PM Abhisit Announces Next Election Will Be Held On Nov 14

webfact

Thaksin needs blood on Abhisit's hands ASAP - Abhisit is outwitting his every move. The "roadmap" and the reds hesitation in accepting it is making it obvious what the whole purpose of the protests is.

Wonder if these reds on the way will be stopped at the army checkpoints?

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is important is if the PM acts now he can clean up the streets of Bangkok while the numbers of protestors is low

Any more hesitation may put us back at the beginning with thousands coming in from the north for a new party

It is in the interest of the people of Bangkok to see it end now

No more bullsxxt

Bring peace back to the streets and law and order back in force

The Reds know they have until Monday before the government can act.

I wonder if the police/army will stop anyone joining the protests.

Edited by whybother

A comment from a friend in the U.K concerning the general election and the party antics.

The way our political parties attack each other has me concerned that we will end up not with an elected party running the country later this week but with a group who will behave like bickering educationally sub-normal ten year old's!

Seems to ring a bell concerning the attitudes and stances of the political parties over here too.

A comment from a friend in the U.K concerning the general election and the party antics.
The way our political parties attack each other has me concerned that we will end up not with an elected party running the country later this week but with a group who will behave like bickering educationally sub-normal ten year old's!

Seems to ring a bell concerning the attitudes and stances of the political parties over here too.

It could end up in exactly the same situation, the party with the most seats may not be in the ruling coalition.

Thaksin needs blood on Abhisit's hands ASAP - Abhisit is outwitting his every move. The "roadmap" and the reds hesitation in accepting it is making it obvious what the whole purpose of the protests is.

Not at all. The red UDD had accepted it and asked the PM for the date of the House dissolution. Then the yellow PAD came and said that they didn't accept it and wanted the PM to step down, which made the red UDD jump back onto the fence and basically told the PM to come back with the roadmap when he had sorted it out.

What is important is if the PM acts now he can clean up the streets of Bangkok while the numbers of protestors is low

Any more hesitation may put us back at the beginning with thousands coming in from the north for a new party

No more bullsxxt

I was near Rajprasong earlier this morning and saw people wearing red shirts walking into the protest site, through the checkpoints, without even being searched. So my guess is they're not doing anything. Even saw a pick-up truck driving in with brown supply boxes of Mama noodles or something, also without being checked.

Not at all. The red UDD had accepted it and asked the PM for the date of the House dissolution. Then the yellow PAD came and said that they didn't accept it and wanted the PM to step down, which made the red UDD jump back onto the fence and basically told the PM to come back with the roadmap when he had sorted it out.

In other words, theatre.

I see. And why did the yellows not accepting it cause the reds to jump on the fence?

I see. And why did the yellows not accepting it cause the reds to jump on the fence?

I believe because the PM didn't state the date of the House dissolution. Why he didn't do that is anyone's guess. So say the red shirts and the PM move ahead with the roadmap. Surely the yellow PAD will take to the streets with "anti-election" protests. Funny, isn't it ...a so-called "Pro-Democracy" movement being "anti-Elections". :)

I believe because the PM didn't state the date of the House dissolution.

You just said it was because the yellows didn't accept it. Now you are saying it's because the PM didn't state the date for dissolution. Make up your mind.

Funny, isn't it ...a so-called "Pro-Democracy" movement being "anti-Elections". :)

I think you mean anti-forced elections. Nothing democratic about a PM being forced to step down because of violent threats.

I believe because the PM didn't state the date of the House dissolution. Why he didn't do that is anyone's guess. So say the red shirts and the PM move ahead with the roadmap. Surely the yellow PAD will take to the streets with "anti-election" protests. Funny, isn't it ...a so-called "Pro-Democracy" movement being "anti-Elections". :)

With some people in what is supposed to be the Government supporters, requesting than PM resigns, it is legitimate for the Red Shirts to wait until the situation is cleared.

That is true - Abhisit had a chance to redeem himself and be decisive - and it's slip, slip, slipping away...

With some people in what is supposed to be the Government supporters, requesting than PM resigns, it is legitimate for the Red Shirts to wait until the situation is cleared.

I thought the yellows were just a small minority. Why do the reds care about what they think? Are the reds going to let the yellows decide how things are going to happen?

Firstly, the PAD isn't supposed to be the government supporters, the PAD is labeled as the government supporters by ignorant reds.

Secondly, the reds either agree in principle to the road-map or they don't. If they do, they should put their backing behind it and not worry about the other groups. By jumping back on the fence all they do is help to further derail things, which in my opinion is exactly their intention. They don't sincerely want a solution to the problems that they themselves created, they just want disorder and mayhem because this is the state most likely to bring success for them. As Insight says, blood on Abhisit's hands would suit Thaksin very nicely - anything to make his own crimes seem less serious.

"As bad as Thai politics is its not really all that different than politics anywhere else. It's the culture and society that is the problem and when that is overlaid on to politics the nation suffers. This dialogue that needs to take place is about "new society", "new culture". A recent poll says 82% of Thai people are ok with corruption. There's no "New Politics" that's going to turn that around. On the contrary. When the people change their way of thinking the politicians will adapt to it. Not vice versa."

That is an interesting poll. 82%. Where did that come from?

Edited by Markaew

"As bad as Thai politics is its not really all that different than politics anywhere else. It's the culture and society that is the problem and when that is overlaid on to politics the nation suffers. This dialogue that needs to take place is about "new society", "new culture". A recent poll says 82% of Thai people are ok with corruption. There's no "New Politics" that's going to turn that around. On the contrary. When the people change their way of thinking the politicians will adapt to it. Not vice versa."

That is an interesting poll. 82%. Where did that come from?

You'll have to Google for Bangkok Post article :

Amazing Thailand: A corrupt government is OK

By Veera Prateepchaikul

Edited by lannarebirth

Firstly, the PAD isn't supposed to be the government supporters, the PAD is labeled as the government supporters by ignorant reds.

Secondly, the reds either agree in principle to the road-map or they don't. If they do, they should put their backing behind it and not worry about the other groups. By jumping back on the fence all they do is help to further derail things, which in my opinion is exactly their intention. They don't sincerely want a solution to the problems that they themselves created, they just want disorder and mayhem because this is the state most likely to bring success for them. As Insight says, blood on Abhisit's hands would suit Thaksin very nicely - anything to make his own crimes seem less serious.

Talk to my dog maybe he will believe you. With some member of the Government demonstrating with the PAD at Airport, it is obvious that the PAD is involved one way or the other in the Coalition.

Talk to my dog maybe he will believe you. With some member of the Government demonstrating with the PAD at Airport, it is obvious that the PAD is involved one way or the other in the Coalition.

People of good will try to find reasons to bridge their differences rather than reasons not to. Not possessing this quality seems to be something you have in common with both the RS's and the YS's.

Edited by lannarebirth

In my book that is stalling for more time

Mr T will make the final decision

No more bullsxxt

I was near Rajprasong earlier this morning and saw people wearing red shirts walking into the protest site, through the checkpoints, without even being searched. So my guess is they're not doing anything. Even saw a pick-up truck driving in with brown supply boxes of Mama noodles or something, also without being checked.

It called Airport security

when you arrive in Thailand from overseas

same same

That is true - Abhisit had a chance to redeem himself and be decisive - and it's slip, slip, slipping away...

LOL ... anything to defend the reds ...

The LAW requires that the house be dissolved between certain dates to hold an election on the 14th of Nov.

But I guess that you are no longer claiming "the reds won".......

With some red shirts carrying military weapons and some black shirt terrorists mingling in, and with the red shirt leaders guilty of rioting, inciting violence, kidnapping, terrorism, and war crimes, it is legitimate for the government to disperse the red shirts immediately using the minimum force required to do the job.

With some red shirts carrying military weapons and some black shirt terrorists mingling in, and with the red shirt leaders guilty of rioting, inciting violence, kidnapping, terrorism, and war crimes,

:)

With some red shirts carrying military weapons and some black shirt terrorists mingling in, and with the red shirt leaders guilty of rioting, inciting violence, kidnapping, terrorism, and war crimes,

You forgot that the red shirts are also responsible for the Holocaust and the fake Moon Landings. :D

You forgot that the red shirts are also responsible for the Holocaust and the fake Moon Landings. :D

No the list provided is quite enough already, thank you very much.

The Fourth Geneva Convention

Art. 18. Civilian hospitals organized to give care to the wounded and sick, the infirm and maternity cases, may in no circumstances be the object of attack but shall at all times be respected and protected by the Parties to the conflict.

Abhorrent as it was I doubt what the Reds did what the Geneva Convention's defines as "attack "

Semantics --- it is an attacke if and when the courts say it is.

When armed men (100's of men) raid a hospital it is quite possible that the courts will rule it was an attack.

In fact, if you bother to read the Convention, it has no application under the current circumstances existing in Thailand.

Firstly, it applies to parties in an armed conflict ie war.

Secondly, it applies where two or more parties (ie states, not political movements within a state) are involved.

The full Article 18 reads:

Art. 18. Civilian hospitals organized to give care to the wounded and sick, the infirm and maternity cases, may in no circumstances be the object of attack but shall at all times be respected and protected by the Parties to the conflict.

States which are Parties to a conflict shall provide all civilian hospitals with certificates showing that they are civilian hospitals and that the buildings which they occupy are not used for any purpose which would deprive these hospitals of protection in accordance with Article 19.

Civilian hospitals shall be marked by means of the emblem provided for in Article 38 of the Geneva Convention for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field of 12 August 1949, but only if so authorized by the State.

The Parties to the conflict shall, in so far as military considerations permit, take the necessary steps to make the distinctive emblems indicating civilian hospitals clearly visible to the enemy land, air and naval forces in order to obviate the possibility of any hostile action.

In view of the dangers to which hospitals may be exposed by being close to military objectives, it is recommended that such hospitals be situated as far as possible from such objectives.

Let's keep some perspective folks.