Doing Visa Run Vientiene Sunday 9th

thailandbluegrass

Hi. I am going to Vientiene next Sunday the 9th or could possibly go on the 8th if anyone is interested in Joining me? I was going to take the bus to Udon Thani then to the border etc but I have a truck and if anyone wants to split the gas costs and we could drive at our own pace please email me.

Even if you are going but want to use the bus, taxi, tuk tuk system maybe we could even split the cost of the taxis and tuk tuks? Could even split the cost of a room.

Also does anyone know of a room near the Thai Consulate in Vientiene that is on the cheap side?

By the way, I estimate gas in my Toyota Vigo Truck one way to be about 1600 baht. That is the price of the bus ticket to Udon and back.

Just in case noone wants to join I'm sure this has been posted to death but what are your best experiences doing this run from Chiang Mia? I mean do you reccomend Chai Tour company bus etc?

From what I understand you get the bus from Arcade to udon, approx 10 hours (leaving at 8:00pm) then take a local bus to the friendship bridge, then a tuk tuk or taxi to the Thai Consulant and should be there around 9:00. RIGHT?

Edited by thailandbluegrass

I might join you as i delayed my trip cause of the free visas dont start giving out till the 10th so I might ds a Mai Sai trip as I have to be out on the 6th and then do the Vietienne trip

I have drove several times bout 9 half hours straight and not difficult I did it in my Grandis and the fuel was 4500 baht but it not as good on fuel as a vigo.

I should know in the next day or so what exactly I am doing but i think that sounds good I know for sure I wont be taking a bus after seeing how they drive

The free visas have begun already. I just did the Maesai trip on the 25th of April and it was free already. Vientiene has already confirmed that they are doing the visa free now too.

The government has already told ALL borders that they cannot use the excuse " sorry we havn't got that notification yet". lol

The free visas have begun already. I just did the Maesai trip on the 25th of April and it was free already. Vientiene has already confirmed that they are doing the visa free now too.

The government has already told ALL borders that they cannot use the excuse " sorry we havn't got that notification yet". lol

Not sure I understand

Mai Sai does not issue visas whats the relevance

Just checked the Visa forums and all official indications tourist visas are not free until May 11th 2010

Edited by FarangCravings

Also does anyone know of a room near the Thai Consulate in Vientiene that is on the cheap side?

Try the La-Ong Dao hotel not sure how much but very basic rooms,about 5 mins walk from the conulate.Come out of the hotel turn left about 400m walk and take 2nd turn on the right,should be able to see the Thai flag from the main road.

Be warned it has a few ladies of the night that operate from the back of the hotel if thats a plus or minus for you. :)

Be warned it has a few ladies of the night that operate from the back of the hotel if thats a plus or minus for you. :)

Could be fun if they're sharing a room!

Just have draw straws for who goes first,or start a tag team.

Not sure I understand

Any takers?

Not sure I understand

Any takers?

Sorry, my bad. I have not had to do these silly visa runs or border crossings for years. I was just assuming that when I went to mae sai that they would charge me 1950 baht to get back into Thailand and was happy that they did not so I thought it was free visa time again. lol. was juspizzed that i didnt know that when I was still on the Mayanmar side in the market or I could have spent more money.

Sorry folks but I DID call the immigration in Vientiene and they even have a "press 9 for English" and they said they are free now but as we all know in Thailand even if you see or hear something with your own ears/eyes DON'T BELIEVE IT !!!!!

banjo-playing-smile.gif

I was thinking of taking the bus on the 10th, Monday night, that would put me there on the 11th, which should be when the free visas start.

cr

I am renting a car with Bluegrass and another member is your interested we have one more seat it will be real cheap between all of us

Pm me