Gymkhanna Club

eek

A friend of mine who is a keen golfer may be coming up from Bangkok for a visit soon and has promised me a golf lesson.

I have a set of clubs on loan, but would be better if i could just hire if possible, as I would prefer just to take us on my motorbike.

Gymkhanna seems pretty handy, so i wonder if someone could give me more info..such as:

-Fee for using the driving range (non-members)

-Fee for club hire (if possible)

--

Any other tips/info?

Any place you would recommend more?

Thanks so much.

(Oh..and this may sound like a silly question..but ive never been golfing before.. are driving ranges outside or inside?)

This place is great for novices.

A round with club hire is around 400B I think, although thats only 9 holes, if my memory serves me it includes a caddy..although you will be expected to tip them a couple of hundred minmum.

Driving range is about 100b for a bucket of balls.

Fore!!!

The driving range on Mahidol Road near Airport Plaza will have clubs for rent, quite convenient.

In my opinion the Gymkhana Club is better in that you can hit your balls off the grass. Once you have done that you can relax under the big tree with a cool drink.

Yeh Blinky, I liked that idea at Gymkhanna. I went there for the cricket and its a nice relaxing location. I want my friend to feel relaxed and easy. Hes a serious golf player, but im completely novice! Gymkhanna fits the bill because if he gets frustrated with me there are plenty of places to chill out! :)

Other recommendations that people have, i will likely check out on my own for practice, once i get a couple of lessons.

Oh, is the driving range shaded in anyway?

Hi

Here is the phone # of Gymkhana: 0 5324 1035

So you can ask everything

Practice ball bucket 40 balls = 25 THB

Best place in Chiang Mai to relax under the tree.

Enjoy

Eek, if you haven't been to Gymkhana, the tree and the surrounding area is really something to see. I think that your friend would be impressed.

I did take a quick visit for the cricket ventura, but didnt have time to stroll around and admire the area.

Im looking forward to seeing more of it, particularly the tree.

Thanks all for your help. :)

I did take a quick visit for the cricket ventura, but didnt have time to stroll around and admire the area.

Im looking forward to seeing more of it, particularly the tree.

Thanks all for your help. :)

The club does have some quaint colonial history. Formed in 1898 it is the oldest sports club in Thailand.

The tree that you refer to is reputed to be nearly 200 years old.

The golf course is not suitable for serious golfers. The greens and fairways are like concrete which is not conducive for good golf.

Im an absolute beginner Thaihog, so im guessing ok for me. Likely not ok for my friend, but hes really just helping me out, so should be ok.

Have any good recommendations of places to go to once i get the basics?

Cheers.

Please clarify "getting the basics." No, that is not a fair question of a novice golfer - I retract.

Perhaps you'd like to hold the question of where to play until you've come to grips with golf to your own satisfaction, as it is a bit complex.

I add a few (borrowed) rules of the game by way of explanation. They point out that the best way to approach golf is with great determination, intense tenacity, a massive sense of humor, and an equal amount of money. Also, improvement takes practice and time.

* The game of golf is 90% mental and 10% mental.

* If you want to get better at golf, go back and take it up at a much earlier age.

* Since bad shots come in groups of three, a fourth bad shot is actually the beginning of the next group of three.

* When you look up and cause an awful shot, you will always look down again at exactly the moment when you ought to start watching the ball if you ever want to see it again.

* Any change works for a maximum of three holes and a minimum of not at all.

* No matter how bad you are playing, it is always possible to play worse

* Never keep more than 300 separate thoughts in your mind during your swing.

* When your shot has to carry over a water hazard, you should be sure to have a dozen balls at your disposal before beginning to try.

Most practice "driving ranges" are out of doors, often with a little covered booth for each golfer. You'll find pictures of some that have several stories! I agree with Thaihog when he points out, Gxxx... is ok for beginners, perhaps, but it is unlike most courses in maintenance and conditioning. On the other hand, in high season, the better courses cost a LOT to play, some 10x as much.

Edited by CMX

Im an absolute beginner Thaihog, so im guessing ok for me. Likely not ok for my friend, but hes really just helping me out, so should be ok.

Have any good recommendations of places to go to once i get the basics?

Cheers.

Try ChiangmaiGolfCourses with a .com for more info.

Gymkhana is rock hard at the moment, if you take a divot could be quite dangerous-be careful. Fine after the rains come, and not particularly easy with many trees coming in to play.

eek,

Sorry, I meant to add this:

The "bargain" course of fair-good quality is doubtless Hang Dong, south on Canal. You can Google it with some success. It might be as good for your first outing(s) or your subsequent play. For another site's take on courses (so far as I can make out), try to Google an independent site for golf in Chiang Mai. Your friend might find the site useful too, though it is not altogether up-to-date on the season's bargains (phone). Incidentally, Hang Dong (I have no relationship to the course except one of the usual frustration) rents clubs.

Finally, if you ever have need to define infinite to anyone, it is easy to refer them to the degree of frustration available on the links, once you've been accustomed to the game. Best of luck,

• 5 weeks later...

Gymkhana also has tennis courts and squash - great club for relaxing - if you join and don't use the caddy it is FREE and very cost-effective (50,000 one off fee and 700 a month). I love it there and that tree - it really is special - sitting on the verandha gives one the impression you are in colonial India.

Played there this last week, fairways improved with the little rain we have had and the work they are doing.

Do use a caddy though, there are around 80 of them and most are lucky to get out twice a week due to the lack of players.

Played there this last week, fairways improved with the little rain we have had and the work they are doing.

Do use a caddy though, there are around 80 of them and most are lucky to get out twice a week due to the lack of players.

Hi - funny you should mention this as I was thinking of NOT using them - it's not the fee but I'm pressured into giving a 200 tip if I play 18 plus the fee - do you pay this or just pay what you think? I'm told the Thais hardly use them and don't pay this much?

Gymkhana is one of the very few places in thailand where you don't need a caddy, at least for members that is. As for tipping, 200 baht seems to be the benchmark tip, and to give less to the caddy seems wrong to me. If one cannot afford this tip, play a different sport!

It's probably the best place in chiang mai to play when you consider the low price for playing a round. However chiang mai has several excellent and beautiful courses, mae jo, highlands, royal for example. This month the green fee is just 800 baht at all of them.

Eek, if you find you might want to take the game up, then kitty is a thai chap who teaches golf out of the star dome driving range, on the second floor. His english is fluent, and his teaching skills saved me from giving the game up. He gave me my swing over four weeks of lessons or so, and he does not take the piss with his fees, unlike any farang teaching the game. He's also a very nice person.

One other thing, try the san sai course on the mae jo road shortly after the inner ring road intersection, on the left. It's very cheap, i think less than 200 baht for 18 holes, no caddy needed, and just excellent for those beginning the game. Nine holes, one of them a par 4, all the others are par 3s. It has a driving range too.

Enjoy the game.

Gymkhana is one of the very few places in thailand where you don't need a caddy, at least for members that is. As for tipping, 200 baht seems to be the benchmark tip, and to give less to the caddy seems wrong to me. If one cannot afford this tip, play a different sport!

It's probably the best place in chiang mai to play when you consider the low price for playing a round. However chiang mai has several excellent and beautiful courses, mae jo, highlands, royal for example. This month the green fee is just 800 baht at all of them.

Eek, if you find you might want to take the game up, then kitty is a thai chap who teaches golf out of the star dome driving range, on the second floor. His english is fluent, and his teaching skills saved me from giving the game up. He gave me my swing over four weeks of lessons or so, and he does not take the piss with his fees, unlike any farang teaching the game. He's also a very nice person.

One other thing, try the san sai course on the mae jo road shortly after the inner ring road intersection, on the left. It's very cheap, i think less than 200 baht for 18 holes, no caddy needed, and just excellent for those beginning the game. Nine holes, one of them a par 4, all the others are par 3s. It has a driving range too.

Enjoy the game.

It's not that I cannot afford the tip but it is a TIP - it would be better to increase the fee if they are underpaid and they lose out because many members won't use them because they feel pressured to pay this tip - I don't think the other courses do this - the fee is what it is and you tip what you want - that's not just my view. Apart from that I love Gymkhana :)

Hi - funny you should mention this as I was thinking of NOT using them - it's not the fee but I'm pressured into giving a 200 tip if I play 18 plus the fee - do you pay this or just pay what you think? I'm told the Thais hardly use them and don't pay this much?

Personally I don't find it a problem paying 200 baht for a caddy to lug my clubs around and find the balls that I slice or hook-many! The biggest problem is the local members who do not have to have a caddy usually play in 5's or 6's and have to search for their own balls-time consuming. But Gymkhana being set up the way it is not too difficult to jump between holes to avoid the occasional rot tit. :)

Personally I don't find it a problem paying 200 baht for a caddy to lug my clubs around and find the balls that I slice or hook-many! The biggest problem is the local members who do not have to have a caddy usually play in 5's or 6's and have to search for their own balls-time consuming. But Gymkhana being set up the way it is not too difficult to jump between holes to avoid the occasional rot tit. :D

I have no problem paying 200 either - but then it's ANOTHER 200 tip so 400 :) that's my point

Personally I don't find it a problem paying 200 baht for a caddy to lug my clubs around and find the balls that I slice or hook-many! The biggest problem is the local members who do not have to have a caddy usually play in 5's or 6's and have to search for their own balls-time consuming. But Gymkhana being set up the way it is not too difficult to jump between holes to avoid the occasional rot tit. :D

I have no problem paying 200 either - but then it's ANOTHER 200 tip so 400 :) that's my point

Because of my great age I pay a total of 550 including tip, very fair for a few hours entertainment.

Don't all the courses have a green fee+ caddy fee- with an optional tip (What you think is fair) I don't think there is an obligation to pay a tip on any of them. Don't think you would have a very good rep if you didn't cough up a few ฿ though. :D

Currently with the top courses 800 green fee, 220,caddy fee + the tip. 1220 ฿ for a round at a top class venue-not too bad!

Regards finding a decent local teaching pro...I have used both Khun Kitti at Stardome and Khun Gai at San Sai (now known as Golf Avenue). Of the two men, Gai was the much better teacher. His fees were also far less and he works with you until you are satisfied....for the price he originally charges you...even if that takes additional lessons above and beyond the norm. He has some other pros working with him who are excellent players but IMHO they are not as good at teaching golf...as this requires immense patience and empathy. I was ready to quit the game until Gai turned me around. That was less than a year ago and I am now playing to a 13 handicap index and closing in fast on a sub-80 game.

Regards Gymkhana...I agree with earlier posters...it is a low cost practice course but not well-maintained and far shorter than other regulation length venues. Gymkhana can be treacherous for a beginner. The hard, narrow fairways are lined with mature and overhanging trees, and you need to abolutely keep your ball in play or the round will prove to be very frustrating. Unlike most local courses, once you miss a fairway at Gymkhana, you will either not have a shot at all because your ball has been lost, or you'll find yourself in an adjoining fairway and have to negotiate your next shot around huge trees. The greens play terribly slow, especially in the early morning, and you can expect to make more putts than you normally would. By all means hire a caddy and be happy to pay them THB 200 or more for your 18-hole round. Their advice can easily save you the cost of lost balls and make your round more pleasurable. Stardome is another 9-hole course that is extremely well maintained and low-cost. Seniors can even get a nice discount. Water hazards there can dampen your enthusiasm unless you hit it straight.

As for driving ranges, I find that Stardome is the best all things considered. Their range balls, ball-spotting machines and mats were all replaced in the past year--major investments that most driving ranges here tend to shun. THB 100 gets you three trays of 40-balls each. The San Sai range has old and distance-limiting balls and you will not see the normal distance or trajectory you'd expect...and the concrete slabs on which the mats are placed are all canted slightly forward--downhill--to allow for rain runoff. This adds a level of difficulty for beginners who tend not to hit down on iron shots and end up topping them instead. These shortcomings when combined with rock hard mats can make for a difficult practice session.

I played Hang Dong last week for the first time in 6 months and found it in pretty rough condition. The greens were OK but the fairways and teeboxes were either barren, underlaid with too much sand, or taken over by weeds. The #9 fairway was especially in poor shape...full of bare, sandy lies which are very difficult to hit off of. The upside is that HD is dirt cheap, so you really get what you pay for. The best courses IMO are Royal Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Highlands or Mae Jo. Mae Jo is the hardest to play well...as many fairways are hilly and wind around fruit orchards, requiring excellent shotmaking and placement ability. CM Highlands is the best course all things considered...a visual feast for the eye and a fair one to play as well, although the strategic bunkering can be vexing if you fail to keep the ball in play. They also do a much better job of marshalling than any other course in the province. Avoid Green Valley and Lanna like the plague, as these courses routinely allow 5 and 6 (and occasionally 7) balls to play. It is hard if not impossible for a Thai golf course to tell a large group they cannot all play together...and even if they try, the group will ignore the warning and stick together anyway. Caddies will not enforce the rules, unless it is a Farang breaking them. Sorry to say this but very true. Most of these large groups are wagering as well, and 7 golfers all taking 4-5 practice swings and agonizing over every putt will remove the last bit of patience you might have had for the day. If you are in a trailing double, and come across the sight of 10 to 14 people standing on the green ahead (including caddies), it can become very disheartening indeed.

Good luck with your game and I apologize for rambling on...hope these observations are helpful to you.

Edited by Fore Man

Just wish to say thanks for the tips. Appreciated. Especially your post Fore Man, very informative.

I cant comment yet on the Gymkhanna Club as my friend and I did not have an opportunity to go. However, will have a chance in a couple of weeks from now.

Thanks again!

ForeMan have you played at Inthanon and Gold Canyon? Both have huge potential, but that's coming from a hacker who definitely needs lessons. :)

Yes-have played Gold Canyon multiple times and Inthanon only once. I find GC a bit rough around the edges, especially the newer back 9. They also routinely allow large groups to play, ruining any chance of maintaining one's tempo. We spoke to the owner who explained that he built the course for the satisfaction of local Thai players...it was never envisioned as a country club course catering to everyone. Inthanon was much more enjoyable for me...there are challenges for everyone there. It is out on the countryside and fairly flat (some exceptions to this) with little shade, although the views are nice. This lack of shade makes a round played in the hot season a not particularly pleasant experience unless you rent a cart (which we did). I understand they are steadily improving the course so as time goes on I want to give it another go.

Regards finding a decent local teaching pro...I have used both Khun Kitti at Stardome and Khun Gai at San Sai (now known as Golf Avenue). Of the two men, Gai was the much better teacher. His fees were also far less and he works with you until you are satisfied....for the price he originally charges you...even if that takes additional lessons above and beyond the norm. He has some other pros working with him who are excellent players but IMHO they are not as good at teaching golf...as this requires immense patience and empathy. I was ready to quit the game until Gai turned me around. That was less than a year ago and I am now playing to a 13 handicap index and closing in fast on a sub-80 game.

Regards Gymkhana...I agree with earlier posters...it is a low cost practice course but not well-maintained and far shorter than other regulation length venues. Gymkhana can be treacherous for a beginner. The hard, narrow fairways are lined with mature and overhanging trees, and you need to abolutely keep your ball in play or the round will prove to be very frustrating. Unlike most local courses, once you miss a fairway at Gymkhana, you will either not have a shot at all because your ball has been lost, or you'll find yourself in an adjoining fairway and have to negotiate your next shot around huge trees. The greens play terribly slow, especially in the early morning, and you can expect to make more putts than you normally would. By all means hire a caddy and be happy to pay them THB 200 or more for your 18-hole round. Their advice can easily save you the cost of lost balls and make your round more pleasurable. Stardome is another 9-hole course that is extremely well maintained and low-cost. Seniors can even get a nice discount. Water hazards there can dampen your enthusiasm unless you hit it straight.

As for driving ranges, I find that Stardome is the best all things considered. Their range balls, ball-spotting machines and mats were all replaced in the past year--major investments that most driving ranges here tend to shun. THB 100 gets you three trays of 40-balls each. The San Sai range has old and distance-limiting balls and you will not see the normal distance or trajectory you'd expect...and the concrete slabs on which the mats are placed are all canted slightly forward--downhill--to allow for rain runoff. This adds a level of difficulty for beginners who tend not to hit down on iron shots and end up topping them instead. These shortcomings when combined with rock hard mats can make for a difficult practice session.

I played Hang Dong last week for the first time in 6 months and found it in pretty rough condition. The greens were OK but the fairways and teeboxes were either barren, underlaid with too much sand, or taken over by weeds. The #9 fairway was especially in poor shape...full of bare, sandy lies which are very difficult to hit off of. The upside is that HD is dirt cheap, so you really get what you pay for. The best courses IMO are Royal Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Highlands or Mae Jo. Mae Jo is the hardest to play well...as many fairways are hilly and wind around fruit orchards, requiring excellent shotmaking and placement ability. CM Highlands is the best course all things considered...a visual feast for the eye and a fair one to play as well, although the strategic bunkering can be vexing if you fail to keep the ball in play. They also do a much better job of marshalling than any other course in the province. Avoid Green Valley and Lanna like the plague, as these courses routinely allow 5 and 6 (and occasionally 7) balls to play. It is hard if not impossible for a Thai golf course to tell a large group they cannot all play together...and even if they try, the group will ignore the warning and stick together anyway. Caddies will not enforce the rules, unless it is a Farang breaking them. Sorry to say this but very true. Most of these large groups are wagering as well, and 7 golfers all taking 4-5 practice swings and agonizing over every putt will remove the last bit of patience you might have had for the day. If you are in a trailing double, and come across the sight of 10 to 14 people standing on the green ahead (including caddies), it can become very disheartening indeed.

Good luck with your game and I apologize for rambling on...hope these observations are helpful to you.

Foreman I just about agree with everything you say in your post apart from Highlands and Lanna golf courses.

You mention marshalling at Highlands. In a 2 ball there we were bumped off the tee twice by the starter to make way for an Asian 2 ball and on the back nine by a Thai 5 ball. Complaints to the starter fell on deaf ears. Mentioning this in the office was also a waste of breathe and to finally finish any interest I might have had at Highlands the farang manager at Highlands was even more unhelpful. He truly could not care less. That is my experience of this so called top course in the province……not pleasant to say the least.

As far as Lanna goes (which I play regularly) I’ve personally never seen a 7 ball let alone a 6 ball. In the high season it’s a bit of nightmare as its so busy but just now you virtually have the course to yourself and its fairly easy to get to. Lanna is certainly not everyone’s idea of a good course though and my first choice taking everything into consideration is Mai Jo. A delight to play and the young Thai guy owner does try hard in every respect.

Eek ……as far a practise ranges are concerned I would recommend Sansai (The Avenue) much much better than Gymkhana and when the time comes to make take your game public the attached little 9 holer is great fun, but watch out for the water. :)

ForeMan have you played at Inthanon and Gold Canyon? Both have huge potential, but that's coming from a hacker who definitely needs lessons. :)

Yes-have played Gold Canyon multiple times and Inthanon only once. I find GC a bit rough around the edges, especially the newer back 9. They also routinely allow large groups to play, ruining any chance of maintaining one's tempo. We spoke to the owner who explained that he built the course for the satisfaction of local Thai players...it was never envisioned as a country club course catering to everyone. Inthanon was much more enjoyable for me...there are challenges for everyone there. It is out on the countryside and fairly flat (some exceptions to this) with little shade, although the views are nice. This lack of shade makes a round played in the hot season a not particularly pleasant experience unless you rent a cart (which we did). I understand they are steadily improving the course so as time goes on I want to give it another go.

Yes, I was told by the caddies that groups of up to 7 are allowed at GC which is ridiculous but I was under the impression it was aimed at Koreans? Inthanon played a few times, I think it could turn out to be one of the top courses around as it matures, like it a lot.

I saw a recommendation for Sansai here, played there once 3years ago and without doubt the most dangerous course I have ever come across-maybe it has changed?.

QUOTE (Fore Man @ 2010-06-06 06:06:23) QUOTE (Thailand @ 2010-06-06 09:45:28) ForeMan have you played at Inthanon and Gold Canyon? Both have huge potential, but that's coming from a hacker who definitely needs lessons. biggrin.gif

Yes, I was told by the caddies that groups of up to 7 are allowed at GC which is ridiculous but I was under the impression it was aimed at Koreans? Inthanon played a few times, I think it could turn out to be one of the top courses around as it matures, like it a lot.

I saw a recommendation for Sansai here, played there once 3years ago and without doubt the most dangerous course I have ever come across-maybe it has changed?.

My own experience at GVCC pertains to large groups of Koreans and Thais too...notably a group of policemen. The caddies were scared to death of asking the BiB to allow 2 farangs to pass through. So I boldy but very politely stepped up to ask myself.... The lead gent in their group instantly understood that we wanted to play through them, but after consulting with his fellows, the answer in Thai, which I instantly understood, came back to my caddy "The Farangs can wait". But in all honesty, for every arrogant, selfish group of Koreans or Thais, I have had the opposite reaction as well from other groups...call it a 50% poor sports versus 50% friendly folks. You just have to grin and bear it.

I played Sansai a few times but it was so incredibly crude and poorly maintained that I have never gone back. I am told by a close golfing friend that it has not changed at all. I respect the teaching pro there but he is not associated with the golf course or driving range management.

QUOTE (Fore Man @ 2010-06-06 03:14:37) Regards finding a decent local teaching pro...I have used both Khun Kitti at Stardome and Khun Gai at San Sai (now known as Golf Avenue). Of the two men, Gai was the much better teacher. His fees were also far less and he works with you until you are satisfied....for the price he originally charges you...even if that takes additional lessons above and beyond the norm. He has some other pros working with him who are excellent players but IMHO they are not as good at teaching golf...as this requires immense patience and empathy. I was ready to quit the game until Gai turned me around. That was less than a year ago and I am now playing to a 13 handicap index and closing in fast on a sub-80 game.

Foreman I just about agree with everything you say in your post apart from Highlands and Lanna golf courses.

You mention marshalling at Highlands. In a 2 ball there we were bumped off the tee twice by the starter to make way for an Asian 2 ball and on the back nine by a Thai 5 ball. Complaints to the starter fell on deaf ears. Mentioning this in the office was also a waste of breathe and to finally finish any interest I might have had at Highlands the farang manager at Highlands was even more unhelpful. He truly could not care less. That is my experience of this so called top course in the province……not pleasant to say the least.

As far as Lanna goes (which I play regularly) I've personally never seen a 7 ball let alone a 6 ball. In the high season it's a bit of nightmare as its so busy but just now you virtually have the course to yourself and its fairly easy to get to. Lanna is certainly not everyone's idea of a good course though and my first choice taking everything into consideration is Mai Jo. A delight to play and the young Thai guy owner does try hard in every respect.

Eek ……as far a practise ranges are concerned I would recommend Sansai (The Avenue) much much better than Gymkhana and when the time comes to make take your game public the attached little 9 holer is great fun, but watch out for the water. mad.gif

Sadly, I must agree with your comment on CM Highlands....I took a similar complaint to the Farang pro and he was friendly but totally noncomittal. I had the feeling it went through one ear and out the other. I still believe the course itself is top-notch for playability, but yes, the management practices there could use some overhauling. It seems that almost any Thai course will blindly cater to large, well-heeled groups...and reject any considerations for smaller groups, especially those not paying high, walk-in greens fees nor renting carts. I guess the truth is that a single or double has virtually no rights on any golf course, other than to pay their money and play 18 holes...no matter how long it takes or how frustrating the experience might be.

As for Lanna, I enjoy Course #3--the newer one that is mostly contained by the race track. I find that the large influx of Japanese and Thai players makes for an intolerably long round, but I have not tried Lanna in the low season. Mainly, because they refuse to give us a decent price as long-term residents but who are non-members. For the money they want to charge, we'd rather go to Stardome and have a much better experience. Stardome can get busy as well, especially in the afternoons and on weekends; so we tend to avoid it during those times.

I really enjoy Mae Jo too....even though their refreshment kiosk was closed when we walked by (top of the hill before #14), we had the caddy call back to the clubhouse and they cheerfully brought drinks out to us by cart. Nice touch.

Edited by Fore Man

Re Lanna, Currently they have suspended the Monday and Friday Sports Days in favour of upping the greens fee to the same as the other courses at 800THB, back to 500THB next month, making it very good value

Re Inthanon, played last week and the new clubhouse is a month or so away from being open. Construction has begun on the hotel

No one mentions Alpine which is in superb condition. A bargain at the 800THB and it is virtually deserted

Most courses are very quiet these days so a slow round is not an issue.