Smacked Wrist

Went to korat immigration today(may 6th) to collect my first time visa extension

based on marriage and got told off for not attending on the due date in my

passport(last friday april 30th). Said, rather lamely, that I was concerned about

red shirt situation but that did not wash.

Immigration girl went ahead and issued the extension, but told she was putting a note

against the entry which would mean I would not be able to apply for permanent

residence in three years time(not that I am interested)

After this frosty start she thawed out and became friendly with wife and I, even

switched from speaking thai to pefect english, which threw me because I had

been muttering oaths under my breathe up to then.

But as a point of interest is this standard practice as when you exit late at the airport

you only get fined for each day you overstay.

It really is not clear as to what happened.

You say first extension so was this the application from a 90 day visa entry or the 30 day return for decision after making the application?

But as a point of interest is this standard practice as when you exit late at the airport

You do not mention any fine in your post but your "only get fined" indicates you were fined for more than the days between the 30th and the 6th?

It really is not clear as to what happened.

You say first extension so was this the application from a 90 day visa entry or the 30 day return for decision after making the application?

You do not mention any fine in your post but your "only get fined" indicates you were fined for more than the days between the 30th and the 6th?

This was a 30-day return for a decision, having called a couple of days previous to confirm it was ok to come.

No fine involved, only the black mark against my name if I should want to make a future application for permanent residence.

No great beef here, but curious as I mentioned that you can overstay a visa a couple of weeks and

only get fined 500 baht per day and its over and done with.

Application for PR requires you be on extensions of stay for previous 3 years or more and really effects few people. As you did not return within the 30 days allowed your stay was broken at that point. If you had planned PR application and this was your 3rd year it would have been more of an issue for you.