Chaengwattana Immigration

That would be the South entry - the rear is covered parking area entry. But you can use the main/front/East entry and easily walk to Immigration - just turn left in the huge open area.

Today's drive from Sathorn Road to Chaengwattana took from 10.00 am till 11.00 am, (30 minutes of it on Sathorn). The driver took us to the wrong building initially. We collected our queue ticket at 11.00 am and saw the officer at about 11.40, all processed by 11.50. Collected a queue ticket for the re-entry permits before lunch and then after lunch (12.00-13.00) waited about 30 minutes to be processed for re-entry permits.

The system certainly seems to have improved, and next time I would get there earlier, so that I can do both extension of stay and re-entry permit in the same session. My partner's application (exactly the same as mine) took longer because the officer was slower and queried his 3 month time deposit, claiming a savings passbook was the requirement. This was later overruled by her superior, and the TMD was accepted; I faced no such problem, and my process was very fast indeed.

• 11 months later...

Just completed my annual Extension of Stay for Retirement. Arrived at Chaengwattana at just after 9 am, and my number was called at 9.10 am. The officer did not like my fixed deposit certified true copy and letter from HSBC, but after speaking to the bank they agreed that it was OK. (It has been accepted this way 4 times previously.) I think there was some misunderstanding about what a fixed deposit is - but once they were convinced funds were not used for three months, they seemed OK with it. (All this information is quite clearly available on the deposit certificate - funds in on 10 February 2011, funds maturing on 10 May 2011, but it did seem to be a bit beyond them.) Thereafter, processed by 10.30 am. Then queued for the Re-entry ticket, and all that was completed by 10.50 am.

In future I will use a savings passbook, even though the officer in charge said the 3 month deposit method would be acceptable next year. I just don't need that added tension, and having to argue the case with them etc.

I don't know whether this is a new requirement, or whether I just omitted to include it this time, but having obtained my Extension of Stay, I then applied for a Re-entry visa. Whislt I was getting the ticket for the queue for that the officer there told me I needed a copy of my passport, (together with my TM.8 application form). So having got the ticket, we zipped off to photocopy the passports. I thought that previously I just submitted the application form, (and no further copies of the passport for this procedure).