So This Is The Year I Upgrade My Phone

How times a change hey, anyone remember one of the first mobile phones, the brick we called it...Motorola Dynatac..

But I wouldnt have wanted to have to carry one of the other mobile phones around... :D

Yes, I remember the old bricks. This is what a friend of mine used to lug around mid 80s.

post-70239-1273233090_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear about the Nokia N8. I too have been thinking about upgrading, my 3 year old Nokia N73 to either a N97mini or the X6.

Guess I'll now wait until the N8 comes out.

I used to build networks for both Vodafone and Cellnet/Motorola in the UK during the late 80's and early 90's before I went expat to a lot of countries working for Motorola and then later contracting and I have a similar one to that to start with.

When I was in Thailand building the GSM network for DTAC all the managers had digital mobiles (and some of the girlfriends/wives) and to get the Nong Khai site up and running I had to go down to the street and use a caal box to talk to my mate in the switch to download the site and turn it on.

I was just a techie building the network so why would I need a Gsm phone to test the system anyway?

Ahhh the good old days when the gravy train was going flat out and money was just washing around in the system. :):D :D

HTC Desire (SIM Free/Unlocked, Graphite) + HTC Official Car Charger (Micro-USB) = £355.34

HTC Desire Pull Tab Official Pouch (PO S520, Black) = £10.99

HTC Desire Screen Protector = £2.99

Goods Total= £369.32

Shipping Total (Rest of World - (UPS/Fedex)) =£39.90

Tax Total £0.00

Order Total = £409.22 which according to coinmill today is THB 19,489.75, and thats supposed to be at a slightly higher price too, due to the limited supplies in the UK or you can preorder them at £329.49 exc VAT, instead of the £348.85 exc VAT.

Just to update the final costs, UPS told me that my phone will be delivered tomorrow, final duty will be THB 1,622

So all up the phone, official car charger, official case, and screen protector + shipping and duty, will set me back a bit over THB 21,000.

If you just buy the phone and ship it over at the best rates you could be looking at a total bill of approx THB 18,000

Edited by quiksilva

Thanks for the update. So assuming the reports that you can buy a Desire in MBK for 17,200 it's hardly worth the hassle huh. I guess I'll have to either wait until Pattaya one day perhaps catches up, or wait for the fighting in Bangkok to subside and drive up and get me one myself. I already have a HTC Tattoo so it's not a matter of great urgency.

Edited by Phil Conners

The Desire's I saw in MBK last week were retailing at 20,900, as for hassle seeing as I could do it all from home I dont think there was any for me, except the long shipping time. Buying online is as convenient as it gets, although if I had to do it again, I would probably buy at the local online retailer and get in my hands quicker.

Edited by quiksilva