Recommend Any Bank In Hong Kong?

Does anyone have any bank recommendations for HK?

I'm looking for an international bank of decent size. So far I've looked at the websites of HSBC, Standard Chartered, and Citigroup. Nothing really fancies my tickle, but I will go with HSBC if nothing better pops up.

Standard Chartered, HSBC, and Bank of China all are first-tier banks for Hong Kong. Citigroup is a second-tier bank within HK.

I used to bank with Standard Chartered... good enough on the deposit account, but failed to stand up for me on a fraud case with the credit cards.

All depends on your needs; for local access, it isn't a big deal; for truly "international" accounts I think you are better off with HSBC or Citigroup.

HSBC Power Vantage Account.

It gives you internet access to your account, and includes a multi currency facility. You can switch funds within your account using the internet, and it is all covered by a single account number - pretty handy.

Edited by Rags

HSBC Power Vantage Account.

It gives you internet access to your account, and includes a multi currency facility.  You can switch funds within your account using the internet, and it is all covered by a single account number - pretty handy.

I checked their website. Although I saw the fees levied for maintaining a balance below X amount, I didn't see the minimum required for opening the account. Do you know what this is?

I'm like grandpa who likes to deposit $100 in a new account first and "see how it feels" before I deposit more money.

I'm afraid I can't recall if there was a minimum amount to open the account. Mine was opened with my first pay cheque so it was not an issue.

You are right that there is a charge if the average balance of your account for the month is below a certain amount (HKD 10,000?). However this average balance takes into account all the different pockets of money within the account, including the checking account, HKD savings and all the currency accounts used.