2nd Pick Up

I'm guessing at least one part of my question will have been discussed many times before, if so sorry about that and please point me in the right direction.

I'm think about buying a second hand pickup for my place up country. I live in Bkk and I travel up North to my house a lot. The trouble is it takes around 8 hours to drive there and I can fly there in around an hour. Hence buying a pickup to have located up there.

I'm looking for an extra cab / king cab or 4 door, second hand. I've seen 2005 Fords around for 320k to 340k and a few Nissan's around for mid 200k. Question one, what's a reasonable price for early 2000 model pick up, diesel and manual?

Also, can some explain the requirements for insurance, tax and registration please.

If I buy one in Bkk, does it have to be re registered up country?

Thanks, Craighj

To be totally honest more than a little disappointed with the lack of responses.

Especially given "members" always have a comment about everything!

It might be that the header was incorrect 2nd pick instead of 2nd hand pick. For that I am sorry!

Though I would really appreciate an answer on what I need to do with insurance, tax and registration :)

I usually use this site to check on prices: one2car

Unfortunately it's in Thai. But if you don't know how to read Thai, I've set it up to start at the brand page. Just click on the brand you're interested in and keep going on the sub categories. For instance, Ford-Ranger-Double Cab and you will see the cars for sale and the prices.

For insurance, I have an agent, that some friend of mine used and recommended to me. However there is Thai Visa Insurance, just click on "Insurance" at the toolbar at the top of the page and you can continue on for a quote.

You can register the car in your name when you buy it, do a search here, there are quite a few topics about the requirements.

If the car will be permanently "upcountry", then it might be better to register it there. Think I've read somewhere that's actually a requirement these days. The local Land Transportation Office, where the car will reside, is the one that will help you with this. This is also were you will pay the yearly tax and compulsory insurance on the car. As a side note, I actually have a BKK registered car and reside in Chonburi, have not had any problems so far, reason I guess is laziness and supposedly BKK registered cars fetch a better resale value. And I can pay my yearly tax and compulsory insurance at the Chonburi LTO.