Bangkok: Policeman Killed, 7 Policemen, 2 Civilians Injured In Double Attacks

webfact

I think it may have been the yellow shirts. Since the police were targeted, who were known to have sided with the UDD in this conflict by not doing anything to clear them.

Why do you say this? You do not know this at all, you have no proof.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(hi Thai wife opines): Many of the top brass are in their positions from corruption

Now is a great time to clean the cobwebs

Thailand can be a great Country again

But need to cut out the cancer first on both sides

Unfortunately, the corruption/cancer runs deep, and cutting out the cancer could kill the patient. Already, the patient (Thailand) is on life support and the intravenous fluids are running dry, and some punks in the basement are about to cut the power.

Here we go again. Someone gets hurt or killed and the anti-red bandwagon is in full song. Has to be the reds...no other explanation is possible. Only the reds

can do drive-by shooting. It was not that long ago when this same bandwagon was saying 'you can't negotiate with terrorists' But negotiations have taken

place and some agreements have been reached. Things have been coming together in small increments.....that's how negotiations work!!!!

Now that a possible solution seems close and things have been looking up....who wants to torpedo the whole thing........the Yellowshirts....Abhisit has to step down

according to them. It is them that does not want to negotiate. If they had their way there would never be another election, this year or next year on any other year.

They are terrified of an election because they are terrified that somebody might bring down their ivory towers and maybe they might have to give up at least a bit

of their power and wealth to the rest of the country. Democracy is a one way street in the land of Yellow.

FACT: If the reds had not taken to the streets in such a lawless and violent manner .. this would not have happened.

No matter what way you slice this, the reds have responsibility in this.

You all seem to forget the most famous Thai saying when Farang is in a car accident

MUST BE FARANG FAULT

IF FARANG NOT IN THAILAND

ACCIDENT NOT HAPPEN

SO MUST BE FARANG FAULT

Thais must now accept their own famous saying

If Red shirt not protesting, these things not happen

so must be Red shirt Fault

makes sense if Farang driving illegally.

if you drink and drive and are in an accident then it is almost always your fault regardless of the other facts in many western countries.

I don;t think too many Thais will have a problem blaming the reds for any of the violence and destruction caused by their illegal seize of the city.

Edited by jcbangkok

why do people automatically assume this is the reds, lets not forget the yellows don't want to go down abhisits 'road' so it is possible they are trying to destabilise the situation, as abhisit said the roadmap will only continue is there is no violence etc leaving the door open for people (including people in his own party) to try and derail it.

Here we go again. Someone gets hurt or killed and the anti-red bandwagon is in full song. Has to be the reds...no other explanation is possible. Only the reds

can do drive-by shooting. It was not that long ago when this same bandwagon was saying 'you can't negotiate with terrorists' But negotiations have taken

place and some agreements have been reached. Things have been coming together in small increments.....that's how negotiations work!!!!

Now that a possible solution seems close and things have been looking up....who wants to torpedo the whole thing........the Yellowshirts....Abhisit has to step down

according to them. It is them that does not want to negotiate. If they had their way there would never be another election, this year or next year on any other year.

They are terrified of an election because they are terrified that somebody might bring down their ivory towers and maybe they might have to give up at least a bit

of their power and wealth to the rest of the country. Democracy is a one way street in the land of Yellow.

FACT: If the reds had not taken to the streets in such a lawless and violent manner .. this would not have happened.

No matter what way you slice this, the reds have responsibility in this.

Sorry but this sound a bit like "Thai-Logic" to me. Its a bit the same like a police man said to me as I was involved in a accident a few months ago. The accident was not my fault but the police man blamed it on me with the overhelming Logic: If YOU were not in Thailand this accident had never happend...

Suspect 1 and 2 go into a bank to rob the bank.

Suspect 1 is armed with a gun that suspect 2 has no idea he is carrying

Police arrive.

Suspect 1 turns suddenly towards police with a gun

Police shoot and kill suspect 1

Suspect 2 goes to jail for the murder of suspect 1

This is not Thai logic but the law in most states in America. Had suspect 2 not participated in this illegal act then suspect 1 would never have been killed.

NO.. This is Thai logic...

The Bank is Guilty!

If the Bank wasn't in this location, then there would be no money to rob!!!

Ergo, It's the bank's Fault!

If this wasn't so close to the truth I would be ... :)

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

Sadly looks like one faction or another does not want the current stand off to end and is looking for more blood.

Look in direction of Sae Daeng and his "army" of thugs and you'll probably find who is behind these new killings.

I have to agree. All those weapons on hand, with CRES checkpoints at every exit (promising to confiscate all weapons and arrest carriers). What's a hot-headed loose-cannon indicted general to do? He's angry about a lot of things, not least because his barricades (which he directed the construction of for weeks) were never used, and will have to be taken down. He's angry because top brass have finally found their brass balls and are doing what they should have done months ago; bust Sae Daeng for treason. At least Seh Daeng doesn't have to worry about losing his pay and pension, as his good buddy Thaksin will shower him in riches.

Message to security forces: keep those cameras rolling. Don't let down your guard until the Red infection is far down the road, and all's cleaned up. Also: beware of booby traps left behind.

EDIT: if security forces are all around, as reported, ....and a drive by bomber/shooter goes zipping by - SHOOT THE FUKER!!!! Pull that weapon out, aim it, and POW! Murderer is dead. Do Thai brass teach their people how to handle a gun ?!? Just as Thai footballers need foreign coaches, so too, Thai security forces need foreigners to teach them how to shoot.

My office is right behind Central Chilom. To get there I must walk thru the Red encampment.

I can tell you for a FACT.. There are NO CRES Checkpoints anywhere around Chitlom.. and there have NEVER been any.

I have NEVER seen any government security force checking ANYTHING or stopping ANYONE from entering or leaving the area.

If anyone believes these Checkpoints actually exist, then they haven't been down there to see for themselves.

If the Government was serious about stopping this, then they MUST disband the Corrupt police and get some serious people that believe in Law & Order, and the primacy of the government, not the Mob!

CS

There is also no CRES checkpoint at Prattunam (corner rajadamri and petchburi rd). Red's are free to leave and jump straight on a Klong Saen Saeb boat and get the heck out. No check's whatsoever. There is army at various piers along the saen saeb before and after prattunam pier but they dont do much, I saw them taking photos of boat passengers the other day, but then yesterday they were not even doing that, just standing there. One of them dropped his gun on the metal floor of the pier and scared the shit out of everyone standing there though!

Edited by ozfarang81

NOTE: My comment can be taken seriously or sarcastically: PM Abhisti should "outsource" the military... bring a foreign "support group" that can fairly control the streets and (if needed), remove the Reds). This would keep the watermellon army and tomoto police from being "forced" to face confrontation with the Red protesters. It would also create such "shame" with the Thais, that maybe it would unite them to get their act together.

Two Thai policeman killed in attacks near Bangkok protests

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Two Thai policemen have been killed in attacks near anti-government protests in Bangkok, in a grenade blast and a drive-by shooting that also left 12 wounded, authorities said Saturday.

Police said in the early hours of the morning a grenade attack hit a security checkpoint in front of a city park that forms the edge of the protest encampment.

"Eight people including five police and three soldiers were wounded," the Bangkok Emergency Medical Service said. A hospital official said that one 35-year-old policeman died during surgery.

Earlier, one policeman was killed and four others -- two police and two civilians -- were wounded when a man on a motorbike opened fire on a patrol in the nearby Silom financial district, which is under heavy guard.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-08

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Verry strange? Motorcycle drives by....shoots several people........and noboddy is able to shoot back?????

It was a check point ,the police or soldiers are armed......and they know this can happen anny minute.....stilltheir fingers are not on the trigger ???????????????????

Strange ! Very strange ?

why do people automatically assume this is the reds, lets not forget the yellows don't want to go down abhisits 'road' so it is possible they are trying to destabilise the situation, as abhisit said the roadmap will only continue is there is no violence etc leaving the door open for people (including people in his own party) to try and derail it.

why do people automatically assume this is the reds

Because they are an extremist group hel_l bent on violence...

Occam's Razor: the most obvious/simplest explanation is probably the one that's true.

It's easy to run all over the countryside looking for wild explanations. The Yellows have a history of relatively peaceful protests, and it's bizarre to think the Yellows would have cold-blooded cop killers in their ranks. Plus, the Yellows don't have problems with cops.

On the other hand, look at what the Reds have been doing, who they've been harboring, their propensity for violence, and the most likely culprit for the dastardly deaths and injuries is right in front of your face.

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Two Thai policemen have been killed in attacks near anti-government protests in Bangkok, in a grenade blast and a drive-by shooting that also left 12 wounded, authorities said Saturday.

Police said in the early hours of the morning a grenade attack hit a security checkpoint in front of a city park that forms the edge of the protest encampment.

"Eight people including five police and three soldiers were wounded," the Bangkok Emergency Medical Service said. A hospital official said that one 35-year-old policeman died during surgery.

Earlier, one policeman was killed and four others -- two police and two civilians -- were wounded when a man on a motorbike opened fire on a patrol in the nearby Silom financial district, which is under heavy guard.

afplogo.jpg

Verry strange? Motorcycle drives by....shoots several people........and noboddy is able to shoot back?????

It was a check point ,the police or soldiers are armed......and they know this can happen anny minute.....stilltheir fingers are not on the trigger ???????????????????

Strange ! Very strange ?

NOT strange at all.... TIT... This is Thailand!

CS

As much as I do empathize with the family of the slain police, I can't help but feel that the police as an institution have brought this upon themselves. They are, once again as an institution, viewed as incompetent and a laughing stock. The general public's confidence in the ability for the police to do their jobs (ie, protect the public, apprehend criminals, etc), although already quite low due to the persistent corruption and bribe-collecting image they already have, has plummeted to rock bottom. Really – does anyone really expect a policeman to actually chase a criminal, or even a simple traffic violator? I hate to admit this (or not), but I have more than once in the past ignored policemen that have tried to "flag me down" on the side of the road, as: 1) I know I didn't do anything wrong; 2) I'm pretty confident they're not going to bother jumping on their "scooters" to chase me; and 3) no one else cares enough to perhaps jot down my license plate number to report to the authorities.

In contrast, back the in the U.S., "no one" likes (or at least wants to run into) the cops because they are generally competent and, the vast majority of the time, will do their jobs. Here, it seems, "no one" likes the police because they're corrupt and, to put it mildly, untrustworthy.

The redshirts are on the verge of getting what they want. It is more much likely that it is someone else who wants to disrupt the peacetrain. :)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG,

Agree with you: it could have been some other group, but prudence suggests it would be wise, here, not to speculate on all the possible "third-hands" in the frame, behind the scenes, under the rug, in the attic, in the basement, in the closet, etc.

If this is the "peacetrain," we fear its engine runs on human blood, its destination is chaos, and the schedule does not exist because we never know when it either stops or starts. All we can know is that we are riding in the "caboose," and the train is so long, and going around such a long curve, that we can never even see the loco-motive.

sadly, ~o:37;

Well said!

Indeed, and this present murderous activity is only an indication of what we can expect during an election campaign or, worse, if the govenment dissolves presently in the face of the always violent Redshirts demands. Extend these attacks throughout the country and we can see the Redshirt's manifesto to government power and authority. The only Redshirt manifesto to government office are M79 propelled grenades, automatic weapons, spot and shot sniper teams etc etc. This is the Redshirt manifesto while they speak cynically and vacuuously of democracy and democratic processes. The Redshirts are no more democratic than were Lenin, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot. An pardon of Thaksin individually and a general amnesty for his hired hands would produce monsters of the first order. This newest horror is testimony of the fact.

Abhisit must be supported in his position of an election later in the year and an election predicated on his five conditions and a sixth to include international non-government or UN observers. Agreed the cynical red leaders and Thaksin want a massive bloody government slaughter of the innocent lambs in red. Agreed Abhisit and Anupong are too smart to do such a thing, neither are they so inclined. We have a humane government against ruthless killer opposition leaders.

The government needs everyone's support in its rational and reasonable approach despite the Reds' worst militant factions which Red leaders happily will not control or contain now or in the future.

afplogo.jpg

Strange ! Very strange ?

shoot at a fleeing motorcycle?

Am guessing this happened very quickly and it probably took time to even realize where the attack was coming from but what would happen to the numerous bullets fired at the motorcycle that missed their target? Am sure the red sympathizers would be screaming about how the army killed innocent people on the roadway with their missed shots. FYI, not an easy thing to hit a moving target in this kind of situation.

why do people automatically assume this is the reds

Because they are an extremist group hel_l bent on violence...

oh so that means it MUST have been them, right? just like it was them that threw shit at abhisits house, just like the grenades were definitely fired from lumphini park etc etc etc.

Get real, do you really think that this could have only been the reds and nobody else? actually don't bother to answer that as no doubt the reply will be the same tripe as your last reply.

The fact is the clown abhisit has left the door open for ANYONE that wants to derail his roadmap, and up to now that includes the PAD and members of his own party, both are just as likely to be involved in this. No doubt sutep will appear telling us it was 100% the reds, just like shit throwing and 100% the grenades came from the park, both wrong i might add.

Here's another rambling thread blaming the "REDS".

Be clear in a situation like this, there will be many "loony" factions on BOTH sides who think that by engaging in this sort of stuff that they will stir things up or achieve some obscure aims.

This site has taken to screaming anti-Resshirt slogans rather than making constructive comments on the situation - as most of the posters are probably ex-pats surely they would do themselves a favor if they stood back and took a dispassionate look at the situation rather than engage in partisan rantings and baseless accusations.

I've said it before on this site, Im increasingly astounded by the incredibly infantile comments that the expat community is capable of on this site.

-But, isn't it interesting that grenades keep being used and hasn't it been reported that the Red thugs have launchers...or am I wrong (I know, the protesters all have red clappers)? Next: I am assuming most of the viewers on ThaiVisa are "farangs" like me. Many of us are raised to question, evaluate, and discuss issues--. So it will be natural to read comments that will disagree with yours or mine.

Are you looking for launchers? Google to "potato kanon" : with some pvc pipes and a BBQ igniter,you can shoot a patatoo (or something else) for about 200-300 yards !

After that take the pipes appart and there is nothing to see ,simple as it is !All those things are available for everyone on internet ,so if you dont know what you are looking for ,you will not find it !

As with most political struggles, the masses (this time its red shirts and yellow shirts) are pawns in a power chess game to determine who controls the bribes, kickbacks and government graft in Thailand. As in a real chess game, pawns are sacrificed in order to win.

While the red shirts have real grievances as they have been disenfranchised by Thai Society, if you think this “opera” is about them you are sadly mistaken.

Look closely at Abihist’s recent compromise; he has proposed elections in November; however most people know that September is the key date. Whoever controls the Thai government is September will be able to appoint their own people in the annual police and military top level appointment shuffle. That is what the current demonstrations are about; to determine who will be in control in September.

While it is the minions on the ground that suffer, don’t blame them for this tragedy that has engulfed Thailand; blame the power brokers who behind the scenes pull the strings.

This whole thing could have been avoided had Thaksin shared his profits on the sale of Shin Corporation with the Privy Council as they expected. But he didn’t, he kept the profits for himself and started the current chess game.

Edited by Utley

Occam's Razor: the most obvious/simplest explanation is probably the one that's true.

It's easy to run all over the countryside looking for wild explanations. The Yellows have a history of relatively peaceful protests, and it's bizarre to think the Yellows would have cold-blooded cop killers in their ranks. Plus, the Yellows don't have problems with cops.

On the other hand, look at what the Reds have been doing, who they've been harboring, their propensity for violence, and the most likely culprit for the dastardly deaths and injuries is right in front of your face.

So the yellow that ran over the policeman in his pick up truck, the yellow that stabbed a policeman while they tried to storm parliament, do you want me to go on?

Some of you need to open your eyes to the bigger picture. i bet if I read the shit throwing thread you are in there exclaiming how it was the reds and how disgusting they are, only to get your eye wiped, no doubt the same with the grenades fired from the park that now are proven to be fired from the hospital etc. Some people never learn.

Edited by tonywebster

Isn't it time now to impose martial law now for six months ... the red mob will never give up peacefully!

Safety of the innocent civilians should be the PM's priority. There is no safety for them while armed mobs roam the streets unchecked. Clear the streets, only then can serious negotiations happen. To barter with terrorists while they play these games is ridiculous. Peace in Bangkok NOW.

I hope police men who sell weapons are happy with themselves today.

Edited by lazurus

Here's another rambling thread blaming the "REDS".

Be clear in a situation like this, there will be many "loony" factions on BOTH sides who think that by engaging in this sort of stuff that they will stir things up or achieve some obscure aims.

This site has taken to screaming anti-Resshirt slogans rather than making constructive comments on the situation - as most of the posters are probably ex-pats surely they would do themselves a favor if they stood back and took a dispassionate look at the situation rather than engage in partisan rantings and baseless accusations.

I've said it before on this site, Im increasingly astounded by the incredibly infantile comments that the expat community is capable of on this site.

-But, isn't it interesting that grenades keep being used and hasn't it been reported that the Red thugs have launchers...or am I wrong (I know, the protesters all have red clappers)? Next: I am assuming most of the viewers on ThaiVisa are "farangs" like me. Many of us are raised to question, evaluate, and discuss issues--. So it will be natural to read comments that will disagree with yours or mine.

Are you looking for launchers? Google to "potato kanon" : with some pvc pipes and a BBQ igniter,you can shoot a patatoo (or something else) for about 200-300 yards !

After that take the pipes appart and there is nothing to see ,simple as it is !All those things are available for everyone on internet ,so if you dont know what you are looking for ,you will not find it !

M79's will not work when fired from a potato launcher.

I must have missed all those deadly potato attacks... :)

The current situation of lawlessness and turmoil is a direct result of the red shirts actions. It may had been them (or a faction among them) or not, but they have created the environment were this sort of attacks can flourish and be carried out with impunity.

If you organize a peaceful gathering, and for some reason or other it turns into a brawl, it's your responsibility to call it off to allow peace to return.

afplogo.jpg

Strange ! Very strange ?

shoot at a fleeing motorcycle?

Am guessing this happened very quickly and it probably took time to even realize where the attack was coming from but what would happen to the numerous bullets fired at the motorcycle that missed their target? Am sure the red sympathizers would be screaming about how the army killed innocent people on the roadway with their missed shots. FYI, not an easy thing to hit a moving target in this kind of situation.

Offcours it happens verry quickly ! So ,be prepared ,put obstacles arround so noboddy drives by !

Or were they expecting a motorcycle pushed slowly by 2 man (so you dont hear it comming? Good idea!)???

post some snipers in the windows of the 3th floor ,they shoot straight down ! Or never hearth about tackticks ?

If you cant shoot ? What are they doing there ?

If the redshirts are innocent of the recent attacks and if they share the goal of reconciliation then they will announce today the immediate dismantling of the stages and will disperse.

If they do not do this then either they are guilty of last night's attacks or they aren't interested in reconciliation. Their illegal presence in the heart of Bangkok is dangerous to the peace plan and to security forces and civilians.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Pay back from the yellows for police not doing their job or red shirts trying to cause chaos so they can move weapons out of the area.

I think the latter, JC. Maybe a change of police to red police so they can look the other way when the weapons come out.

Exactly... there is too much gossiping, speculation and conspiracy theories circulating... just clear the protesters away already.... how many times do we have to say, the have broken the law by violating the emergency degree. There is a reason why the degree is in place, and now we know why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the yellow that ran over the policeman in his pick up truck, the yellow that stabbed a policeman while they tried to storm parliament, do you want me to go on?

Some of you need to open your eyes to the bigger picture. i bet if I read the shit throwing thread you are in there exclaiming how it was the reds and how disgusting they are, only to get your eye wiped, no doubt the same with the grenades fired from the park that now are proven to be fired from the hospital etc. Some people never learn.

The yellows were violent. There were incidents where they attacked police while protesting, and they attacked reds while protesting.

But during the yellows protests, were there any grenade attacks that were attributed to them?

Over the years, the grenade usage has always been against anti-red institutions or anti-red protests. I don't remember a *single* occasion when the reds have been targeted by a grenade. (please correct me if I missed something).

That fact means that it is a fairly valid assumption that the (violent faction) reds did this.

My condolences to the injured and families of the dead.

Seems there is a targeting of police, more than before. That is interesting,

are 'they' trying to get the BIB to actually take a stand or get out of neutral?

It was on Silom, where the reds intended to go until reigned in.

Does this mean reds radicals are trying again to expand the field of play for greater financial hardship?

And thus pressure on Abhisit from the mainstream public.

Easy enough to think the hardcore reds not agreeing with the 'roadmap',

might want to bring things to a boil again. Or bring Yellows to the street to

bolster multicolors, and cause a massive R/Y street riot, or simply more targets for Ronin snipers.

Or it is a Thaksin/Ronin group just trying to create hatred, and enough distrust

to scupper the 'roadmap' and cause a red massacre by the army at Raja.

Which would be intended to bring down Abhisit earlier and free the army list

in time give the Thaksin team enough clout to rule the roost. This is a strong possibility

the political street wing is somewhat cornered and losing effectiveness,

so call in the shadow warriors to make it clear no roadmap will work.

And target police so they bercome more against it because they know

THEY will be greater targets, while just standing around.

Certainly one faction wants to blame reds for any violence and clean them out.

Certainly one faction wants to use a massacre of many reads as a faster game changer.

Dovetailing insanity of political purposes. Both have access to M79's and guns...

Certainly many highly indoctrinated red nutters see the roadmap as a capitulation by the red leaders,

and may be venting their anger at their side losing the ; true path'. When in reality this never was

the intended path, but just as social manipulation mechanism to get to that path.

Yellows are right in one sense. Giving in to ANY election demand, even in the best sense

of Thai compromising, is giving into a violent pressure group on the street to change

the legal framework of governance.This is terrorist tactics getting a win....

It would have been good to clear them out in March, but even then clearly the Ronin's,

or who ever, were prepared to create a April 10 at any time.

And last nights acts could be away of creating a May 10 massacre, and to prevent the red leaders

from packing it in,and thus making the army move to clean them out inevitable,

and thus also a Ronin shooting range created and suitable carnage to throw blame with.

So, who's interersts are best served by scuppering the Roadmap and a way out,

and creating greater a long lasting rally to quell, and a bigger deadlock to force out Abhisit....

Who might this be with nothing to lose but all to gain?

Edited by animatic

Isn't it time now to impose martial law now for six months ... the red mob will never give up peacefully!

Safety of the innocent civilians should be the PM's priority. There is no safety for them while armed mobs roam the streets unchecked. Clear the streets, only then can serious negotiations happen. To barter with terrorists while they play these games is ridiculous. Peace in Bangkok NOW.

I hope police men who sell weapons are happy with themselves today.

Well said...