The Tragic Tale Of The Pad Thai Man

ThaiPauly

I realize that Thais can go off the deep end and can be quite violent when they get angry, but, over many years, I've had many more unprovoked confrontations with Westerners than Thais. They are not perfect, but pretty good compared to some of us. :)

I would agree with that sentiment.

I realize that Thais can go off the deep end and can be quite violent when they get angry, but, over many years, I've had many more unprovoked confrontations with Westerners than Thais. They are not perfect, but pretty good compared to some of us. :)

While I agree with your statement, the OP is talking about murder - not "confrontations".

the firearm death per capita for Thailand is pretty high on the list. Much higher than the US, UK etc. It's not foreigners racking up this statistic. Foreigners are maybe 3% of the population in Thailand at most.

It's just good to know to steer clear of real conflicts. My personal theory is that the culture does breed a pent up rage that when it overflows can be scary.

BTW if a reader wanted to use the Google Chrome browser which is really nice and fast. The Chrome browser also has a built in language translator which will automagically translate sites like Thai-Rath newspaper. Pretty much any Thai language site can be decrypted for western eyes. It's true a lot of the violent stuff never makes it to english language press outlets.

Murders on Koh Phangan have nothing to do with being a beach resort town and only very very rarely involve a foreigner. Its almost always local on local and there is usually a reason behind it. May not be a valid reason to us, but it is to them. Pretty sure thats par for the course everywhere in Thailand. Like I said check out ThaiRath on a daily basis. Dead bodies on nearly every front page.

see: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Murder-gang-...pp-t362758.html :)

Serious crimes in Thailand selected region 1999 - 2008 (reported)

Surat Thani (Phuket,Koh Phangan, Koh Tao) 2008

228 Murders

Chiang Mai (2008)

80 Murders

Chon Buri (Pattaya) 2008

138 Murders

Phuket (2008)

47 Murders

Krabi (2008)

101 Murders

Udon Thani (2008)

32 Murders

Khon Kaen (2008)

45 Murders

Edited by whiterussian

UPDATE:

The Soy Milk guy was taken into custody but his family came up with the bail money and some compensation for the victims family (although not as much as they wanted apparantly)

The son is still in hospital , but stable.

He and his family have now fled to Issan where he is originally from according to people that work in the market

My Wife says its unlikely that the Killer will ever get caught now.

All the equipment from the soy milk shop has gone.

The Pad Thai shop was closed today for the guys funeral.

Comment: Surely the Police would have known that the guy would do a runner after being able to post bail for a MURDER, knowing that he would probably get life? :)

the firearm death per capita for Thailand is pretty high on the list. Much higher than the US, UK etc. It's not foreigners racking up this statistic. Foreigners are maybe 3% of the population in Thailand at most.

It's just good to know to steer clear of real conflicts. My personal theory is that the culture does breed a pent up rage that when it overflows can be scary.

BTW if a reader wanted to use the Google Chrome browser which is really nice and fast. The Chrome browser also has a built in language translator which will automagically translate sites like Thai-Rath newspaper. Pretty much any Thai language site can be decrypted for western eyes. It's true a lot of the violent stuff never makes it to english language press outlets.

thx CSN will check that out

why in hel_l do they set bail for murder?!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Donnyboy

UPDATE:

The Soy Milk guy was taken into custody but his family came up with the bail money and some compensation for the victims family (although not as much as they wanted apparantly)

The son is still in hospital , but stable.

He and his family have now fled to Issan where he is originally from according to people that work in the market

My Wife says its unlikely that the Killer will ever get caught now.

All the equipment from the soy milk shop has gone.

The Pad Thai shop was closed today for the guys funeral.

Comment: Surely the Police would have known that the guy would do a runner after being able to post bail for a MURDER, knowing that he would probably get life? :)

It is the Thai form of justice... Out of sight, out of mind, nothing happened. Unless, of course, if it is some hi society figure that gets hurt or killed.

Yep, it sure works well. :)

Have a look here for an example.

Well, at least it's not too bad for very simple translations.

Comment: Surely the Police would have known that the guy would do a runner after being able to post bail for a MURDER, knowing that he would probably get life? :D

:):D:D Doesn't this place make you crazy at times. And imagine that feeling multiplied ten-fold for the members of the victim's family.

I'm posting this just because its a snapshot of stuff we never hear about, like the 10 Burmese workers who live on the outskirts of our village who were killed when the truck they were in overturned in the underpass near Big C....they were Burmese and Thais don't seem to care much about the fate of Burmese, its certainly not a newsworthy story as far as they are concerned :D

The reason you don't hear about this stuff TP, is because most of the news in Thailand is in Thai, not English.

If you learn a bit of Thai, it will be clearer to you, in my opinion.

Gee thanks for the heads up LJW, I am so os grateful to you for pointing that out :D

I can speak and read Thai, so I know what is in the Thai news.

You do not speak or read Thai, but you still seem to believe your are an expert on Thai news.... :)

I'm posting this just because its a snapshot of stuff we never hear about, like the 10 Burmese workers who live on the outskirts of our village who were killed when the truck they were in overturned in the underpass near Big C....they were Burmese and Thais don't seem to care much about the fate of Burmese, its certainly not a newsworthy story as far as they are concerned :D

The reason you don't hear about this stuff TP, is because most of the news in Thailand is in Thai, not English.

If you learn a bit of Thai, it will be clearer to you, in my opinion.

Gee thanks for the heads up LJW, I am so os grateful to you for pointing that out :D

You do not speak or read Thai, but you still seem to believe your are an expert on Thai news.... :)

Well aren't you a clever little boy. :D ....uh no actually you are a BIG HEAD if you have to tell us all.

I can't remember where my post implies that I am an expert on Thai news?

I was just reporting what I heard.

Please bear in mind that there are a small percentage of people on this forum who cannot speak or write Thai fluently :D

Seems to me that for some reason you are jelous :D

Comment: Surely the Police would have known that the guy would do a runner after being able to post bail for a MURDER, knowing that he would probably get life? :D

:):D:D Doesn't this place make you crazy at times. And imagine that feeling multiplied ten-fold for the members of the victim's family.

it does - but they accepted a pay-off? this place has 50 years or more before it even begins to catch up with a decent legal system that actually believe justice is not paying-off someone

You forgot to mention that you are also a 1st class :D

You aren't the only one who can speak and read the Thai language.

A shocking and dreadful story of anger, violence murder and the total failure of the rule of law and justice in our lovely Chiang Mai.

God knows this kind of thing can happen almost anywhere in the world but it does seem that there is an element in the Thai psyche which is prone to disproportionate reaction. Nobody likes to lose face, of course, but it seems to assume monumental proportions with some Thai people and often leads to very destructive consequences.

I have long believed that a seriously contributory factor to this kind of violence in Thai society is a lack of the effective rule and enforcement of law and equality before and trust in the legal system. No matter how inconsistent and unacceptable it may be in a civilised society, it must seem to many Thai people that in the last resort violence is all that is left. That needs to change in both reality and perception, if resort to violence is to be reduced.

Although I am anything but a supporter, this is at least in part what the more genuine amongst the red brigade are complaining about: The total failure of successive generations of Thai politicians to secure for all Thai people that equality before the law and the right to expect justice, which has quite simply been bought by only those who can afford it. Perhaps when that is achieved we will read far fewer of these horror stories.

A shocking and dreadful story of anger, violence murder and the total failure of the rule of law and justice in our lovely Chiang Mai.

God knows this kind of thing can happen almost anywhere in the world but it does seem that there is an element in the Thai psyche which is prone to disproportionate reaction. Nobody likes to lose face, of course, but it seems to assume monumental proportions with some Thai people and often leads to very destructive consequences.

I have long believed that a seriously contributory factor to this kind of violence in Thai society is a lack of the effective rule and enforcement of law and equality before and trust in the legal system. No matter how inconsistent and unacceptable it may be in a civilised society, it must seem to many Thai people that in the last resort violence is all that is left. That needs to change in both reality and perception, if resort to violence is to be reduced.

Although I am anything but a supporter, this is at least in part what the more genuine amongst the red brigade are complaining about: The total failure of successive generations of Thai politicians to secure for all Thai people that equality before the law and the right to expect justice, which has quite simply been bought by only those who can afford it. Perhaps when that is achieved we will read far fewer of these horror stories.

I agree - with one further observation - it is not just lack of law enforcement but a complete lack of understanding and comprehension of Buddhism - 'if' they really understood the teachings regarding karma etc. then it would act as a brake - but I have found very few Thais who actually understand the concept - hence they are happy to cheat, lie and, occasionally resort to violence. Then they probably go to the temple, light three candels and three incense sticks and give merit and 'it's ok' - but it isn't. It's horrific.

but, over many years, I've had many more unprovoked confrontations with Westerners than Thais

I never have had a problem with a westerner, but have had a few violent incidents from Thai ladies, not always my Thai lady either.

In the past year

2 incidents with carving knives

1 incidents with beer bottles

1 poisoning

2 assults

I have also witnessed similar incidents with two of my male friends, some more serious, none involving Thai men.

Thailand is a violent country, domestic violence is rife. Did I mention the next door neighbour beating the shit out of her 2 year old with a stick!

My Thai wife pretty much sums it up, "if you don't beat me, I will be beating you."

"Thailand is a violent country, domestic violence is rife" a very accurate summation of life in the realm :)

Edited by krakatoa

I wish you folks would take off your rose coloured glasses and realise that Thailand, although a great place to be, is far from Eutopia.

Street level violence and crime is rife now, was and always will be.

Edited by Blinky Bill

You do not speak or read Thai, but you still seem to believe your are an expert on Thai news.... :D

Most people on this forum can read and speak Thai.

Unfortunately, they can't do it in public. :)

Never said I was, sir :D

I don't agree,

Nothing to do with lack of effective rule,

All to do with the twisted version of Buddhism and the 'face' system, here, combined with only thinking of 'today'

Violence is never a last resort in Thailand, sometimes it is the first resort, but more usually the second or third resort.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I don't agree,

Nothing to do with lack of effective rule,

All to do with the twisted version of Buddhism and the 'face' system, here, combined with only thinking of 'today'

Violence is never a last resort in Thailand, sometimes it is the first resort, but more usually the second or third resort.

It's a combination I guess... but you are right - if they 'really' believed in the teachings of Buddha they would be very aware of the consequencies of their actions - sadly this is not the case in most of my dealing with Thai's.

"you can take a girl out of the bar but... "

Be very careful with that sort of statement. You have no cause to suggest that anyone in this situation was or is a bargirl or that it is anyway relevant to the story.

ummm... i think it was a metaphor

I have lived here for four years in the night Bazaar area and heard of only one murder here.

When I first moved to Thailand I was informed that they had a high murder rate. My informant claimed that it was because they never learn problem solving skills.

Another reason in my opinion is the believe in Buddhism that they will come back again :) .

One of the big factors in my liking the people is they are not afraid to live. Hence they take more risks than a Farong and also take more enjoyment out of life. Just My Opinion :D

nugget :D