

Anyone here have any experience with True Satellite Tv ? How much is the rain/cloud effecting the signal ? Will there be times that you can watch TV for a long time ?

Right now I have cable TV and that is of course always available no matter the weather conditions, would it be worth changing since its not possible to get HD through the cable.

First, if its only 2 channels they can stick it where the sun don't shine :) programs are generally bad except discovery,NG, History - have the satellite version and when it starts raining the signal goes for about 10 minutes - dishes are too small - always great during the rainy season -

Basically True is overpriced and low quality - something that can only exist in a near monopoly situation

Examples - they are showing beyond programs on discovery that are 10 years old - the worse thing they did was to remove BBC entertainment and replaced it with this real crap US channel AXN B

If there was a rea alternative I would switch instantly !

I have a 42" flat screen HD etc etc .... the picture quality with True is well ... OK on some channels and crap on others - one certainly notices the difference when watching a normal DVD but when watching a blue-ray - wow

• 3 weeks later...

Got True HD - picture quality on the 2 HD channels is excellent, watched the French open yesterday - fantastic - same with HBO IF there is a decent movie on

True said, as soon as more people sign up, they will increase HD channel number. Cost is THB 2,000.00 for the Decoder and 280 or so Thai baht per month which will include additional channels as they come on line.

The Decoder however also delivers better picture quality on other non HD channels and comes with a HD cable allowing for more services and easier use if you TV has those features,

Not bad, would love to see Discovery and NGC in HD soon

Why not use the forum to try and have a bit of influence over True TV ?

Example, everybody who would be interested in HD if more channels would be added - state which channels you would like to see to shell out the extra money

I know, true TV is overpriced and mostly a crap monopoly, but it beats the day's a long time ago when you had to wait until Friday 11pm for the "Big Movie" and get the soundtrack via your radio - there was nothing else besides REAL crappy Thai soap operas or bad Chinese movies

The best way to convince to get more HD channels is to subscribe to what they offer today, if noone takes them up on it, they could well think there is no demand for it. They are only going to listen to cash. So pony up now and we'll get some moe channels, its well worth it for the world cup alone!

The best way to convince to get more HD channels is to subscribe to what they offer today, if noone takes them up on it, they could well think there is no demand for it. They are only going to listen to cash. So pony up now and we'll get some moe channels, its well worth it for the world cup alone!

and for the French open as well as Wimbledon next month - Williams Bottom in HD :)