Avenue Plans?

toenail

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I mentioned they should go for the office space market, my gut feeling is "Nana By the Sea" as their best bet to salvage this place.

The amount of rent being earned from the night market cannot be that much. Does anyone know how much rent they are paying? I am curious.

I spoke to someone and they mentioned that the owners of the Avenue were somewhat averse to having a nightlife oriented place. I think they need to give in to the call of the punter. The place is in a great location, nice design, has a movie theater, bowling alley, parking and karaoke. Some of the positive things which add-on nicely to the nightlife and the "date of the night."

TheWalkingMan

Even though I mentioned they should go for the office space market, my gut feeling is "Nana By the Sea" as their best bet to salvage this place.

The amount of rent being earned from the night market cannot be that much. Does anyone know how much rent they are paying? I am curious.

I spoke to someone and they mentioned that the owners of the Avenue were somewhat averse to having a nightlife oriented place. I think they need to give in to the call of the punter. The place is in a great location, nice design, has a movie theater, bowling alley, parking and karaoke. Some of the positive things which add-on nicely to the nightlife and the "date of the night."

TheWalkingMan

Just curious, in this fantasy, do you perhaps have a much smaller waistline and more hair on your head?

Edited by Chunky1

It's actually been kind of fun to watch the Avenue degenerate. I knew from the start Orangerie wouldn't make it. Now the mobile phone businesses, that's a cry for help. One thing I do find kind of sad. They had a really good ice cream shop (Thai brand, forget the name) there which is now closed. If they had waited for the cheesy night market, the increased foot traffic right at their door would have probably saved them.

Another whinge. The one thing I might buy at the flea infested market would be interesting T-shirts. The interesting ones are all in tiny Thai sizes (not only there but we are talking about the Avenue). Isn't this market targeted mostly for tourists? Why can't they get it together to produce interesting t-shirts in LARGER sizes? Surely they would increase sales and this being Thailand, they could and would charge more for bigger ones. No, I am not talking about the standard copy ones, but the more custom items. Sometimes the lack of business creativity (COPY COPY COPY! FISH MASSAGE FISH MASSAGE FISH MASSAGE) I see among Thai entrepreneurs amazes me. I reckon its the education system that is the root.

Edited by Jingthing

The night market is OK for me but what is behind me is that shopowners here in Thailand always think that they also own the sidewalk and even the road in front of their shop.Why is it allowed to put obstacles on the sidewalk or prohibit people from parking in front of their shop on the public road?

Can't they just keep their business on their own premises?

Parking may be allowed: depends on the colors painted on the sidewalk (red-white or yellow-white). If there is no color, parking is allowed.

Using the sidewalk isn't allowed, but as long as nobody is complaining..............

• 2 years later...

Looks like the owners of The Avenue have decided to go the entertainment route. There is a huge poster sign which says something like Entertainment Complex coming soon.

The Orangy By The Sea location is now a place called The Sugar Shack Lounge. The owner is aiming for the higher end market so no Sangsom based drinks crying.gif. Wine starts at 280 baht a glass, but I am not a wine drinker so I cannot comment on good or bad. Cocktails go for 300 baht and up, I think. The place has a deck and the tables are not bunched up together so having a quiet chat with whoever is not a problem. The owner seemed like an OK guy and was more than willing to have a chat.

OISHI opened and they seem to get a little business but they did layout a bit of cash to get the place up to standard so we will see what happens in the future.

Above Shenanigans a Thai Restaurant which has the motto "Clay pot chicken" or "The secret of chicken" or something like that.

The Magic show - which I posted about earlier.

The night market seems to have been put out of its misery.

So will these new shops be the beginning of the resurrection of The Avenue or will it continue to be on life support. Only time will tell.

been there yesterday for the first time in maybe a year. Was shocked how deserted the place was. Went to Villa market, I think there were 2 other customers at that time, 1 pm.

Looks like the owners of The Avenue have decided to go the entertainment route. There is a huge poster sign which says something like Entertainment Complex coming soon.

The Orangy By The Sea location is now a place called The Sugar Shack Lounge. The owner is aiming for the higher end market so no Sangsom based drinks crying.gif. Wine starts at 280 baht a glass, but I am not a wine drinker so I cannot comment on good or bad. Cocktails go for 300 baht and up, I think. The place has a deck and the tables are not bunched up together so having a quiet chat with whoever is not a problem. The owner seemed like an OK guy and was more than willing to have a chat.

OISHI opened and they seem to get a little business but they did layout a bit of cash to get the place up to standard so we will see what happens in the future.

Above Shenanigans a Thai Restaurant which has the motto "Clay pot chicken" or "The secret of chicken" or something like that.

So will these new shops be the beginning of the resurrection of The Avenue or will it continue to be on life support. Only time will tell.

Yes same owners of Soho Square have acquired it and plans are still be worked out for an indoor ice skating rink

Yes same owners of Soho Square have acquired it and plans are still be worked out for an indoor ice skating rink

The guy from Soho Square? I met him once and he seemed like a good guy. An ice skating rink... The local clinics/hospitals should do a bang up business with all the upcoming rink related injuries.

Well, a much better idea in this climate than an outdoor ice skating ring tongue.png Even better than an outdoor mall...

Ice rink, entertainment center, theme bars... nothing will bring in business up to its potential/max until a decent predistian crossing is placed in front of the Avenue complex. Trying to cross 2nd Road in front of the Avenue is like playing "Thailand" roulette. It becomes tiring and many people avoid it due to the difficulty of access.

Ice rink, entertainment center, theme bars... nothing will bring in business up to its potential/max until a decent predistian crossing is placed in front of the Avenue complex. Trying to cross 2nd Road in front of the Avenue is like playing "Thailand" roulette. It becomes tiring and many people avoid it due to the difficulty of access.

Yeah that will work :)

Just like the 50 or so other pedestrian crossings with traffic lights they installed throughout Pattaya where even the BIB don't even stop when the lights are red.

Rather than start a new thread about this, which I still might in good time, what IS that bizarre hiso chicken restaurant on the top floor over Shenanigans? I did walk by and peeked in. No menu outside. Fancy tables. Bizarre marketing signage. No customers. I just didn't have the energy to walk in there and ask questions and I wasn't in the mood for that kind of scene. But OK they clearly specialize in some kind of chicken thing. Is it Chinese? Is it Thai? Is it Thai Chinese? Is it a joke? My impression is they are targeting the the Thai Chinese hiso market. So what is it? Anyone brave enough to actually eat there, whatever it is?

How about some greenery, an outdoor park. Someplace to sit and relax? Prat Hill is nice, but not something to walk to every day. Pattaya doesn't have many outdoor quiet areas. I know, tourist places don't make money if people are paying to rent a chair, but I think it would be good for the city. Don't want a building on every square inch of ground

• Like 1

Yeah that will work smile.png

Just like the 50 or so other pedestrian crossings with traffic lights they installed throughout Pattaya where even the BIB don't even stop when the lights are red.

Do they ever operate those pedestrian crossing signals? I've only seen them flashing amber for the last 1.5 years and they've never changed to red when I've tried to use one.

Do they ever operate those pedestrian crossing signals? I've only seen them flashing amber for the last 1.5 years and they've never changed to red when I've tried to use one.

It seems to be yet another of those great ideas that turned out to be not-so-great so now they all seem perpetually on yellow blink.

Rather than start a new thread about this, which I still might in good time, what IS that bizarre hiso chicken restaurant on the top floor over Shenanigans? I did walk by and peeked in. No menu outside. Fancy tables. Bizarre marketing signage. No customers. I just didn't have the energy to walk in there and ask questions and I wasn't in the mood for that kind of scene. But OK they clearly specialize in some kind of chicken thing. Is it Chinese? Is it Thai? Is it Thai Chinese? Is it a joke? My impression is they are targeting the the Thai Chinese hiso market. So what is it? Anyone brave enough to actually eat there, whatever it is?

I haven't seen it but someone mentioned clay pots, so I'm guessing it's traditional Thai chicken roasted in clay pots sold many many places on roadsides (not BBQ). They also sell them in my local marked. Aroy-aroy, but hardly upscale. (The dish, as I said, I haven't seen the place so I don't know about that)