PM Abhisit Announces Next Election Will Be Held On Nov 14

webfact

my pronostics for near future

The PM/dems forms a coalition with PTP . Red switch sides .

The PM reform package is implemented smoothly

Next election are won easily by the coalition .

:)

Edit : Mark my words

It makes a certain amount of political sense w/ a lot of qualifiers, but where does that leave the man in Dubai? Don't forget suspended TRT'ers are only a couple of years away from reappearing.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I REALLY like Abhisit.

Anyone who can also alienate PAD must be on the right lines.

Commonsense, pander to no one particular faction and seek to benefit ALL Thailand. WOW, what a campaign plan.

Chok Dee Khun Abhisit.

Whatever his sweet words are, or how handsome he looks, he needs to go, this guy wasn't elected by the people, just a house senate. I'm even suprised the PAD dogs dare to open their mouth again, after the 2006 coup, 1992 slaughter, and the 2008/2009 airport/gov house drama's

Dude you need to read up on your history! On second thought don't, it's providing humorous relief.

A Dem was a PAD visitor,

I never saw ANYTHING to say Kasit did any PAD planning or

actual signed a PAD document,

he came and mad a speech, but other Dems did not.

You are pro something or other,

but I can't assume 'being pro red means being CM51...'

You see the difference? I guess not.

If you can call Abhist a PAD member because Kasit visited PAD,

then I can call you CM51 for backing the Reds.

Same logical conclusion, by that methodology.

No you are wrong.I know in your case it's not dishonesty or weakness of intellect, just ignorance. Several leading Democrats, including Abhisit and Korn, visited the PAD demonstrators.I would say that most middle class urbanites sympathised with PAD to begin with.I don't blame them given Thaksin's poisonous influence.Once the appalling nature of the movement became clear, the decent people including senior Democrats began to drift away (rather like the Western communists who left the party over Hungary after 1956).But politics often has a tribal/class nature and I'm guessing many middle class Democrats have a sneaking sympathy for the PAD agenda even if they don't openly admit it.

The Dems were the PAD's party of choice. It is just that it appears Abhisit sings to his own tune, for which I have to respect him.

His job is to be PM and manage the country.

It is not his job to pander to ANY of these parties if he doesn't have to or want to, the PAD have had their time, the reds are reaching the end of their. Elections will come, someone will win, and hopefully ALL the street mobs of all colours stay at home.

Whether or not he has the support of the more diehard yellows within his party is another issue.

A Dem was a PAD visitor,

No you are wrong.I know in your case it's not dishonesty or weakness of intellect, just ignorance. Several leading Democrats, including Abhisit and Korn, visited the PAD demonstrators.I would say that most middle class urbanites sympathised with PAD to begin with.I don't blame them given Thaksin's poisonous influence.Once the appalling nature of the movement became clear, the decent people including senior Democrats began to drift away (rather like the Western communists who left the party over Hungary after 1956).But politics often has a tribal/class nature and I'm guessing many middle class Democrats have a sneaking sympathy for the PAD agenda even if they don't openly admit it.

Why is speaking to some constituents under one banner suddenly construed as joining them?

A conservative can make a speech to liberals and not think of joining them.

Yes I do know other dems did visit PAD EARLY on, and later stopped just as you say.

I didn't have a laundry list at hand of who was who, except that vituperatous 'Josanna' woman in the senate...

I have also said it before; having sympathies for SOME of PAD's goals, from one period of PAD's existence,

is not synonymous with joining pad; the phrase I keep hearing in my head is 'fellow traveler' b

ut that has to many 50's connotations. I prefer parallel directedness on some issues, but not all.

The point being politicians court votes most anywhere,

and a PAD stage early on is a different place than a PAD stage later.

And anyone speaking there was guaranteed a large listening audience for a few sound bites.

But I can't believe PAD stages were anything but speaking opportunities and not a join up into the ranks.

One must also consider at what point in time distancing of Dems to Pad took place, for it clearly did,

and what external actions against PAD were germain to it's turning much more extremist than it's origins?

Sneaking sympathy is not the same as concrete actions, is it?

Nor is agreeing with on point of many the same as buyinhg a political platform for every plank.

A Dem was a PAD visitor,

The Dems were the PAD's party of choice. It is just that it appears Abhisit sings to his own tune, for which I have to respect him.

It is not his job to pander to ANY of these parties if he doesn't have to or want to, the PAD have had their time, the reds are reaching the end of their. Elections will come, someone will win, and hopefully ALL the street mobs of all colours stay at home.

Whether or not he has the support of the more diehard yellows within his party is another issue.

I can't disagree with there mate. :)

I am quite worried that quite a few very senior Dems will be seething about this and high tail it over to the PAD's party. Then the Dems get split in 2, PTP cleans up and we are all the way back to square one at the election.

This still doesn't resolve what will anyone (army, PAD, and anyone else who has an opinion) do about the Thaksin problem if a pro-Thaksin party gets in. No one can honestly believe that he can be pardoned, restored to power now do they? Now that is one proviso I would imagine is being discussed to get everyone to go home.

What exactly is wrong with a pro-Thaksin party winning the election if the majority of Thais want them? Isn't that how Democracy works? Majority rules?

He was voted again after the 2006 coup, but the PAD didn't like that :)

What I don't understand is all the fuss about Democracy and Elections. Why doesn't Abhisit (or Anupong) just ban all political parties, declare himself Dear Leader and we're done? Elections obviously don't mean a thing in Thailand if the result ends up not being accepted. Coups are standard routing like taking a potty break. The Thai people are the ones that end up having to suffer.

Yup, almost seems like it's better of with Burma style dictatorship, I just love all the farangs thinks red is bad, and yellow is good, while in real they are supporting the criminals. But nevermind...

"all the farangs thinks red is bad, and yellow is good". You will find a good number of farangs on here find both mobs offensive and class both mobs as criminals.

Burmese style dictatorship? Certainly would be that with Chavalit in the picture.

Yup, almost seems like it's better of with Burma style dictatorship, I just love all the farangs thinks red is bad, and yellow is good, while in real they are supporting the criminals. But nevermind...

In real the reds have plenty of criminals, yellow has their own party too, and it's not the democrats it's the NPP. In real farangs are against violence, terrorism, lawlessness and corruption. In real vote buying and electoral fraud result in elections no more credible than the Burmese ones. In real farangs don't want to see red protesters used and discarded while the red leaders get rich.

What exactly is wrong with a pro-Thaksin party winning the election if the majority of Thais want them? Isn't that how Democracy works? Majority rules?

What I don't understand is all the fuss about Democracy and Elections. Why doesn't Abhisit (or Anupong) just ban all political parties, declare himself Dear Leader and we're done? Elections obviously don't mean a thing in Thailand if the result ends up not being accepted. Coups are standard routing like taking a potty break. The Thai people are the ones that end up having to suffer.

If there is anything you do understand please let us know. The protests aren't really about democracy and Abhisit is not the red choice for Dear Leader.

There is nothing wrong with it. You are misunderstanding my meaning.

I am talking as a spectator who wants to see a stable and strong Thailand for the good of the country. Splitting the Dems to the benefit of the PAD is a very bad thing. Strengthening the PAD's political arm is not a good development for Thailand. Some say here that the Dems have never cared for the little guy. Well, just wait and see how the political landscape will look if for example the PAD's political party can win 50 to 80 seats simply because some Democrat heavy hitters flip party.

I do not expect the PAD to stand around aimlessly if a pro-Thaksin party wins.

I do not expect the PAD to stand around aimlessly if Thaksin returns to Thailand.

I doubt the army or PAD will stand around aimlessly if Thaksin is pardoned.

Now, if the Dems stay together and there is a compromise position reached vis a vis what is to be done about Thaksin then the elections can go off, the PAD stay at home and we get to the end of November and the country has a parliament that most are happy about and the country can move on.

This is about the country extricating itself from a very damaging cycle of protests, coups and constitutional re-writes. It is about getting the election process to be performed so that everyone can agree to respect the results.

This entails that in reality by the end of October that the PAD and the Reds are actually very weak and unable to raise the support for protest. Anything that encourages the PAD to resurrect itself beyond TV studios is in my opinion a bad thing.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Anything that encourages the PAD to resurrect itself beyond TV studios is in my opinion a bad thing.

Anything that encourages Thaksin to resurrect himself beyond an Ugandan diamond miner is in my opinion a far worse thing.

In real the reds have plenty of criminals, yellow has their own party too, and it's not the democrats it's the NPP. In real farangs are against violence, terrorism, lawlessness and corruption. In real vote buying and electoral fraud result in elections no more credible than the Burmese ones. In real farangs don't want to see red protesters used and discarded while the red leaders get rich.

I don't think that all farangs have exact the same opinions...

There are yellow one, red one, sexpats who only care the bar fee, farangs who only want peace, communist farangs, right wing farangs, american, germans, british.....all are different.

Anything that encourages the PAD to resurrect itself beyond TV studios is in my opinion a bad thing.

Anything that encourages Thaksin to resurrect himself beyond an Ugandan diamond miner is in my opinion a far worse thing.

Indeed. But you have to consider the fact that there is a very good chance that the PPP will form the next government after the election. In which case it is vital that during these discussions someone makes some tacit promises about what will happen with Thaksin should the Dems not be part of the government.

What would be the point of elections if the first thing anyone does in power is to bring Thaksin back, which brings out the PAD which brings the country back to a standstill.

I am quite worried that quite a few very senior Dems will be seething about this and high tail it over to the PAD's party. Then the Dems get split in 2, PTP cleans up and we are all the way back to square one at the election.

This still doesn't resolve what will anyone (army, PAD, and anyone else who has an opinion) do about the Thaksin problem if a pro-Thaksin party gets in. No one can honestly believe that he can be pardoned, restored to power now do they? Now that is one proviso I would imagine is being discussed to get everyone to go home.

You confirm than PAD is (We want or not) part of the picture unfortunately, and Abhisit has to re-group his friends for supporting the Roadmap and Election proposal: the opponents in the government camp, reduce the credibility of the implementation of the said proposal. I think on a way or the other the proposal has to be sealed: I have suggested Parliament vote on "roadmap + principle of referendum", followed immediatly by red shirts leaving Ratchaprasong and campaign for referendum, Abhisit should now create his own movement.

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

Commonsense, pander to no one particular faction and seek to benefit ALL Thailand. WOW, what a campaign plan.

Chok Dee Khun Abhisit.

I second that!

You confirm than PAD is (We want or not) part of the picture unfortunately, and Abhisit has to re-group his friends for supporting the Roadmap and Election proposal: the opponents in the government camp, reduce the credibility of the implementation of the said proposal. I think on a way or the other the proposal has to be sealed: I have suggested Parliament vote on "roadmap + principle of referendum", followed immediatly by red shirts leaving Ratchaprasong and campaign for referendum, Abhisit should now create his own movement.

The Dems were not the PAD part of choice -- they were the ONLY opposition party.

The Democrats aren't stupid --- they will not be joining NPP --- why join a group that is despised? They can form a new party (probably have one registered already) and maintain control without joining extremists IF (big IF) they are disbanded.

Jerry --- the PAD isn't even a 'spoiler' in the current issues with the Reds --- The PAD is unimportant other than a tool to use against the reds. They have only one real talking point. Thaksin. As long as Thaksin is out of the picture locally in Thailand they have no real thing to talk about. Should the reds return to power then who knows what they will do. Nothing other than force of law can keep ANY group from doing what the Reds have done (and to a slightly lesser extent what the PAD did in the past).

Indeed. But you have to consider the fact that there is a very good chance that the PPP will form the next government after the election. In which case it is vital that during these discussions someone makes some tacit promises about what will happen with Thaksin should the Dems not be part of the government.

What would be the point of elections if the first thing anyone does in power is to bring Thaksin back, which brings out the PAD which brings the country back to a standstill.

The PPP has been dissolved so they won't be winning any elections or forming any governments.

As for what happens to Thaksin, that's already been determined. When he returns, he will go to prison for his conviction and also face the multiple remaining cases still pending against him.

Anything short of that and PAD will justifiably return.

Edited by mavup

Chok Dee Khun Abhisit.

I second that!

Well said!

Because we all know it will not be above board

and a Dictator is something we do not need after the last 2 months

We now know as a fact Thai democracy is not about the majority rules it all about Mob rule

Edited by ozzieman05

You forget the Prime Minister is chosen by his party not him self

Thaskin is the self contested ruler

If the ruling Party wants the PM replaced they can do so at any time

Until then he deserves the respect of his position

and with a complete new set of rules set up by this last demonstration

I just had a call from a friend on the way to Khon Kaen.

According to him, there's tens of thousands of people on the way to Bangkok right now. He spoke to some in a gas station and they say they are coming to finish things off - whatever they mean by that.

Maybe another weekend of Pizza and DVDs then....

Actually, the PPP needed the support of the smaller parties to get into government in 2007.

The PAD were not protesting that the PPP were there. They were protesting that the PPP were trying to whitewash Thaksin's charges.

And even after the PPP were disbanded, the PTP could have formed government IF the smaller parties had continued to support them.

I haven't seen any posts actually supporting the yellows latest outburst. There might be one or two I missed, but on the whole, there is very little support for the yellows on TVF.

What is important is if the PM acts now he can clean up the streets of Bangkok while the numbers of protestors is low

Any more hesitation may put us back at the beginning with thousands coming in from the north for a new party

It is in the interest of the people of Bangkok to see it end now

No more bullsxxt

Bring peace back to the streets and law and order back in force

What is important is if the PM acts now he can clean up the streets of Bangkok while the numbers of protestors is low

Any more hesitation may put us back at the beginning with thousands coming in from the north for a new party

It is in the interest of the people of Bangkok to see it end now

No more bullsxxt

Bring peace back to the streets and law and order back in force

The Reds know they have until Monday before the government can act.