So This Is The Year I Upgrade My Phone

My Nokia N95 is functional but its growing old disgracefully. Things have started to go awry, so it looks like I am in the market for a top of the line smartphone this year.

I am not in a desperate rush but I would like one sooner rather than later. I'm not fussed about price and quite prepared to buy an unlocked phone off the internet if I cant find what I want in Thailand.

Looks like I picked a tough year to buy a phone though, the new Iphone 4G is coming out, as is windowsphone7 at the end of the year (the Dell Lightning is high on my list) and then you have android 2.1 phones like the HTC Evo

Is there anything else coming along that's going to make my decision easier (or harder)?

(edit hmm drat, cant change the topic description to fix my typo)

Edited by quiksilva

It seems all the latest models do everything except cook the evening meal.

A mobile phone to me is a device that allows me to contact others whilst on the move. I have no use for all the extra functions.

Whatever happened to the two soup cans and a length of string device?

Blackberry has its new OS coming out but aside from that I think you got everything covered. I purchased a Touch HD 2 3 months ago and I have already started thinking about what my next upgrade is.

And I agree that the Dell lightning looks very promising. I owned a Dell Axim x51 and although that had no phone capabilities, it was a great device.

In any event, you are best to at least wait 1-2 months to see what Apple comes out with and then what the other companies counter with.

If you have been happy these past years with the N95 -- I had an N93, then an N82 and now an N86 -- then you should seriously hold off until September and get the new Nokia N8. 12 MP camera, GPS, capacitive (iPhone-line) touchscreen, web-centric and the first ever 5-band worldphone.

I was leaning hard toward the new 4G iPhone, but now not so sure. New iPhone will be 30,000 baht. The 16 GB N8 will be about 17,000 baht.

As for other options?

Skip the Dell for sure.

Take a hard look at the HTC Desire, the best smartphone you can buy right now. (iPhone #2).

Only go Blackberry if you really are into texting and IMing.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Next iPhone will probably be release in June or July, so if you're interested might be worth waiting a bit longer. I just bought a Nexus One and prefer it to the iPhone (integration will Google Apps is very good), but it isn't quite as polished or user friendly. HTC - maker of the Nexus - is also going to release their own Android phone, the 'Incredible' sometime, which you would hope would be better than the Nexus.

So, lots happening, maybe worth waiting another 2-3 months to see what happens? The current generation of smartphones is just brilliant though. The location based services in the Nexus are just amazing. Love it.

As your used to Nokia phones i would bet few baht your not going to be happy with windows phones. I did the mistake and just could not get used to them as i could not get my head around them being too used to Nokia menus and OS. Consider also battery life and if your doing lot of email etc then qwerty keypad is must.

Have to admid they all handle the job these days without big differences so if your going to go with new OS then take a good look and test the phones at the shop to see if you like how they work.

For Nokia i would go with E72 which is excellent build quality. Same as E71, had one for two and half years now and not a single scratch in it. Good phone for emails (exchange server) and has GPS with free voice guidance and skype. All i need being heavy user on work emails and the low price compared to others help as well.

If you want touch screen and more iphone style then it might be better to wait until new iphone and the N8 are both out and see which one you like more.

At the top of the list to replace my current phone is the Sony Ericcson Xperia X10. They have a mini and full size version. Sony Ericcson Thailand doesn't have a delivery date & price yet for here so waiting for that information.

I got my iPhone in 1997 and suddenly strolling around the mall looking at all those new phones was very boring - they were years behind.

2010 with Android getting lots of polish and decent hardware looks like the first year where there's some actual competition happening. Nokia has lost the plot and is selling next to none high end phones (they still own the low end market though). More megapixels don't help when you're running Symbian. It's ancient, and it's not going to be suddenly good. Never was good, really.

Windows Phone is definitely _not_ worth waiting for at this point. It looks like a much needed catch-up with others, but that's the best case scenario, and it's only coming out the end of the year. Many things can go awry along the way.

If I were you I'd play around with the top end Android thingies and the iPhone of course. Maybe even check out Blackberry. For myself, I am sad to say hopelessly addicted so the only question for me is - get the 4G iPhone, or skip it? (I have a 3GS, it's just fantastic). The thing about the iPhone is its usability. There are so many details put into this device it's amazing.

i don't mind to throw more sticks on the fire but, man, this is bad ass (particularly if you are a Nokia lover):

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n8

Will this the first Nokia over the last few years that doesn't suck? I am not holding my breath.

They are advertising "Full web browsing of real web pages" which is a bit like a guest house advertising hot showers.

I have always been of the opinion that if I wanted a camera, I would buy a camera. If I wanted a GPS, I would buy a GPS and if I wanted a computer, I would buy a computer.

I had a really good laugh when I saw the first 7-11 in Bangkok. I was sure they were stupid to try that. No way could they compete. It appears that I was wrong about super phones too. I was sure they were just a flash in the pan. Why would anyone pay big money for a computer with a screen and keyboard so small that you need a magnifying glass to see them?

Actually, even though I was wrong, I still feel that the requirements for a phone are a long battery life and good audio qualities. I have found the camera handy but the huge megapixel capabilities are overkill. What I don't need in a phone are WiFi, 3G or 4G, GPS or a touch screen. Checking my email with my phone is useful but I wait until I have access to a computer to answer them.

Hmm thanks gents plenty of food for thought there... the looks like a toss up between the HTC Desire and the new Iphone - N8 looks nice but I'm in the mood for a change - as advised I think I will hang on for a few more months -- Im sure the trusty N95 will hang in there for a bit longer yet.

Looking out for a HTC Desire myself. Currently using a HTC TyTN II but absolutely sick with Windows Mobile. Heard to OS has been completely revamped since but will take their word for it!

Not sure what it is about the iPhone that puts me off - by all accounts the 3GS seems like a decent bit of kit. But given a lot of my business is done using Google Apps the Android OS feels like a better fit.

... HTC - maker of the Nexus - is also going to release their own Android phone, the 'Incredible' sometime, which you would hope would be better than the Nexus.

AFAIK the "Droid Incredible" will be a CDMA phone and as such useless in Thailand. After the HTC Desire the next big GSM based phone will be HTC EVO.

Agree that Nokia and Windows are dying in the high-end market. I also think the Blackberry will lose marketshare as more and more Android phones with a hardware keyboard becomes available. The future will be between iPhone and Android.

I have been looking around and cant find any details about the EVO using the GSM network,

EDIT Ok it was once listed as being on GSm but its not. See below from http://www.redmondpie.com/htc-evo-4g-vs-ne...desire-9140545/

UPDATE 1: We have missed the “Battery and Power” bits for HTC EVO 4G which is removable 1500 mAh, also EVO 4G runs on CDMA network only and not GSM as listed in the table above.

So it looks like its between an HTC Desire and the Iphone 4G

Cheers n beers

Quik

Edited by quiksilva

How times a change hey, anyone remember one of the first mobile phones, the brick we called it...Motorola Dynatac..

But I wouldnt have wanted to have to carry one of the other mobile phones around... :)

post-90977-1273229319_thumb.jpg

post-90977-1273229421_thumb.jpg

Edited by MB1

I have been looking around and cant find any details about the EVO using the GSM network,

EDIT Ok it was once listed as being on GSm but its not. See below from http://www.redmondpie.com/htc-evo-4g-vs-ne...desire-9140545/

UPDATE 1: We have missed the “Battery and Power” bits for HTC EVO 4G which is removable 1500 mAh, also EVO 4G runs on CDMA network only and not GSM as listed in the table above.

So it looks like its between an HTC Desire and the Iphone 4G

Cheers n beers

Quik

I don't know why I always assumed the EVO was a GSM phone. Bummer! Let's hope HTC will make a GSM equivalent!

How times a change hey, anyone remember one of the first mobile phones, the brick we called it...Motorola Dynatac..

But I wouldnt have wanted to have to carry one of the other mobile phones around... :)

Yes, I remember the old bricks. This is what a friend of mine used to lug around mid 80s.

post-70239-1273233090_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear about the Nokia N8. I too have been thinking about upgrading, my 3 year old Nokia N73 to either a N97mini or the X6.

Guess I'll now wait until the N8 comes out.

I got my iPhone in 1997

Nikster, you must have found a very early prototype in a bar... :D

Phil

heeeheee heee I subsequently corrected that, so it's not in my post anymore, proof I am getting old, mixing up the decades... :D

Oh - I guess my edit never made it on the site, oh well... 1997 it is then. Here's what it looked like :)

nokia%207110.jpg

Edited by nikster

Yes, I remember the old bricks. This is what a friend of mine used to lug around mid 80s.

post-70239-1273233090_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear about the Nokia N8. I too have been thinking about upgrading, my 3 year old Nokia N73 to either a N97mini or the X6.

Guess I'll now wait until the N8 comes out.

I used to have an Ericsson that looked like that in 1984, as I could not get a land line ( it took 7 years..).We never carried it around, it must have weighed 5 or 6 kilos... I was number 25 in Chiang mai, and paid a fortune for it, although i don't remember how much exactly...

Phil

Edited by pilou

Reasoning that it will take forever to get an iphone 4G here with full access to apps etc, I have opted for the HTC Desire, in fact I have brought it online from the UK from a place called handtec.co.uk who ship worldwide.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone :)

Edited by quiksilva

Reasoning that it will take forever to get an iphone 4G here with full access to apps etc, I have opted for the HTC Desire, in fact I have brought it online from the UK from a place called handtec.co.uk who ship worldwide.

Good decision on the HTC. I'd be curious to know how much you paid for it, including shipping and duties.

Edited by Phil Conners

Sure,

HTC Desire (SIM Free/Unlocked, Graphite) + HTC Official Car Charger (Micro-USB) = £355.34

HTC Desire Pull Tab Official Pouch (PO S520, Black) = £10.99

HTC Desire Screen Protector = £2.99

Goods Total= £369.32

Shipping Total (Rest of World - (UPS/Fedex)) =£39.90

Tax Total £0.00

Order Total = £409.22 which according to coinmill today is THB 19,489.75, and thats supposed to be at a slightly higher price too, due to the limited supplies in the UK or you can preorder them at £329.49 exc VAT, instead of the £348.85 exc VAT.

I knew I paid more but did so because I don't feel comfortable leaving orders hanging around with internet purchases, when I buy it I want it shipped and in tracking as fast as possible.. and also because I just had to have it... :)

I will let you know how much duty costs but could be about THB 27,000 all in, (with import at 30% and then VAT on top at 7%) which I think is about what you'd pay here, but I get it now, and still a petty good deal with official car charger etc.

Edited by quiksilva

5% would be great and yup will do!

Now you've done it. I was pretty set on the SE Xperia X10 but after your posts went researching the Desire/Legend (reviews, youtube) have to admit that I'm leaning towards it now. :) I gather it supports GSM in Thailand?