PM Abhisit Announces Next Election Will Be Held On Nov 14

webfact

oh those poor, poor business people toiling years and years for no profit - my heart bleeds... the reality is the Dems (yellows - just look at their FM) are for the elite and run BY the elite - Abhisit? Eton? Oxford? what ho? son of rich, elitist parents? gimme a break!

It's pretty amusing that you red shirts like to harp about Abhisit's background while conveniently forgetting that Thaksin was born into one of the richest and most prominent families in Chiang Mai. And that with the billions he's stolen, he's actually one of the elite also. But whatever floats your boat!

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the majority of Thais will accept Abhisit’s proposal as equitable. But, frankly outside of Isaan I think the red shirts are viewed merely as a mob of terrorists who have disrupted lives and are destroying the economy. Apart from wanting elections quickly, what have the red shirts offered all Thais? The average Thai does not even want an early election. The issues discussed on this forum are nonissues for the Thais in my opinion. The protestors, as my Bangkok born wife has said, don’t even look like Thais. I admit this attitude has led to the poverty in Isaan, but I believe it to be a reality for most Thais. All political changes start with a broad outline of goals and then become more specific as time progresses. Abhisit can’t possible provide details at this time on how these changes will occur. The real question in my mind is if the average Thai will back this plan. If so, then Abhisit will likely be held accountable for completing his proposal to some extent.

wasn't he born raised and educated in England? He holds English citizenship. Maybe I don't like him he seems very sly and out to feather his own nest at the expense of the thai people. Every thai I have spoken with say he is corrupt and evil. It appears that only farangs support him but what has he done or doing for you. Farangs in his eyes are just the same as the working class thais.

Every Thai I've talked to says the opposite about him. And everything bad you say about Abhisit seems to be what the people I've talked to say about Thaksin.

All the Thai's I speak to really like him too.

Just read in the read only topic that if the reds agree with the proposal they will send Veera to negotiate.

If they agree what they have to negotiate?Do they mean just forget that anything happened in the past 6 weeks?

“While the red-shit protesters are still out there, setting up barriers against authorities, there's now a group of patriot people who started off by a small group…We'll have to wait and see, because in history, the general public's power has never been defeated. For Thai-ASEAN News Network,

-- Tan Network 2010-05-04

at last an honest media source........

Can't see the red leaders getting Amnesty the PM has been firm on this he wants people charged and investigations to continue.

I think Abhisit is the one that will be looking for amnesty. Remember the Democrats face dissolution and by the time the next election comes in November, Abhisit will likely be banned from politics for 5 years for election fraud.

He did not commit election fraud it is alleged the democrat party did,and to date that is only an allegation, you armchair politicians are a joke.

Not to mention that the Election Commission acted after being invaded by Arisman's crew, and threatened if they didn't.

Read : Decision made under duress.

It is only a EC recommendation and not a formal charge is laid at this point.

And also remember like PPP and TRT only the party name and some leadership is ever dissolved,

IF it is 'proved in court' that LEADERSHIP knew, acted and condoned the crime.

A 'New Democrats' will be put in place and things will move on. Any MP's elected under that Democrat banner,

will ALSO be legit and in Parliament with full voting rights, under a different banner or no specific banner.

And those individuals regardless of banner can still form a coalition with any other minor party and

overwhelm a PTP minority party that gets too few partners PTP's ONLY HOPE is to win more than 50%

nationally, and with the Red malfeasances of late that will be much harder to do.

Edited by animatic

The most important thing from this offer is not about who actually won, it is that if accepted, both parties can walk away from this with the perception that they 'won'.

These individual perceptions may very well be different, even opposing, but so long as each party thinks this is true, work can get started on healing the wounds in society.

The real winners, if the reds accept, is all of the Thai people.

I actually agree! forget about 'winner' let's get this thing done BUT it must be a fair and monitored election process otherwise 'here we go again'

The election is the least important thing on the agenda. It will come, but you should try to focus on what happens till then. That's where the change will come from, or not.

The most important thing from this offer is not about who actually won, it is that if accepted, both parties can walk away from this with the perception that they 'won'.

These individual perceptions may very well be different, even opposing, but so long as each party thinks this is true, work can get started on healing the wounds in society.

I actually agree! forget about 'winner' let's get this thing done BUT it must be a fair and monitored election process otherwise 'here we go again'

I agree entirely with both posts.

However, and not wishing to dampen the enthusiasm for a speedy and safe conclusion to the protest, appropriate legal action needs to be pursued against the red leadership.

I am sure that the charges of attempting to overthrow the monarchy can be dropped.

against BOTH leaderships? let Abhisit demonstrate fairness - prosecute yellows for airport take-over and reds for this mess - to do one without the other will lead to escalating trouble.

Thaksin is getting democratic:

Former Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra Hires International Law Firm Amsterdam & Peroff

LONDON, May 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Amsterdam & Peroff announce that they have been appointed counsel to the former Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra, to assist in the current contentious struggle for the restoration of democracy and rule of law in the Southeast Asian nation.

"We are pleased to be retained by Prime Minister Shinawatra to work on this urgent matter, and we acknowledge the challenging complexity and sensitivity of the political crisis unraveling Thai society," said Robert Amsterdam, founding partner of Amsterdam & Peroff. "It is our intention to explore every legal avenue to assist this pro-democracy movement, and urge the international community not to tolerate the government's violent crackdown on peaceful protestors."

Thaksin, who served as Thailand's Prime Minister from 2001 to 2006 before being unlawfully forced from office by a military coup, has been living in self-exile for the past two years despite repeated victories in democratic elections. Protestors affiliated with the National United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD, or "Red Shirts"), suffered 27 casualties in violent confrontations with police and military in the month of April.

Amsterdam & Peroff, founded in 1980 by partners Robert Amsterdam and Dean Peroff, is an international law firm specializing in complex multi-jurisdictional litigation, commercial arbitration, and political advocacy in challenging emerging markets. The firm maintains offices in London, Washington, DC and Toronto. More information is available at www.amsterdamandperoff.com and www.robertamsterdam.com.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fo...f-92662189.html

By my count that's the fourth western PR/legal firm that Thaksin has hired to spin his bullshit and interfere with Thai society. Blood money.

Ditto

and more HiSo than Sam Moon for sure.

The point is that Thailand is desperate for an honest, evolved leader - who can unite the country.

What is it you think is going on here? Open your eyes man!

you honestly think Abhisit is THAT man?

This sounds very nice and like a possible breaktrough ... Reds would be crazy to refuse after the bad days they had. However, with terrorists charges threatening and no mention of amnesty in his 5 point program, they might ask to have amnesty added as a number 6 prior to give in.

Yes I think this is a main point. Amnesty! Most of them out on bail already. Difficult question, but i think they must face justice, because many of their crimes is to serious.

At least they need to be responsible for all the financial damages they have caused. They also have to face criminal charges if they order killing or bombing that has happened

Edited by thaigold

Can't see the red leaders getting Amnesty the PM has been firm on this he wants people charged and investigations to continue.

I think Abhisit is the one that will be looking for amnesty. Remember the Democrats face dissolution and by the time the next election comes in November, Abhisit will likely be banned from politics for 5 years for election fraud.

He did not commit election fraud it is alleged the democrat party did,and to date that is only an allegation, you armchair politicians are a joke.

There is NO allegation before any court that there was election fraud. This is a case about illegal contribution (and spending) and NOT ELECTION FRAUD which is considerably more serious.

Yes, what is 'buying' a whole party for a nine digit sum compared with a five digit donation to some villages in your constituency to people who vote for you anyway. :)

Don't have false hope, the dissolution of the democrats will come.

I agree entirely with both posts.

However, and not wishing to dampen the enthusiasm for a speedy and safe conclusion to the protest, appropriate legal action needs to be pursued against the red leadership.

I am sure that the charges of attempting to overthrow the monarchy can be dropped.

against BOTH leaderships? let Abhisit demonstrate fairness - prosecute yellows for airport take-over and reds for this mess - to do one without the other will lead to escalating trouble.

Abhisit isn't a prosecutor he's the PM, that is a different department.

The point is that Thailand is desperate for an honest, evolved leader - who can unite the country.

Please provide your recommendation. And while you are at it, a draft copy of the Red Election Platform for everyone to study. :)

.... The protestors, as my Bangkok born wife has said, don't even look like Thais. I admit this attitude has led to the poverty in Isaan, but I believe it to be a reality for most Thais. ....

Happy to employ them at a pittance though; happy to have them wai and kow-tow to their 'betters'; happy to have them sweep the streets; drive the taxis; serve in the army; work in the factories; grow the food - but wait - THEY DON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE THAIS!

It's attitudes like your wife's that caused this problem in the first place. I'm just pointing this out - so in the event that Abhisit fails in his efforts at national reconciliation and they come looking to hang your family from a lampost - you'll know who to blame!

Please provide your recommendation. And while you are at it, a draft copy of the Red Election Platform for everyone to study. :)

The private Red Election Platform is, and has always been, white wash Thaksin's crimes and bring him back so he can lead the country.

The public Red Election Platform is, "we are red, so vote for us".

Yes I do, but more importantly the Thai people are beginning to see that. Should have some national polls coming in over the next few days, let's see what they say. The stock market is already giving an early indication.

Edited by lannarebirth

.... The protestors, as my Bangkok born wife has said, don't even look like Thais. I admit this attitude has led to the poverty in Isaan, but I believe it to be a reality for most Thais. ....

Happy to employ them at a pittance though; happy to have them wai and kow-tow to their 'betters'; happy to have them sweep the streets; drive the taxis; serve in the army; work in the factories; grow the food - but wait - THEY DON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE THAIS!

It's attitudes like your wife's that caused this problem in the first place. I'm just pointing this out - so in the event that Abhisit fails in his efforts at national reconciliation and they come looking to hang your family from a lampost - you'll know who to blame!

"they come looking to hang your family from a lampost"

Is that what you're expecting from a red win?

RED DEMOCRACY AT WORK

There is NO allegation before any court that there was election fraud. This is a case about illegal contribution (and spending) and NOT ELECTION FRAUD which is considerably more serious.

Yes, what is 'buying' a whole party for a nine digit sum compared with a five digit donation to some villages in your constituency to people who vote for you anyway. :)

Don't have false hope, the dissolution of the democrats will come.

How's your national unity party prediction coming along?

Edited by lannarebirth

Just read in the read only topic that if the reds agree with the proposal they will send Veera to negotiate.

If they agree what they have to negotiate?Do they mean just forget that anything happened in the past 6 weeks?

They're probably going to try and negotiate an amnesty and hope that the govt will just let them off for all the crimes and acts of aggression they (the leaders) and members of their mob have committed over the last few weeks. Let's hope the govt stand firm on this and come down hard on those who have broken the law. How can they let the likes of Arisman walk away from this scot free?

The private Red Election Platform is, and has always been, white wash Thaksin's crimes and bring him back so he can lead the country.

The public Red Election Platform is, "we are red, so vote for us".

or 'we are Red, vote for us.......or else''

Sounds like the Reds are not fully on board

#

Kwanchai sounds like a bit of a loose cannon. Good for keeping crowd numbers up, though. 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

#

Abhisit already knows his fate, dissolution of his party, that's why he made this proposal. Dem's guilt is clear, no escape. 6 minutes ago via TweetDeck

#

Kwanchai tells upcountry people to keep coming. Don't worry about soldiers or tanks. Dissolution is still our goal, he says. 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck

#

Kwanchai announces arrival of huge contingent from Udorn with more to come. Sounds like he doesn't want to quit. 9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

from @terryfrd on twitter

Others are saying they are happy to accept it but need to hear confirmation that coalition parties are on board (which was already announced this morning)

Sounds to me as though Thaksin has not made his mind up yet as this does not mention anything about him, rather it specifically mentions that the Dems want to retain some aspects of the 2007 charter, which I suppose is aimed at blocking attempts of Thaksin to return

RED DEMOCRACY AT WORK

We'd better hope not - because the people who don't even look like Thais have won the last two elections. But the 'let them eat cake' attitude of the Bangkok so called 'elite' (who in my experience have the general education of the average 4th former) has an unfortunate historical track record. If the country goes to hel_l in a handbasket and them with it - then they can't say they weren't forewarned. Oh but wait - I forgot - they don't know any history....

RED DEMOCRACY AT WORK

We'd better hope not - because the people who don't even look like Thais have won the last two elections. But the 'let them eat cake' attitude of the Bangkok so called 'elite' (who in my experience have the general education of the average 4th former) has an unfortunate historical track record. If the country goes to hel_l in a handbasket and them with it - then they can't say they weren't forewarned. Oh but wait - I forgot - they don't know any history....

Sorry ... who "won" the last election?

I'll ignore the previous election, which was invalidated (before the coup).

Edited by whybother

"Thaksin was born fairly poor"

Maybe you should do a bit of research into Thaksin's "poor" family.

... and according to Thaksin's words, his father sold coffee at the road corners. Still, I haven't gotten any answer to my question. "Was there any coffee around that time, or what else was it?"

"Thaksin was born fairly poor"

Maybe you should do a bit of research into Thaksin's "poor" family.

... and according to Thaksin's words, his father sold coffee at the road corners. Still, I haven't gotten any answer to my question. "Was there any coffee around that time, or what else was it?"

You rarely get answers from red supporters.