Teenage Briton Arrested For Drug Trafficking

george

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What it's down to is two diametrically opposed views of how the justice system should work.

One says "Everybody is human, and deserves a chance to be brought back to a normal life. It is not only more humane, but also the rational thing to do, because it will reduce the long term costs to society." The other says "An eye for an eye. You did the crime, now do the time." It is the principle of punishment.

This view of things is something that separates a modern society from a medieval one. I subscribe to the first one, because society benefits by trying to rehabilitate everyone who experts deem it is possible to rehabilitate,'. The rest should be made to cause no more harm, by life-long lockup if necessary, but readjustment must be a priority.

If punishment is the priority, then we create a climate where the principle of "revenge" is accepted, and even seen as a guiding principle for conflict solution.

I don't desire this type of society, or world. It perpetuates wars and conflicts, and contributes to larger injustice, which in turn causes more crime.

A 19-year old is still possible to change, but Bangkok Hilton is hardly likely to make him a sounder and more productive member of society. As for the suffering part, he'll be sure to have his share.

What it's down to is two diametrically opposed views of how the justice system should work.

One says "Everybody is human, and deserves a chance to be brought back to a normal life. It is not only more humane, but also the rational thing to do, because it will reduce the long term costs to society." The other says "An eye for an eye. You did the crime, now do the time." It is the principle of punishment.

This view of things is something that separates a modern society from a medieval one. I subscribe to the first one, because society benefits by trying to rehabilitate everyone who experts deem it is possible to rehabilitate,'. The rest should be made to cause no more harm, by life-long lockup if necessary, but readjustment must be a priority.

If punishment is the priority, then we create a climate where the principle of "revenge" is accepted, and even seen as a guiding principle for conflict solution.

I don't desire this type of society, or world. It perpetuates wars and conflicts, and contributes to larger injustice, which in turn causes more crime.

A 19-year old is still possible to change, but Bangkok Hilton is hardly likely to make him a sounder and more productive member of society. As for the suffering part, he'll be sure to have his share.

Yes but can you ever influence change in a place like Thailand?.

I doubt even the king could change the judicial system.

I think the point is ,dont break the law in countries the are widely known to have fairly savage justice systems,that certainly arent devised around rehabilitation.

Arab states,Singapore, etc etc.

The boy may have had the mental age of a fourteen year old,but i can pretty vividly remember 30 years ago (at 14 or so)the same type of experiences were had by Aus and NZ trafickers and the impact the Tv images had on me.

So what does everyone think....send him back to Uk to do his time?

Why should the thais pay his stay?.

Maybe the UK system that created his ILK should have him back for REHAB.

I would bet Recividism for sure for this guy.

I am very unlikely to change the justice system in Thailand. I also realize their reality could not be further from the one I grew up in. I still do not think revenge should be the guiding principle for a modern justice system, and I hope Thailand will realize this as well.

Reality is, he WILL be sent back to the UK after a few years due to extradition deals between Thailand and the UK. During these few years in Thai prison, he will get mental scars that will make him even more unfit for society.

Then again, some people make it through.

I know a guy, ex-criminal and ex-heroinist, who robbed a jewellery shop in Bangkok in the 80s and was imprisoned here for 5 years before being extradited to Sweden, where he continued to serve his crime until he was pardoned by the Thai King. He now works with helping ex-criminal kids who want to lead a straight-and-narrow life, and making a very decent job of it too... If he had not been pardoned, he would still have been in prison in Thailand.

Thats great

good to here some good news stories

I know a guy, ex-criminal and ex-heroinist, who robbed a jewellery shop in Bangkok in the 80s and was imprisoned here for 5 years before being extradited to Sweden, where he continued to serve his crime until he was pardoned by the Thai King. He now works with helping ex-criminal kids who want to lead a straight-and-narrow life, and making a very decent job of it too... If he had not been pardoned, he would still have been in prison in Thailand.

I totally agree that drug dealers get caught and punished, but 99 years for a 19 year old is totally out of range!

Sorry ... I disagree.

What about putting more efforts into catching and sentencing to life imprisonment the drug producers?

Don't get me wrong, I think the dealers should be severely punished, but opposite to a rape or other crime, the drug consumers normally take them voluntarily.

In consequence, you should lock away everybody producing or selling tobacco or alcohol, those destroy lifes too, just slower and best, legally.

Hang the peice of scum.

Extremely useful and cogitated post. Now go back and play with your toys, will you. Let the adults continue the discussion.

Besides, your spelling is fascinating. 20% of your post is wrong. The rest doesn't make sense.

I see your reasoning about victim before perpetrator, but I do not agree... Your reasoning is still based on that revenge is something like a human right, the victim's right to see the perpetrator be punished, and the sense of "justice" this should bring to the victim.

Does anyone feel better about the fact that this British guy gets locked away for the rest of his life? Does it bring a smile to your face when you think about it, or peace of mind when you sleep at night? To anyone else's? I am not so sure.

Of course perpetrators who are deemed likely to be repeat offenders should be on a safe distance from potential victims... but I still do not think the justice system of a modern state should feed off vindictiveness as a guiding principle.

You have probably heard my arguments before, just as I have with yours... so maybe I'll just call it a day here.

What about putting more efforts into catching and sentencing to life imprisonment the drug producers?

They're harder to arrest and bring to trial because they pay too much "insurance". You can say what you like about Mr Thaksin's alleged "shoot the ######ers first and worry about the paperwork later" policy, but it solved the corruption problem.

Don't get me wrong, I think the dealers should be severely punished, but opposite to a rape or other crime, the drug consumers normally take them voluntarily.
Maybe at first ... but "voluntarily" goes out the window very quickly with hard drugs. I've never met a junkie who didn't wish he or she wasn't an addict.
In consequence, you should lock away everybody producing or selling tobacco or alcohol, those destroy lifes too, just slower and best, legally.

"Big Tobacco" would be collectively prosecuted as drug pushers if governments didn't reap billions of dollars anually from taxes. Nicotine is far more addictive and much harder to kick than heroin. (So are barbiturates, but they're legal too.)

I guess that we agree on the problem to a certain extend, rod, but I feel more like meadish_sweetball to try and save the situation for all of us. Answering inhumanity with cruelty does not really make sense. Maybe I go to far now, but your eye for an eye policy is perfectly proven wrong by the jews and arabs. It is so wrong that it might even cost your ass being whoever, wherever...

Every human being has a good side, and if they prove differently, and are not able to cope with society, ok, we lock them away.

How many mistakes did you do in your life?

Look at the germans, they really do efforts since '45 to re-educate wrong-doers. They failed big time a few times, but still don't give up! They put their energy in better re-education! What a respectable effort.

Yes, death sentence and no-trial solutions are quite effective, but you'll piss your pants as much as anybody if it hits you due to an unlucky situation. Did you know that innocent people have been executed? Would you like to be one?

There is no way that I will ever accept cruelty, brutality or unfairness as a solution, it would put me onto the same level as those who commited it in the first place.

To get back to the initial thread, if you want this guy locked away forever, add all the mini-mart and supermarket owners and sellers to it, they all destroy lifes! Push the bar owners in front.

If you want to fight drugs, you are fighting on the wrong level. Like scratching yourself because a mosquito bit you.

if he was a hardened criminal ,fair enough ,shoot the c**t. if he was a kiddy <deleted>**er ,fair enough shoot the c**t. this BOY has the mental age of a 14 year old (remember the <deleted> you beleived as a 14 year old ????) dont tell me he dreamt up this money making scam himself !!!!! somebody is behind this , there is nothing more certain . either he is a sacrificial lamb (set up by his supplier) so the authorities look good (which i personally beleive to be the case ) or he worked all this international trafficking stuff out himself !!!!!. either way he needs to be imprisoned for a lengthy spell (after all punishment is as much to do with detterence as punishment ) but, the boys mental age and high probability of being set up should surely be taken into account .

Falux,

Just because I don't agree with you there's no need to get sore is there?

I say hang the piece of scum, the message will soon get accross you can't turn up with drugs in Thailand.

It is a policy that has worked wonders in Signapore.

I for one want to hear less bleating about 'poor misunderstood criminals' and more about protecting the rest of society.

I believe it is a human right to expect your children to go to schools free of drugs.

As for ssit like this:

is that a fact?

Like drug pushers don't hook their victims in by supplying cheap drugs to start the market.

And as Possom said

this BOY has the mental age of a 14 year old (remember the <deleted> you beleived as a 14 year old ????)

Yes we know how vulnerable 14 year olds are, the kind of <deleted> 14 year olds believe is that drugs don't <deleted> their heads and their lives, or that it is kool to run with the crowd. So what is wrong with hanging the b@stards who would push drugs on them?

Oh but that would be wrong wouldn't it?!

Like get real and get looking after the real 14 year olds who need protecting.

Hang this piece of scum and use the money saved to help people who need keeping off drugs rather than cynical b@astards who see other people's addictions as a money making oportunity.

One less drug pusher is always good news.

Illegal drugs do kill people.

And Tobbaco and Alcohol account for 97% of all drug related deaths.

But that's ok cos governments tax those products to the tune of Billions of Dollars a year?

There will always be illegal drugs, a lot of kids may look at the older generation stumbling through life in a drunken haze, and maybe , just maybe, they may want to try something different................

And if that something different was taxed by goverments, then they could try it without the fear of going to Jail.

People will always go to jail if they go against government taxed drugs, and if anybody thinks it is not all about money, try making and selling your own alcohol.

You will be jailed for that also. ( if you do not pay tax)

I believe it is a human right to expect your children to go to schools free of drugs.

As for ssit like this:

is that a fact?

Like drug pushers don't hook their victims in by supplying cheap drugs to start the market.

Isn't selling drugs to children, or forcing others to take drugs another issue?

How can one go as far as to say bringing a few thousand ecstasies into Thailand is to make schools more dangerous or to force people taking them? Most cases I know are people looking for them(drugs).

A small mistake like that means life? That is totally bullshit! 100% hypocrisy!

Unsurprisingly, there are enough hypocrites in this world to support these sorts of phenomena.

Hang this piece of scum and use the money saved to help people who need keeping off drugs rather than cynical b@astards who see other people's addictions as a money making oportunity.

Do you include Cigarette manufacturers and Brewers of alcohol in this, after all, they are responsible for 97% of all drug related deaths.

And why not string all the governments up that make Billions of Dollars a year from the 2 drugs that kill a couple of Million people a year worldwide?

Have another beer, and a smoke. oooops, no of course, you are against drugs, sorry.......... :o

Have another beer, and a smoke. oooops, no of course, you are against drugs, sorry..........

I do not advocate any drugs, alcohol and cigarrettes included, I don't smoke, but I do drink.

But I'm not going to fudge the drug issue by confusing drugs that are banned with drugs that are not.

Yes it might verywell be better if all drugs, alcohol and tabaco included where banned, but they are not. Deliberately fudging the issue on what is and is not allowed only increases the opposition to banning narcotics, and does nonthing to address alcohol and tabaco.

I agree 10000% with Begs.

EVERYTHING THAT IS BAD FOR YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FORTHWITH!!!!

The sooner Cliff Richard gives up his singing career (sad as that may be) and get's into politics the better, so HE can sort out this crazy messed up world.

Can I ask just what you are on?

Harry Webb in politics? The mind boggles but he does bring a whole new meaning to criminal records though.

I agree 10000% with Begs.

EVERYTHING THAT IS BAD FOR YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FORTHWITH!!!!

The sooner Cliff Richard gives up his singing career (sad as that may be) and get's into politics the better, so HE can sort out this crazy messed up world.

Can I ask just what you are on?

Harry Webb in politics? The mind boggles but he does bring a whole new meaning to criminal records though.

I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for you.

Don't.

Ok, I'll try my best.

My Thai GF just informed me that there used to be a huge problem with drugs in Thailand, and that the severe punishments dramatically lowered the problems of the issue. She also confirmed that thai dealers do not get lifetime, but execution.

I wonder when the producers will be caught, or is that, for some reason, not possible?

Ok, I'll try my best.

My Thai GF just informed me that there used to be a huge problem with drugs in Thailand, and that the severe punishments dramatically lowered the problems of the issue. She also confirmed that thai dealers do not get lifetime, but execution.

I wonder when the producers will be caught, or is that, for some reason, not possible

If that's your best shot I'm afraid it's not good enough.

Can you please enlighten me as to what any of what you have posted has to do with Cliff Richard and his making of criminal records?

So kind.