Getting Married: Singaporean To A Thai

Sat0shi

Hi all,

Just joined this forum. Need some help with some questions. Before that, just some bits about myself. i'm a singaporean currently dating a thai girl and i'm thinking of marrying her, have met up with the family and all.

But im lost because as she is a thai, i know it works differently to get married with her. What are the important things i need to know...do...to look out for...or to expect. Heard there's this sin sot /dowry thing...how much to get married...cost of living in Thailand...what would the family expect...what would she expect...im just both excited and going blank in my head. How much to build a house. I not rich will it be an issue.....sorry if im throwing too many questions out...thanks in advance...cheers

Depends how you want. A marriage with Thai, you must be fairly rich. Need to sent her family some money every month, need to built a house there,if in countryside, 2 million baht will do. Many many questions to think! Good luck

Depends how you want. A marriage with Thai, you must be fairly rich. Need to sent her family some money every month, need to built a house there,if in countryside, 2 million baht will do. Many many questions to think! Good luck

anythingelse i need to take note of?

What a lot of crap! You do not need to be fairly rich, nor do you need to send her money every month, she has her own job, doesn't she. Nor do you have to pay any sin sod (but if you do make sure it is half of what a Thai man would pay), buy a house or a car or pay medical bills for "sick cows". She as a Thai have her culture and you have your Singaporean and why should you accept her way. A marriage should be balanced, ying and yang if you will, taken into account both parties desirers and needs.

The actual marriage procedure is rather straight forward. If you intend to register the marriage here in Thailand you need a prof from your government, certified by your embassy here in Thailand, that you are not married. In addition you need two people to verify the same.

Once you have got the embassy paper you need to translate it into Thai and have it endorsed by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The translation bureau can do that for you for a small fee.

Then you need passport size photos, passport copies and two witness in additions to your wife to bee's document. The registration process doesn't take vary long at the amphur office.

Good luck!

She has a regular 9 to 5 job - This is a good start :-).

Be honest to her about everything including your financial situation - i.e: you're not a walking ATM :-) and are not interested to be a sugar daddy.

Don't know how long you've been seeing each other - but if it's only just a short time ago - then get to know each other better. If after (at least) 1 year - you guys are still in love - then maybe take it a step higher.

Good luck.

You are from Singapore, build house there or remain where you live. She works in Singapore??? so live there and if family wants a visit with you and/or her, they can come to your house. Do not go visit the family for the next few years, both of you continue your work and blissful married life, maintain separate bank accounts, no credit cards, and treat her like a queen in the privacy of your house. Support her, and if her family has monetary desires tell her to handle from her salary. Follow these simple suggestions and you will not be out of pocket as some have suggested.

It’s best that you ask her directly about dowry (SinSot) and minimum request by her family, because each bride to be have different requirements and that too depends on her family background, expectations come in many ways do your girl family want a lavish or simple wedding ceremony?

As for cost of living in Thailand that depend which cities you intend live and what kinds of lifestyles you want to lead.

What kinds of houses are you talking about?, a simple village cottage or big city domicile, the building cost can be vary from Baht 500,000 (Village) right up to 50 million baht. (Big City)

As other member mentions, get deeper into her family background before committing yourself, cause living a in foreign country need $$$ to set up.

Good Luck

Edited by Thaising

You are from Singapore, build house there or remain where you live. She works in Singapore??? so live there and if family wants a visit with you and/or her, they can come to your house. Do not go visit the family for the next few years, both of you continue your work and blissful married life, maintain separate bank accounts, no credit cards, and treat her like a queen in the privacy of your house. Support her, and if her family has monetary desires tell her to handle from her salary. Follow these simple suggestions and you will not be out of pocket as some have suggested.

Good advice. Understand that a foreigner CAN NOT OWN PROPERTY in Thailand. Anything built on that property is joint owned. And, in the case of a possible divorce it will be a major financial loss to the foreign spouse and a financial windfall for the Thai spouse. Also understand that 30% or more marriages end in divorce. If you like those odds then go right ahead and buy a home in Thailand.

Hi there,

I married my thai wife 3 years ago. What I did was to ROM over here in Singapore 1st and held my traditional thai wedding in Thailand. Didn't go through the Chinese customary wedding in Singapore because 1 wedding was enough! :) Haven't gotten around to register our marriage in Thailand though. No hurry for us.

Things we did for the wedding (similar to Singaporean wedding, I guess):

1. Agreed on Wedding date

2. Sin Sot: Agreed on an amount + gold

3. Agreed on number of tables at hotel

4. Got hotel manager to be wedding planner

5. Chose bridal gown & suit

6. Brought gown & suit back to Singapore to do bridal shoot

7. Chose wedding gifts for invitees

8. Print & gave out invitation cards

9. Arranged for flights/rooms for relatives & friends from Singapore to Thailand

Went through the whole shebang. A few days later, we flew back to Singapore and carried on our lives as husband & wife. She's on LTSVP now and we are in the process of applying for Permanent Residence in Singapore. She flies back to Thailand once or twice a year to visit her family.

Cheers!

PS: One of my 1st posts in TV. Have always been a lurker. :D

Sat0shi, if you need more info, drop me a PM and we can discuss about it.

And yes, for the whole time that we are together (7-8 yrs), we were subjected to improper assumptions and innuendo from narrow-minded immigration authorities and fellow Singaporean citizens. Unfortunately, that is an ugly fact but it is the truth.

But hey, we are building a happy life together so who can take that away from us? :)

Sat0shi, if you need more info, drop me a PM and we can discuss about it.

And yes, for the whole time that we are together (7-8 yrs), we were subjected to improper assumptions and innuendo from narrow-minded immigration authorities and fellow Singaporean citizens. Unfortunately, that is an ugly fact but it is the truth.

But hey, we are building a happy life together so who can take that away from us? :)

Thks Azrielsc i will...and thks to all that responded...really appreciate it...cheers

I can only advise you to do the official marriage (ROM) in Singapore, as it is fairly straightforward, easy, cheap, rules are clear, no corruption and the certificate (in English) is recognized anywhere in the world (as far as I know). Things will not be that easy in Thailand!

The ceremony, on the other hand, is a private affair between you, her and both your families. You should discuss with all what they expect or wish for and come up with your own way of meeting all or most of these (or do it completely differently if you wish).

Altogether I congratulate you for taking not the easiest but certainly one of the more interesting ways in life - and this comes from somebody who is himself in a happy multi-national marriage!

I can only advise you to do the official marriage (ROM) in Singapore, as it is fairly straightforward, easy, cheap, rules are clear, no corruption and the certificate (in English) is recognized anywhere in the world (as far as I know). Things will not be that easy in Thailand!

The ceremony, on the other hand, is a private affair between you, her and both your families. You should discuss with all what they expect or wish for and come up with your own way of meeting all or most of these (or do it completely differently if you wish).

Altogether I congratulate you for taking not the easiest but certainly one of the more interesting ways in life - and this comes from somebody who is himself in a happy multi-national marriage!

Oh, I forgot to mention that if you are going to ROM in Singapore, a translator is necessary, if your bride is not fluent in English/Chinese/Malay/Indian. Your bride has to read out aloud a couple of paragraphs at ROM so as to ensure that she understands the process etc. In my case, the translator that I hired, read out the paragraphs in Thai to my wife and answered on her behalf to the Registrar.

Cheerio!