Shakedown Of Cigarette Smuggler - The Ugly Truth

onlycw

P.S.: No Red channel / Green channel. Not even Customs personnel. Armed

Soldiers in black uniforms - looking for guns, I thought.

But they are quick to seize an opportunity. Pay 44,XXX Baht and silly you if you fall for this one.

Watch Cambodian con artists descent on any foreigner coming by car or bus. They have fake ID, cross the border with zero formalities at will. Then operate on either side...

When there is neither Red nor Green channel, it's real simple to apply the published rules.

Enough said - anything goes, never forget that!

Scottish elders rebuking sin - well done! Should I pour ash over my head and should mea culpa?

Tales of Suvarnabhumi airport shake downs come to mind.

4 cartons = stupid but not the crime of the century. And now tell me are they throwing some old woman into the slammer over this until the 18,700 (first 44,XXX) is paid? Oh, it's the racial thing again? Bein Thai versus being a farang? Or having an ATM card which can be maxed out?

Wait until you get blackmailed and driven by armed guys to an ATM. Wait till you have to sign stuff and have no clue what you are signing. Wait and see that they won't let you make that phone call to the embassy - then let's discuss this again.

The economic and other stupidity of it all (360 Baht purchase price, what a bargain) is kinda obvious, isn't it? Rub it in, you who won't make mistakes.

We all make mistakes, but then afterwards don't start something which suggests the things you suggest, with a header above that makes it look like a farang extortion story. The only thing right about that was: "The ugly truth" , for you that is..

weather from laos . malaysia , cambodia or myanmar the import limit of ciggaretes into thailand is 200

What's the weather go to do with it? :)

Ok, I'll break the mould. Although you're dick, op, it's clear the system stinks and is all about the money, as it always is. The powers that be don't give smeg about the 'smuggling' aspect or they'd haul his arse in jail. For the sake of tourists and tourism, how about simply confiscating the cigs and perhaps issuing a fine that is more proper and not taking the piss? If he had a suitcase full he's a smuggler. A carton or two extra for a legal thing... c'mon, it's all a bit childish, eh, what what?

P.S.: No Red channel / Green channel. Not even Customs personnel. Armed

Soldiers in black uniforms - looking for guns, I thought.

But they are quick to seize an opportunity. Pay 44,XXX Baht and silly you if you fall for this one.

Watch Cambodian con artists descent on any foreigner coming by car or bus. They have fake ID, cross the border with zero formalities at will. Then operate on either side...

When there is neither Red nor Green channel, it's real simple to apply the published rules.

Enough said - anything goes, never forget that!

What's the channel colour got to do with it?

Would the you (the 50 year old woman?) have declared the ciggies if there was a red channel? You would still have had to pay the fine if you did. And if you wouldn't have declared them you still got caught smuggling and paid the fine.

You're guilty. Case closed.

weather from laos . malaysia , cambodia or myanmar the import limit of ciggaretes into thailand is 200

Ok, I'll break the mould. Although you're dick, op, it's clear the system stinks and is all about the money, as it always is. The powers that be don't give smeg about the 'smuggling' aspect or they'd haul his arse in jail. For the sake of tourists and tourism, how about simply confiscating the cigs and perhaps issuing a fine that is more proper and not taking the piss? If he had a suitcase full he's a smuggler. A carton or two extra for a legal thing... c'mon, it's all a bit childish, eh, what what?

So what other laws do you suggest we should break when we feel like it, and who should decide how much you could bend a law until it would be considered a crime?

Smuggling fags into Thailand. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:cheesy:

Don't pay the fine, go to jail and see what the Thais there try to smuggle into you. :)

Darwin's theory proved right yet again.

Edited by khundon

So what other laws do you suggest we should break when we feel like it, and who should decide how much you could bend a law until it would be considered a crime?

Speeding is always a popular one.

Tax evasion too

Jaywalking?

How much money do you actually save smuggling cigarettes into Thailand?

Seems pointless to me.

From saudi to Thailand we have friends that do the same to save 25Baht a pack. But I am sure they do not know the laws or he would not do it. He has plenty of money plus his wife is Thai the one who actually does the smuggling.

Scottish elders rebuking sin - well done! Should I pour ash over my head and should mea culpa?

4 cartons = stupid but not the crime of the century. And now tell me are they throwing some old woman into the slammer over this until the 18,700 (first 44,XXX) is paid? Oh, it's the racial thing again? Bein Thai versus being a farang? Or having an ATM card which can be maxed out?

Wait until you get blackmailed and driven by armed guys to an ATM. Wait till you have to sign stuff and have no clue what you are signing. Wait and see that they won't let you make that phone call to the embassy - then let's discuss this again.

The economic and other stupidity of it all (360 Baht purchase price, what a bargain) is kinda obvious, isn't it? Rub it in, you who won't make mistakes.

Mistake? No, you broke the law, and I very much suspect, intentionally. It isn't as if there aren't signs on this stuff at the airport.

Cardinal rule for living in Thailand. Don't break the law, and nobody can touch you.

Now as someone who has lived in Thailand more than a decade quite successfully, I shall proceed to rub it in...."suffer in your jocks" (with aplogies to Darryl Kerrigan and the writers of "The Castle")

Edited by samran

"Individuals found to be in possession of smoking tobacco (includes cigars) in excess of 500 grams, and without duty stamps affixed, will be fined 4,675 baht per carton (10 packs). "

If you smuggle anything they will calculate the fine on all cigarettes, no duty free allowance for smugglers.

4 cartons times 4675Baht is 18,700Baht, same as they fined you.

Fairly clear-cut isn't it?

Maybe it's time i stopped smoking.

But as a smoker - the European B and H taste different from the Thai B and H. I think they (the European ones) are milder.

When i go to Thailand next year - i have a french friend who likes his wine and salami and cheese. I have decided that those products shall not be in my bag but in my friend's bag.

Voila!!

I would be lying were I to say I've never done it, but whether it's smuggling in a few extra ciggies, booze or whatever or smuggling prohibited cooked meat and vegetable products; if you're caught then you should pay up and accept the consequences.

Same for other 'victimless' crimes such as speeding.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, especially when each country's duty free allowances are well publicised and very easy to discover.

Onlycw, you took a chance and you got caught. It appears that you were fined the correct amount. Stop wingeing and learn from it for next time!

Why would anyone want to smuggle cig's into Thailand. They are ridiculously cheap to buy here. I bet cheaper than European duty free when bought at a 7/11

Cheers, Rick

Marlboro Lites are 780bt at the 7/11

Duty free Laos 350bt

Duty free Fakes, Poipet, 360bt and the vendors tell you the allowance is 4 cartons, and then grass on you to Thai Customs.... :)

No sympathy for the OP, plenty of posts on TVisa about this.

OP...you got busted, stop whinging and get over it.....you took a chance and got caught...This isnt tales of Swampy airport shake downs....you where "fined" THB 18,700 which is not far off the official fine anyway...you where not blackmailed, you could have refused to pay and done time in the cells and had your court case, and mentioned to the judge that the BiB had tried to blackmail you....get off your moral high horse.

The thing that really tickles me about your post is that you where caught smuggling and you wanted to phone the your embassy for them to sort it out....being to understand why the British embassy will not help people... :)

The OP broke the law, so it's not a Civil matter it's a criminal matter. The information is freely available on the Thai Customs website and I suspect at most international airports and airlines so there is really no excuse.

It's certainly a warning to others that the Customs are not mugs and with less passengers coming through the borders they need to maintain the revenue flow from the passengers that are still coming here.

I was stopped by Customs coming back from India a few years ago and had a couple of extra cartons of ciggies in my bag. When questioned I immediately owned up and the bloke searched my bag in a cursory manner while we had a general chat. I guess really it was small potatoes for him and probably not worth the hassle but he let me through with my extra smokes.

I wonder if he would have done the same for a Thai visitor? More likely he would be angry at a foreigner coming to the UK and breaking the law immediately on arrival. Surely it angers us all when foreigners break our laws so why should the OP expect any preferential treatment? In fact you should expect to be treated harshly by any foreign authorities. :)

Mistake? No, you broke the law, and I very much suspect, intentionally. It isn't as if there aren't signs on this stuff at the airport.

What does the law say actually? I understand you can't smuggle in cigarettes but can you actually declare excess cigarettes and pay duty or do you need some sort of import license.

Some brands of cigarettes are not available in Thailand so I can understand somebody bringing in his/her favorite brand. Possible or not?

What does the law say actually? I understand you can't smuggle in cigarettes but can you actually declare excess cigarettes and pay duty or do you need some sort of import license.

Some brands of cigarettes are not available in Thailand so I can understand somebody bringing in his/her favorite brand. Possible or not?

The basic gist of the penalty is what has been cut and pasted and which I shall do again below.

"Individuals found to be in possession of smoking tobacco (includes cigars) in excess of 500 grams, and without duty stamps affixed, will be fined 4,675 baht per carton (10 packs). "

If you smuggle anything they will calculate the fine on all cigarettes, no duty free allowance for smugglers.

4 cartons times 4675Baht is 18,700Baht, same as they fined you.

This can be found here at the Thai embassy website in London. It cites the Tobacco Act B.E.2509 (1966).

I haven't read the act but from what I've understood having worked for the Thai government is that all Tobacco related sale and distribution is controlled by the Tabacco Monopoly and via its conscessionaires. Anyone else basically has no business dealing with tobacco, down to individuals.

1 carton (200 fags) of any brand, that's yer lot!